Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:06 PM

at a loose ends

Not sure if I'm in the right area,I need help,I've just been through the most upsetting time of my life I had to have my best friend put down. Shelby was five years old and very healthy,She started showing flu like symptoms,throwing up,laying around all day,not wanting to drink etc,so I took her to the vet,He said she was probalby dehydrated so he took blood and and put a litre of fluids under her coat and told me to keep an eye on her and call back in the morning when the blood work would be in .So I did, i was up all night with her and in the morning called the vet.He told me her kidneys wer failing and to bring her in so he could start her on an iv,She was on the iv for three days,so Friday comes around and he tells me to come get her she doing better her levels are down and she's moving around and the iv line keeps breaking so i should come get her they can't handle her anymore. So fine I think she's better or he wouldn't release her,I bring her home and stay up with her all night again,she isn't any better so i phone the vet he's gone,yes he's gone on holidays and not told me, so i assume maybe i'm over reacting .She still not eating so I take her to another vet first thing Monday morning they immediately start her on fluids and direct me to the emergency vet clinic,which my vet didn't even mention.The people at the clinic did everything they could to save my little girl but it was to late by the time they got her she was to far into renal failure to be able to save her.It is my belief that if my vet had kept her on fluids untill her kidney levels where correct I never would of had to put my little one down. Is there anything i can do to make sure this never happens again to any other pets this vet treats?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:12 PM

OMG That is awful! I am so sorry for your loss, and for it to happen in such a manner is unthinkable! That vet certainly needs to be reported to whichever veterinary board he belongs to! At the very least, he should have arranged for a back-up and briefed the new vet on the situation!

Where about are you located? Maybe someone on here knows who to contact for such a complaints.

Again, my deepest sympathies for your loss!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
~Cat Servent~

Also so sorry for your loss {{{HUG}}}, and the way this vet has treated you and your beloved pet was atrocious! Do look into reporting him for sure as, though you culd not save your puppy, maybe you could save others from a similar situation.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:20 PM
banned user

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I can't even begin to imagine your frustration. Having to deal with the loss and still be left with so many unanswered questions.

I hope others here can help piece together some of this puzzle. Try posting this in the "ask the vet" section also.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
OMG That is awful! I am so sorry for your loss, and for it to happen in such a manner is unthinkable! That vet certainly needs to be reported to whichever veterinary board he belongs to! At the very least, he should have arranged for a back-up and briefed the new vet on the situation!

Where about are you located? Maybe someone on here knows who to contact for such a complaints.

Again, my deepest sympathies for your loss!
I would like to thank you for your message it does help to know people care.I'm located North of Newmarket in York Region/Ontario
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:44 PM

Again like the others in here, I too am sorry for your loss. Sounds like your vet was in a hurry to get somewhere...on vacation you say eh.... I'd get rid of that vet, let everyone know who he/she is... Kick them to the curb! Remember the good times you had with your dog.
A dog is an endearing confidant who always listens and gives the best advise - which is to give no advise at all. A dog is one of the few constants a person can count on in an unpredictable, ever-changing world. Debanneball
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

My sympathies to you also. The callousness of that vet shocks me. Sic em!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:16 PM

Oh dear! I am very sorry for your loss! I agree, report him and get him outta there!! That's horrible and I am so sorry you had to go through that!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss you need to take this to the veterinary board. I think if you contacted the University of Guelph they would point you in the right direction so this quack does not do this to another dog and owner. Again you have my deepest sympathies