Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old December 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM

kitten behavior problem?

Hey I just got a new kitten recently, she is a purebred ragdoll, whom I named Drusilla. The problem I have with her is that she likes to follow me everywhere in the house and attack my feet as she does this. Besides it being annoying, I am afraid of accidently stepping on her, since she is always running through my feet as I walk. She is also really tiny, so it is easy to overlook her as she is walking behind me.
I know there have been a couple of other threads regarding this topic, and I have read them. The reason I am starting a new thread is because I have already tried everything suggested to stop kitten bites. I have tried distracting her from biting by giving her toys, which works for a few seconds. She has a sister (older, but same mom), who is only a month or two older, they play together sometimes but the minute Drussila sees me she runs to attack my feet. I have also tried telling her to stop firmly, which really does not work. I just really dont want it to become a habit in drusilla.
I mentioned that she was a ragdoll because I have read that they have a tendency to follow their human companions around, which is totally fine with me, just as long as she is not attacking my feet constantly.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to kittenhood!!! Honestly, sounds quite normal to me, and she will most likely grow out of it. How old is this girl? How long have you had her? (and how is it possible that she has a half sister from a different litter that is only 1 or 2 months older?).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

My Daughter has 2 kitties who also decided that my feet are the bestest playtoys in the world. walking down the hall was dangerous with 2 kitties attacking my feet. I have fixed the problem somewhat. they very rarely attack my feet now, but they do still want to be close to me so if I am walking from the front of our place to the back they come thundering down the hall and have to try to get there before me. and it is actually really funny how they seem to know if I am going all the way to the back or if I am just going to the bathroom halfway down the hall.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I have found the best way to teach the cats what is not allowed is to spray them. I have a plant water spray bottle, cause I can set it anywhere from fine mist(when they are close) to the jet (for across a room) and I fill it with a water and vinager mix. the vinager can not hurt them, but they hate the smell and do not want it to hit em again just make sure you do not get them in the face, I am sure that it would sting the eyes.
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Catlover2

The spray will likely work, but I would use just plain water, no vinegar.
Another thing you might try is just stomping your feet loudly when she's about to attack. I've trained my cats to stay away from a door and trying to sneak out whether I'm coming in or going out. They back away from a door now.
If your kitty is very bold and insistent, if she attacks your feet & you don't have the spray handy, give her a tap on her paw with your foot, hard enough that you mean business but certainly not hard enough to hurt her, will likely work. She might think twice next time before she attacks your feet. Let us know how things work out.
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM

catlover, if she's in attack mode she will probably take it as an invitation to wrestle, and dig in with all four paws of claws. (we never deliberately did this, but with 7 kittens it was impossible to avoid every kitten dogging our feet, especially when two attacked at once.)
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You have a typical Ragdoll kitten, who wants to play. Of course if it was me, I would have pick the kitten up, give it some kisses, then distract it with another toy. . Another thing you may try is to put your hand between your feet and the kitten as the kitten comes in for the attack with a very firm no. The kitten will get the message that she will not be able to attack feet.

I am confused about the age difference between the kittens, one or two months ???? Do they play together?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Sorry for the confusion, the two babies have the same dad, but different moms. So they are technically step sisters.
haha yeah when she attacks me, she looks so so cute that i cant help but pick her up and kiss her and then try to distract her, which only works for a short time.
My slightly older raggie (Messalina) has gotten less playfull recently, maybe because she has entered cat teenage years and thinks playing is just for babies??!
I just got Drusilla a little over a week ago, so maybe the other cats are adjusting to her, and that is why they dont play with her much. I dont know.

I tried spraying her with water, but thats a game to Drusilla also. I cant wait till the other cats are used to her, so they can play with her instead.
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Don't know how much reading you have done on this site, but we DEMAND pics in payment for advice, even if the advice is not helpful

I would love to see your Ragdolls

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM

I will definitely post pics of Drusilla when I get her to stay still for a sec. But for now I only have pics of the maine coons and Messalina (my first raggie kitten).

Just as an update about Drusilla: She is STILL not getting along with the other cats. Weird part is she does not seem to want to get along with the other cats, especially the alpha male (scipio). She especially gets mad at him when I or my roommate pet him and not her. It is funny because she runs up to him and gets up on his face and stares him down, which he does not like.
Attached Images

Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Catlover2

First of all abolutely adorable and beautiful kittens! Yes, hard not to spoil them for sure.

Sounds like Druscilla is a very dominant little girl for her age. Your other cats are still trying to figure her out and adjust to her. It may be funny now, but I wouldn't let her get away with "getting up on his face and stare him down". You're going to have to watch her. I think that will lead to some problems later on as she gets bigger and stronger. I think you have to realize she has a strong "alpha" personality and she will continue to push his buttons, and likely the other cats as well, and try to topple "Scipio the king". When she gets in his face, intervene, tell her "NO" and lift her away from him and put her beside you and distract her with a toy or petting or a small treat, and at the same time you could also pet your alpha boy, as if to say "it's OK". You want Druscilla to know it's not OK behaviour to do that to Scipio, that you won't tolerate it and that you're more fun than he is. With Druscilla, you've got to be the alpha in the house. Just my
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for the pics, your kitties are beautful.

I think you should allow your cats to determine their hierarchy, unless there is some serious beating is being done, otherwise you are going to be supervising them for the rest of your life, driving yourself crazy, and never enjoying your cats. You can't reason with cats, they are not human. They are trainable to a point, but not like dogs.

I have 2 dominant females, one is actually aggressive (Sweet Pea) the other just wants to be left alone and wants a 10 foot shield around her (Puddles). Puddles won't fight back, so these two are kept separate unless supervised. I have brought in litters of foster kittens and two additional adults and have allowed them "sort" things out. This has allowed my foster kittens to be so well socialized (because cats can do this so much better than humans) before adoption (none turned out aggressive). My male, Jasper and my semi feral, Rose are both easy going and allow Sweet Pea and Puddles to rule and that is OK with them and OK with me, it keeps them getting along.

Now to your boy, Scipio, if he didn't like what Drusilla was doing, he would let her know and let her know very strongly. Cats don't put up with other cats doing things they don't like, especially from a kitten. I think if you are interfering or perhaps interpreting the interactions incorrectly, you could drive yourself crazy and confuse the cats. Your boy will let the kitten know what she can do to him and what she can't.

When you are patting Scipio, I think Drusilla sees him being relaxed and happy and she is hoping for some play with him. He probably doesn't want to bother with her at that moment and he should let her know.

Out of all my litters of kittens, I have never seen a mad one, only scared . If none of the other kittens want to play with her because she is too dominant, then they will try to ignore her. I have seen this done with some of my litters, when the kitten then starts to play nicely, they will include that kitten back in play.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Catlover2

Even in the short time you've had Drusilla she has bonded to you and not to the other cats. When you or roomate pet Serpio it seems she's very jealous of him and doesn't like to see him getting any attention. That's why she runs over and wants it all, but is doing it in a dominating manner by "getting up on his face and stares him down". You say Scipio "does not like" it. But what does he do? Does he hiss and swat her? stay put and stares back and not back down? just sits there? or is he giving in (submitting) to her by hissng and then going away to be somewhere else? as if to say 'whatever, I'm outta here'. It's up to you to decide whether to let them sort it out themselves as L4H has suggested. To me for her age, she sounds very dominant and especially to your boy for some reason. Unless he's happy or resigned to take 'second fiddle' in the household or doesn't seem to care is something only you can decide. You should watch him closely for any changes in personality or otherwise. A change in hierarchy can result in [U]other unwanted changes[U] especially in males, like inappropriate peeing elsewhere in the house to assert his dominance or show his displeasure. I would watch their interactions carefullyto see how Scipio's and Drusilla's relationship is developing.