Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLostSouls View Post
Your complete misunderstanding of the exercise doesn't mean it doesn't work. The point of the exercise is to make your dog realize you are in charge, not him.

Every time someone like you claims I'm full of crap, I prove them wrong. Your opinion means little to me. What I do works every time. Sorry, big dogs, little dogs, none scare me.

Believe as you wish. People come here asking for help and I tell them what works. You're free to disagree with me, but I'm not afraid of my 8 pound dog, yet you appear afraid of yours, yet I'm wrong. Bring me your 8 pound dog, I'll have him behaving within minutes, without pain, without hurt, without choke nor pinch collars, without treats and he'll be happy to do it.

I really don't understand why people are so hostile towards me. I know what works and I try to describe it here to the best of my abilities. Allowing your dog to dominate you is why we have things like Pit Bull bans and that's the bottom line. Humans have been breeding dogs for hundreds, if not thousands of years to be followers, not leaders nor partners. Your fear of your dog biting you is typical of what goes wrong when you're not in control.
What in the name of all that is holy makes you think I am afraid of my 8 pound dog!?! He has never worn a choke or pinch collar and has been trained with pain free corrections, plenty of reward and has not once been rolled into submission. Not only does he do what I ask of him instantly - but he does it gladly with anticipation of what comes next. While I am, most certainly, the Alpha in my home - I do not "dominate" my dogs.

And - I have no fear of my dog biting me or anyone who has a real understanding of dog behaviour. But. If YOU think you need to roll him into submission - I can promise you that he absolutely will not tolerate such strong arm tactics.

Honestly - you haven't proven anyone wrong. You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion but most people here have dogs that are well behaved canine citizens and we managed to do it without getting physical with our dogs. This doesn't mean that we don't know what we are doing or what different tools are available for different dogs with different issues. What it does mean is that most of us don't believe that one needs to "dominate" our dogs into "submission" with outdated tactics to show our dogs who the "pack" leader is and to train them to be great family pets.