Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 25th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Learning fast

Question Time, guess work?

Ok, i have a few new questions.
to start with we have a new mouth to feed so I need to get her on the straight and narrow, her story is sad and she coems to me at 1 year old (approx, still has shiny white teeth) and is a cross of something (chow chow and something smaller like basset hound or dauchound?, yes picture will follow , she is under weight by a good amount, I estimate her at 30lbs and for the sake of feeding extra I made it 15 kgs and I'm going with 3% rounded it up to 500 grams (because thats what I packaged the pork in for Riley) Riley has extra's like herring today to make up the 750 grams he needs (he's putting on weight nicely now, he finally has some meat on his ribs and when he lies down you have to look hard to see any bone through his short hair) I jsut need to get food into Missy so I'm going to do what ever I need to get started, lighly seared and chopped into 4 bits and she inhailed it, not interested in chicked necks other than licking them, but we have time to introduce more once I am happy with some weight gain, she has long fur like a chow but when you stroke her it's like running your fingers over a xylophone, and thats through the thick fur We also noticed tonight she has worms and she also needs spaying,
so to the questions?
1) I know this is the wrong place but will I have to retreat Riley?,
2) How do you estimate the desired weight of a dog who you have no idea what they are meant to be, like in mutts? (we don't know this dog so i guess I have to overfeed and back off is she starts getting overweight)
3) With worms will she still put weight on? (there the white tiny flat ones)
4) Initally would you feed both dogs seperate? (she is crate trained so I was going to put her in the crate while Riley has his 10 minutes to do his stuff, then hold Riley while she has her fill as she will need longer to adjust to having to chew once she starts on the bony stuff)
Were off to the vets tomorrow to start on some of the issues but I was hoping for some advice on issues she will not be able to cover.
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Honest Contributor

sorry i don't know anything about the worms part but for the feeding seperately at first, definite YES until the two dogs are well adjusted and used to each other and their "space". it can take one wrong look at the other,s meal and bam, fight it on.

i'd go slow at first, feeding too much can give the runs. feed a bit less than what you think your new girl needs, and if all is well, nice stools etc, then slowly increase the amount until she can eat a good quantity of food per meal. after the worms are gone and she's been spayed, she'll put the weight on, slow and steady

have you named her yet? and congratulations by the way! i'm so thrilled for you guys!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Learning fast

She came to us as Missy and she is a real Missy, so Missy it is
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Weight gain prolly wont occur with worms, but dont quote me on that, however the wormers from the vet work quickly, I noticed a difference in Floyd within a few days...
Congrats and I cant wait for pictures
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yeah, I would get the worms sorted out asap.

As for amounts, like Techno said, start slowly. Id say give 3% of her current weight. if shes handling that well, and starting to put weight on, then stick with it until you feel she looks healthy. Then cut back to 2%.

Congrats on the new pup!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Learning fast

Well this morning was easy, cut hers into quarters and down in went, 40 seconds and were done, Riley showed her how to tackle a riblet after but I think she was full as she just layed down and watched him she's taken to Raw perfectly, we just need to grab a poo sample and get it to the vets this afternoon