Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogs Off Leash At Wrong Time in Park

I took Marty back to the woods today and it was during the hours dogs have to be on their leashes. We have not been there for awhile and we both enjoy it there. On the way back to our car a woman was at the entrance to the woods and she had her dog that was not on a leash and the owner was not carrying one with her. I told her to keep her dog away from my dog . I have real bad balance do not like having a dog running crazy around my dog. The woman let her dog come right up to my dog and was standing right over Marty with his face right over my dog back and the dog fur was raising on his back. I do not know if the dog was growling as I can't always hear that sound. I did tell the woman her dog belongs on a leash and she said she bring her dog everyday . I guess she feel she does not have to follow the rules.
I find it very frustrating that dog owners have from 7-10:30Am and from
4-7:30 Pm to let their dogs run free and yet they bring their dogs to the woods to run free when it not allowed. OK I am done with my ranting...
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Did you get her license plate number? Assuming she drove there. Hope not, but you might need it some day.
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Did you get her license plate number? Assuming she drove there. Hope not, but you might need it some day.
I did not see how the woman got to the woods , there was a car parked there but I had no idea if it was her. I did call the ACO and he said he would step up his parole. There is a fine for letting your dog off their leash at the wrong time.
People bring their children there a lot and they may only go when dogs have to be on their leashes so this is another reason I feel dog owners should follow the leash law. A child could hurt or bitten. I did tell the ACO that I may start writing down people license plate number and the ACO told not to do that as I could get into a fight with the person and he does not want that to happen to me.
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree I do not understand why some people feel they are above rules. I run into the problem with dogs off leash in non off leash parks. I take Clark there because all dogs are suppose to be on leash, he is not a dog friendly boy. When a dog runs up to play he sees it as aggressive and it is not pretty. And guess who they yell at duh. I call AC all the time and complain and have yet to see an officer there ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
I agree I do not understand why some people feel they are above rules. I run into the problem with dogs off leash in non off leash parks. I take Clark there because all dogs are suppose to be on leash, he is not a dog friendly boy. When a dog runs up to play he sees it as aggressive and it is not pretty. And guess who they yell at duh. I call AC all the time and complain and have yet to see an officer there ever.
That has happen to me too. I take my dog to a park where dogs are not allowed off their leashes at any time. I told one woman to keep her dog away from my dog and me and told her dogs are not allowed to run lose at this park. The woman told me myself! I bet the AC will come around after a dog or kid get attacked by a dog at your park. I really love taking my dog to the woods as there are so many things for him to explore with his little nose. I love watching his nose wiggling a mile a minute. LOL!
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

It works in reverse too. People who bring their on leash dog to the off leash park.
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

The parks that allowed dogs off their leashes at certain times in my city are open to the the public at all times. Anyone can use it, dogs are allowed on leashes at the same time dogs are allowed to be off their leashes . I personally think this a bad idea as the dogs that are off their leashes have run of the whole park. My biggest issue is that dogs are NOT allowed to be run near the playground but it is OK to allow dogs to run lose around the woods when kids are there. I was hoping the city was putting up fenced off area for dogs that where off their leashes . I do not like to bring my small dog to a park that has dogs running lose so this it way I am fed up with dog owners that abused their
privilege to let their dogs run free. This is a privilege not a right , my city does not have to give dogs owners this privilege and I am in my rights to bring my dog to any park on his leash and any time of the day as long at the park it open.
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah, I was thinking of dog parks specifically designated for dogs to be off leash in. The situation you describe is how it is where I go. I use county forests or crown land. Under control dogs are allowed off leash. But it's not a rule so sometimes a person will walk their dog on leash too. It's usually not a problem since these are large areas and the dogs and people can spread out.

Except at the pond. There is only one pond and when someone with their dog on leash comes down to the pond they are often discomfitted to see so many dogs, mostly big, running around loose. No one is right and no one is wrong. It is sad for the leashed dog if a group of loose ones go over to greet it and it's frightened.

I can't tell you how many times we've convinced the poor leashed dog's owner to let it off and the dynamics have changed. As soon as the leashed dog realizes it's free to flee if it feels the need it no longer acts defensive and thus the other dogs lose interest in it.
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I really do not feel safe having my dog run lose , I bring him to a doggies playgroup, Marty loves going there. I do bring Marty to a duck pond and dogs have to be on their leashes at all time. Some people think dogs can run lose at all the parks in the city and they'll let their run lose at pond . When I tell a dog owner dogs are not allowed to run lose at the pond some people will get mad at me and others well put their dog on their leash. My city really needs to put up signs saying which parks allow dogs to to run lose and the hours they can.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Sadly Clark cannot be off leash with other dogs there will surely be a fight and Clark will be the aggressor. Too many people,dogs or too much noise make him very tense and edgy. So since I know this about my dog I will not put him or any other dog in danger. I do not go where there are off leash dogs or should not be off leash. But I am sick of people who think they have control of their dogs after they call them 10 times then have to physically go get them. If they really had control over there dogs I would be fine with them off leash.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Sadly Clark cannot be off leash with other dogs there will surely be a fight and Clark will be the aggressor. Too many people,dogs or too much noise make him very tense and edgy. So since I know this about my dog I will not put him or any other dog in danger. I do not go where there are off leash dogs or should not be off leash. But I am sick of people who think they have control of their dogs after they call them 10 times then have to physically go get them. If they really had control over there dogs I would be fine with them off leash.
I bring Marty to parks where dogs are not allowed off their leash at any time, but there will be one person that has their dog running lose. We have not gone back to the woods yet but I love to go there in the winter after a fresh snow fall. My dog loves it too. I love dogs but I do not love having a dog put me at risk of falling and this is what get me so up set with dogs owners that do not follow the leash laws.
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM

very dangerous, didn't you read on the news about a baby almost getting mauled by a dog?

happens everyday and most of the time the dog is provoked...just imagine if they didn't have a leash. Yikes!