Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM

Angry she LET her dog attack!

My DB and I took our dogs to the small dog park that we visit nearly 3-4 times a week last night. We ONLY go to this park because its small and usually all the people that are there are people we know. Our dogs grew up with the dogs there and know and get along with them amazingly well!
WELL! Last night, with the weather changing I guess ( I live in Florida, so the 83 degrees last night means the "weather is changing") There were SO many people out that we had never seen before. This lady that I'd never seen there before had her Golden Retriever named Stitch.
As soon as he came in, he attacked a dog that had gone up to Stitch for a sniff. The lady STOOD there and watched! So I brought Patrón over to me and made him sit by me and wait until everything calmed down. ( Patrón has NEVER bitten a dog nor snapped at one, but I've taught him that at any time two dogs are fighting he is to come back to me, which worked really well when ONE time I took Patrón to a different park that was bigger and he was bitten bad enough that he needed stitches, but after being bitten he came right to me and sat down )
After a few mins Stitch is playing good and seems ok, so I let Patrón know its ok to go play again.
About 10 mins later the Stitch dog attacks another dog, and when the other dog's owner tried to get her dog away from Stitch, Stitch goes after the owner!! AGAIN Stitch's mom DOES NOTHING!
About this time DB and I are like, "Ok this has to stop", but III am NOT leaving with my dogs, who play great with ALL dogs, when this lady is allowing her dog to openly attack dogs and people.
Another girl that comes to our park a lot also goes to another park down the road, told us that the lady had Stitch there a few days ago and he started a fight that involved SIX dogs, and THREE owners were bitten. My guess is after that incident she decided to come to this park where people might not know her.
Anyways, I'm going to call the Park Control people, since this dog is dangerous and she needs to keep him out of the park. There have been about 5 other people that told me this dog does this repeatedly EVERY time he comes to the park.

UGH! Just had to vent!
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

You have every reason to vent. This is absolutely not acceptable. I have seen this happen several times in the DPs but I am pretty vocal about 'owners' with bad behaviour. Whenever there is a fight, it seems that people freeze even if it is their own dogs that are getting the worst of it....and who do you think breaks up the fight...yep iggy!

This woman should be fined and I hope that if any dog was hurt that she pays the vet bill. Unfortunately sometimes hitting people in the pocket is what they understand.

Now I am venting with you............
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Her pocket isnt the ONLY place I wanted to hit her!
I have seen some pretty bad owners at the dog park before, but she tops the list! Whats worse is she didnt really freeze up, she said " Oh Stitch, Dont be Grumpy"....
UGH!
I am so grateful that Patrón is such a sissy mommas boy, he comes to me sits down and gives me this look like " Mom, seriously, what is WRONG with that dog?"
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What the world does this lady think her dog is doing? Wonder if she allows her children to do what ever they want too?

Let us know what Park Control says.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Just talked to the Park Control, they said they would have people go out tonight and see if she came there. I feel bad because I don want anyone to get in trouble, but the dog is dangerous, and I personally dont want anyone getting hurt!

I fell like saying to her "If your dog is dog AND people aggressive, do us all a favor and dont bring him to the dog park..." but it should be kinda like a DUH thing...
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
-

This comfirms what I always say , there no bad dogs , only bad owners.

I hope the other people will complain about her as well.
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM

This lady sounds like a whackadoodle . If she's trying to socialize her dog to get better manners out of him it's clearly not working. Has anyone tried talking to her to let her know that this is not Ok ? Just so she's not claiming that she doesn't know any better

I'm glad your dog is such a good boy

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKat View Post
This lady sounds like a whackadoodle .
That is a very polite way to put it
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:35 PM

I am SO thankful that he is such a good boy too! Especially since at 80lbs if he WANTED to attack another dog, he could really hurt one. Thank GOODNESS that all the hard work we've put into him and out other dog Jackson has really paid off.

And "whackadoodle" doesnt even cover it... She called Stitch's behavior being "Grumpy"....
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBullMom View Post
do us all a favor and dont bring him to the dog park..." but it should be kinda like a DUH thing...
Or maybe rehome the dog to a more responsible owner so the dog won't have to suffer the consequences should the dog bite somebody.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM

LOL I'm not very good at the bad names, I was the kid in high school still calling people "poopy heads" and "big meanies" . Good job telling the Dog park people though, I understand you don't want to make waves but better do it now before someone gets seriously hurt

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Oh myyyy, she told her dog not to be "grumpy"???!!! I'm surprised the owners of the other dogs, especially the ones that got bit, didn't tell her not to bring her dog there anymore until it can behave better

Hopefully she will come back tonight while the park people are there and this can all be nipped in the bud before someone's dog (or themselves) are seriously injured.
Popeye - kitty - 1+ yrs.
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I don't know which bugs me more, the fact this woman is a complete moron or the fact that we all know that if her dog was a bully breed it would have been dealt with differently. You're baby makes the breed proud. Personally i'd have called the police while she was still there. I don't care if i stir up crap, the dog bit other dogs and people.
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I don't know which bugs me more, the fact this woman is a complete moron or the fact that we all know that if her dog was a bully breed it would have been dealt with differently. You're baby makes the breed proud. Personally i'd have called the police while she was still there. I don't care if i stir up crap, the dog bit other dogs and people.
True enough - if this dog had been a bullie breed it would have been a done deal! Very sad but true!
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM
-

I agree with Aslan. It's also because of eedjits like this woman that I do not like dog parks. I hope the Park Control bans her from there.
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Lol, I actually like whackadoodle, it sums her up pretty good!

Sadly it DEFINITELY would have been handled much different had it been a "bully" breed. You just dont see many Goldens that act like that....

AND I wanna thank all the bully moms and Dads out there who have "good" (IMO there arent ANY bad bullies course I'm a little partial) bullies that can be ambasadors for the breeds!!

I hope the people arent mean to her about it, but i DO hope they ask her not to come back. I'm sure its some kind of liability for them now that its been reported. Like if they dont do anything about it and someone does get hurt... I TRIED to warn them!
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM
<3 XOXOXO <3

what a scary situation to be in. I would have been hysterical if that dog attacked either one of my dogs. It is such a shame that some people are clueless! Hopefully the problem will be taken care of soon
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

What an idiot. She's stupid to think that nobody will do anything. I wonder how she'll feel when her dog is taken away from her after they've bit a person and that person has complained. I see you live in Florida. I live here too, Miami and in my city/county if a dog bites someone they are taken away from the owner and euthanized! I can't be sure if they are given a free pass the first time or not, maybe it's the second bite, regardless that should be enough to make some owners like that woman train her dog better.

I feel sorry for that dog for having such a moron of an owner.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
True enough - if this dog had been a bullie breed it would have been a done deal! Very sad but true!
Yep you got that right.

Just wanted to share with you a situation I witnessed yesterday.

A gentleman was walking his APBT, the dog was leashed and wearing a pinch.
They were walking along the bike path. There was a woman there playing fetch along side the path with her Sheltie.
The Sheltie, charges the APBT, the man put himself between the two dogs.
He asked her nicely to please call her dog off. The APBT, was sitting behind him, calm, non aggressive.
The Sheltie was trying to get around him, he kept blocking it. He again asked the lady to call her dog. She just stood there smiling at him and told him that if his dog had an issue with hers, he should walk his dog elsewhere.
He shortened his lead and tried to walk his dog around the Sheltie. The Sheltie bit his dog from behind.
The APBT, turned and barked. The woman then says to him, "if your dog bites mine I"ll call the cops".
Not being able to handle watching this woman obviously looking for a problem anymore, I took out my cell phone, walked over to the man and said, " I seen her dog bite yours, would you like to use my phone to call the police?"
The woman then proceeded to yell at us, that her dog couldn't possibly hurt his dog, after all his dog is a Pitbull.
I told her that all she had to do was call her dog, let him walk by and she could've resumed her game of fetch. But no, she had to instead put both dogs at risk.
The man, who was extremely frustrated at this point, politely declined the use of my phone and said, "they would probably just blame my dog anyway, I just want to finish our walk and get him home."
I then told the lady to hold her dog so he could leave without further incident.
She asked me why on Earth would I side with someone who owns such a dog anyway, to which I replied, "I sided with the responsible pet owner, it has nothing to do with breed." All she could say was "we were here first". I told her it didn't make a difference, she should have controlled her dog like he was controlling his.
With that I walked away.
1/2 hour later, I watched as she got into with two other women who were walking their dogs on leashes, a Choc Lab and Golden. Once again the Sheltie, out of control, lunging and snapping at the dogs.
Some people never learn.
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

With people like that, it's always the other owner/breed that's the problem.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

these friggen morons are everywhere, took the boys not 1 o2 but all 3 to the school yard to play with their bully friend Cage. This bimbo with a designer kleenex box cover with legs shows up and lets her dog off leash. Now with T.O's laws, Cage is muzzled. This evil little woman dog charges cage snapping at him, thank god cellphones have camera's. then it comes flying at mine. Cage never moved he stayed down the entire time, even when the dog bit him, i'm no where near as tolerant as this woman. I snagged this snapping little thing in one hand and took Quincy's leash off and put it on the attacking dog. Stood on the leash and phoned the police. The woman is screaming at me the entire time to let go of her dog or else. I live near a timmies, cops around all the time. took maybe 5 minutes for them to show up. They took the memory card from my phone, they got mine and cage's moms info. They were contacting the humane society when i left and saying something about a fine. grrrrrr.
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Investigative researcher

Aslan--you are my hero. Luvmypitgirls, you have more patience than I, and I applaud you.
I really despise dog owners in general, and I have always owned dogs-but they are well trained, and so am I. I SO much wish there was a test and a license required before you could legally own any pet--with the funds we had to pay for said license going to pay workers and provide care in shelters, or the wages of the testers. The current laws requiring a dog or cat license to own one in town should include a test to see if the person paying the fee has a clue as to what responsibilities they have. The problem is world wide, and yet the powers that be always ban breeds instead of people.
The idea that pet ownership is a right rather than a privilege has got to change. In the meantime, those of us who frequent forums such as this and do our best to battle on the side of responsible pet ownership can only help each other as best we can.
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRR View Post
Aslan--you are my hero. Luvmypitgirls, you have more patience than I, and I applaud you.
I really despise dog owners in general, and I have always owned dogs-but they are well trained, and so am I. I SO much wish there was a test and a license required before you could legally own any pet--with the funds we had to pay for said license going to pay workers and provide care in shelters, or the wages of the testers. The current laws requiring a dog or cat license to own one in town should include a test to see if the person paying the fee has a clue as to what responsibilities they have. The problem is world wide, and yet the powers that be always ban breeds instead of people.
The idea that pet ownership is a right rather than a privilege has got to change. In the meantime, those of us who frequent forums such as this and do our best to battle on the side of responsible pet ownership can only help each other as best we can.
Very well said DoubleRR, I agree with you 100% on each point you've made.
Especially that ownership is a privilege not a right.
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
these friggen morons are everywhere, took the boys not 1 o2 but all 3 to the school yard to play with their bully friend Cage. This bimbo with a designer kleenex box cover with legs shows up and lets her dog off leash. Now with T.O's laws, Cage is muzzled. This evil little woman dog charges cage snapping at him, thank god cellphones have camera's. then it comes flying at mine. Cage never moved he stayed down the entire time, even when the dog bit him, i'm no where near as tolerant as this woman. I snagged this snapping little thing in one hand and took Quincy's leash off and put it on the attacking dog. Stood on the leash and phoned the police. The woman is screaming at me the entire time to let go of her dog or else. I live near a timmies, cops around all the time. took maybe 5 minutes for them to show up. They took the memory card from my phone, they got mine and cage's moms info. They were contacting the humane society when i left and saying something about a fine. grrrrrr.
This bimbo with a designer kleenex box cover with legs..LMAO!
I'm so glad you took the action you did aslan, kudos to you girl! Wish more people would take a stand like that, it is not right for any breed to behave in such a way, hopefully this woman does learn her lesson. But somehow I doubt it
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

People are such idiots! Good job aslan and LMP

I'm always worried about the stupid people in my building....there's a pom and a cocker whose owners let their dogs walk all around the building - even right through the lobby - with no leashes. If Kailey barks at them, WE get the dirty looks! She's really gentle off leash but definately has issues when on-leash, and I'm so worried one the these dogs is going to walk right up to her and get in her face. If she feels threatened and snaps at them, we're going to get the blame.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I hear ya all on the owners..

we lived in a triplex. (we were on top floor with Duke. neighbours in middle were arre friends) They had a Akita Female Nikita (sweet dog & was geat with duke.. when he was 15months they got another Akita from the Akita rescue) He hated Duke.

1 Day while I was in there apt chatting to neighbour Harvey was in crate growling & barking at me. I turn to leave after our chat & he lets him out.

Harvey Attacks me I start screaming & have my arm near my elbow in his mouth. blood all over My hubby comes barging into apt pulls Harvey off me. puts him in crate & owner says It was MY fault for not being quick enough to get out of apt!!!!!

we kinda stop being friends & since that time the owner would let him out while I was walking Duke he bit Duke 3x & had both my kids cornered in teh Lobby after school. (they were 8 & 6) he stood there pretending to get key out for apt.. My kids were terrified!

We moved.. & after that we heard he had attacked a mentally disabled tenant who needed 80+ staples/stitches to close his wound. (I required 10)

& also bit 5 other Dogs in neighbourhood.

BUT The only report that was filed was me to animal control.

and They STILL have him!!
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Sorry that this has happen to you! Unfortunately there are many people that just do not comprehend having a dog or any animal for that matter, comes responsibility!

Some people just do not think anything is wrong with the unwanted behaviour of the dog. They get mad at the dog though if the dog would take their food away but have no sense of understanding that one needs to teach the dog proper house manners. That would also mean off leash too.

I am sure if your dog would be the one running after her and or her dog she would be all up in your face, filing charges calling your dog a mean and dangerous dog and other things too.

Personally I wish people wouldn't think that owning a dog is a thing to do. (ie designer dogs because somebody else has one).
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBullMom View Post
Patrón has NEVER bitten a dog nor snapped at one, but I've taught him that at any time two dogs are fighting he is to come back to me
wow, great training!!! I really should learn how to do that, so when i get my dog i can teach him/her

I do!!
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
The APBT, turned and barked. The woman then says to him, "if your dog bites mine I"ll call the cops".
Not being able to handle watching this woman obviously looking for a problem anymore, I took out my cell phone, walked over to the man and said, " I seen her dog bite yours, would you like to use my phone to call the police?"
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Excellent, excellent, excellent!
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM

An update one this"
The lady with the dog that was attacking everyone has not been back since this incident... She either finally realized her dog was NOT suited for the park, or the park patrol people talked to her.
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!