Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 19th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Am I a dog napper?

Yesterday, I took my friend back to her house after church. As I was walking back to the car I saw two little dogs by the fence row. I went over and they were covered in burs and they were dirty and nasty. The one had his foot caught in the fence row. I got it out he was bleeding pretty bad. I took him to the vet and they fixed his leg. I made them appointments to get their shots and taken care of. One of the ladies at my church wanted the little black one so she came and got him. So now I have the little white one that was hurt. I have him a appointment to get to the vet becuase he has worms bad and needs his shots. My first question do you think I did the wrong thing by taking them even though they were not mine??? And than second how do I house train the white one (Marshmellow). I have been taking him out every hour and he has been doing well. Do I need to get up in the middle of the night and take him out? He went pee before we went to bed and than we put him in the den with the baby gate. And he barked for ever it was so sad. So I went down and laid with him till he feel asleep and went to get up and every time I moved he would wake up and start barking again so finally I just went up stairs and after a little while he went to bed and we heard no more out of him but when I woke up this morning to take him out he had pooped down stairs. I know he is little and is just learning but what I am wondering is should I take him out in the middle of the night until he learns to hold it or until he gets the hang of it?

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:08 AM

I see nothing wrong with taking them in and getting them medical attention. What I think may be wrong is that you haven't tried to find the owners. These dogs may be lost??? Have you tried to see if anyone is missing them??

Heather
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
I see nothing wrong with taking them in and getting them medical attention. What I think may be wrong is that you haven't tried to find the owners. These dogs may be lost??? Have you tried to see if anyone is missing them??

Heather
I agree Goldenmom, the owners should be found... but I'm not sure... if the dogs had really bad cases of worms, would the owners even care? I mean, they didn't take the first step to providing any health care to these animals?! Maybe they didn't know they had worms!?!?
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I have taken their pictures and I am going to post them on a poster and see if the owners will call. I do not think they will, we have puppies dropped off all the time. We live in a small little town and there are dogs and cats everywhere. The pound sent notice out and started picking animals up like crazy. And the shape they were in I really doubt it but I am going to give it a try. They were full of womrs and fleas. We gave them a flea bath and I picked 234 fleas off the little white one and Justin (my husband) picked 159 off the little black one. (We were trying to see who would win lol ) any way yes I am going to try but I doubt we will have any luck. Until than what should I feed them?

Proud mommy to...
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
I agree Goldenmom, the owners should be found... but I'm not sure... if the dogs had really bad cases of worms, would the owners even care? I mean, they didn't take the first step to providing any health care to these animals?! Maybe they didn't know they had worms!?!?

I do not see how they could not have noticed they crawl out of them ALL the time. I went and both diappers to put on them at night and stuff becuase they are everywhere when they wake up and play and when they did poop in the house it was so nasty (it was full of nothing but worms). I am looking for the owners I am going to put up a sign at the vet and the shelter and put them up around the neighborhood and see what I find out.

Proud mommy to...
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesss04
I do not see how they could not have noticed they crawl out of them ALL the time. I went and both diappers to put on them at night and stuff becuase they are everywhere when they wake up and play and when they did poop in the house it was so nasty (it was full of nothing but worms). I am looking for the owners I am going to put up a sign at the vet and the shelter and put them up around the neighborhood and see what I find out.
Ewww!! I didn't realize it was THAT bad!! (we need a barfy emoticon!)
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey my post went poofies!

Long and short you did a wonderful thing wonderfu wonderful thing

I think you should find out if someone's been looking for them, never know what happened surrounding their disappearance right So a microchip scan and yes some advertising.

I wonder how far away from home they are poor darlins then Angel you came along and rescued them ((HUGS)) you did good real good
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

They are so bad. It is gross I have a weak stomach. I am so ready to get them to the vet and get it taken care of. Do worms eat the insides of their stomach or what do they do? I know they are not tape worms ( I think tape worms look like little piece of rice) they are not like that they are a littel bigger and kind of tan and white a cream color kind of but I was wondering what they are and what they really do to the dog?

Proud mommy to...
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
Hey my post went poofies!

Long and short you did a wonderful thing wonderfu wonderful thing

I think you should find out if someone's been looking for them, never know what happened surrounding their disappearance right So a microchip scan and yes some advertising.

I wonder how far away from home they are poor darlins then Angel you came along and rescued them ((HUGS)) you did good real good
How and where do I get a micro chip scan? When I do find the owners I am not going to be happy with them not taking care of these precious babies. They need a vet and there is no way if they had anything to do with these dogs could they not have noticed what kind of shape they were in. It breaks my heart to see them suffer. Justin (my husband) was like I feel like we are starting a shelter here at our house ( he calls me Big Heart) and just laughs at me. I hate to see puppies and kittens miss treated. Luba what is a good food to feed them? They are still litte no more than 4 mts. I will post pictures and you all can tell me what you think they are. They kind of have a lad face. The little black one had long hair but he is with another lady in my church. Any help or suggestions would be nice.

Proud mommy to...
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Worms are parasites, they compete with the animals ingested food. So the animal becomes malnourshed.
Jane
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

So they do not eat the dog but the dogs food? I get it thank you all for your help and I am sure that Marshmellow and Midnight thanks you as well.

Proud mommy to...
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesss04
How and where do I get a micro chip scan?
Princess, if you take them to any vet or shelter, they can scan for a microchip, I suggest the vet though. If/When they complete a physical on the puppies they should use a scanner on their backs - between their shoulder blades. If there is a microchip this should tell them. Then the number produced can tell them the owner (if any) of the dogs. I believe they will do teh scan for free. Everytime I take Briggs to the vet he scans it.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

There are worms, like hookworms, who attach themselves to the animal's internal organs and suck blood.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Thank GOODNESS for people like you....not many folks would take it upon themselves to "rescue" a couple of dogs, and take them to the vet on their own dime. I think you did the right thing, and I see you are taking steps to find the owner(s)....especially providing them with a loving home instead of leaving them at the pound.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Dumb Question

Does anyone know what legal messures can be taken if you are to take a dog?
The reason I ask is because I almost "stole" one this weekend. I was camping and a family had a puppy tied to a tree in 30-35 degree weather all weekend. They would leave their site for approx 10 hrs a day to go boating and to the beach and she was left tied, she wouldn't of even had water if it wasn't for me. She was in the shade but still... I saw over the duration of the weekend this dog being walked once and it was for only about 200 yards. I woke up early one morning and had to walk by their site to go to the washroom and she was still tied up while they were snug in their trailer. They would sit at the fire and at the picnic table and still she was tied to a tree. The tree was at the opposite end of the camp site and there is no way she could reach the family. My family took turns going to play with her and untangle her from the trees. I honestly wanted to take her home. I'm sure she was only a baby but I'm not positive, I did look at her teeth and I'm sure they were baby teeth. I have this nagging feeling that I just should have taken her, but I obviously knew it was wrong as it was there puppy and it wasn't my place to step in. I have a feeling this is going to haunt me for a long time.

Sorry to jump on to your thread Donna
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Donna I'm sorry!!

I just realized that maybe by my post you would think that you were wrong in taking marshmellow and midnight (great names). I by no means think that though you did a wonderful thing, they had no family near by and they were injured. I wish you all the luck with them and I think you did the right thing, most people would have kept on walking
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Princess, just be careful not to 'prejudge the owners' remember these dogs may have ran off accidentally or even could have been stolen.

Dogs run off in heat and sometimes go for miles and miles and are gone for months or even YEARS!!

So, perhaps the owners are aholes but perhaps they are also living miles and miles away frantically searching for their doggies or doggie..maybe these two met up on the road together.

I think ur wonderful and you're the cream of the crop!!

Feed them small amounts at a time as I'm sure their tummies can't handle big meals and the parasites OMG are gonna take a toll on them.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather MH
I just realized that maybe by my post you would think that you were wrong in taking marshmellow and midnight (great names). I by no means think that though you did a wonderful thing, they had no family near by and they were injured. I wish you all the luck with them and I think you did the right thing, most people would have kept on walking
I was about to post in a state of confusion, but this cleared things up!

Anybody who rescues an animal is a brave soul....I don't know if I would have the guts to do it.

I am sorry to hear about the puppy at the campground, things are clearer when you aren't directly in the situation, but perhaps if this is something that is witnessed by anybody, talk to the park ranger or whoever is running the campsite, make sure that you follow up on your comment/complaint and find out what is being done about it. At least you gave the dog some attention, and thankfully you were there to give him/her water at least.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:47 PM

about the worms

The most common worm that you would see in a dogs stool would be roundworms - all right, I know using food comparisons stink for people with delicate stomachs - but they really do look like spagetti (and yes tapeworms look like rice). Now that is easy as pie to treat but I wanted to point out a little fact - you can catch them too. You have to be pretty unsanitary like not washing your hands before you eat or smoke ect - but you should be extra careful to do thorough hand washing till they are worm free. The thing about roundworms is that the egg(s) get ingested by the host, they hatch in the gut and then go into the body for a little excursion till they mature, return to the gut to happily lay more eggs. This is a bit of a problem for the animal if heavily infested as they are punching tunnels through the dogs innards on these journeys. The problem is if you get dog roundworms the worms get a bit confused as you are not thier proper host and can get lost - making cycts ect (some people even get one floating in thier eyeball).
OK now that I have completely grossed you all out - don't panic! You can only get this if you consume the eggs (therefore have to eat some concentration of dog poop). Just wash wash wash and you will be ducky We really do need a barf icon
Michelle
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

heather, my solution is this- if in that sit. i would untie the dog when they are not around and take him to the pound or shelter. go back and when the family appear tell them he got of the rope and a ranger or whoever picked him up. that way they wont worry (or kids) and the pup safe.
princess you did the right thing, the only thing to do. what if you did not take them, gosh knows wht their fate may have been. if the owners show up give it to them, but i doubt they will, you have just removed one of their problems for them, monsters.
do you have heart worm there?? not trying to scare you or anything but it is big here, i know it can be really dangerous and gets to the dogs heart and kills them my friend lost a dog to it (but happens more to country dogs around sheep etc). if i were you i would go to google and look up all the info on worms you can find, all types. you cant know for sure but it is good to be uptodate on all the info and know what you are dealing with.
i saved a baby pup 8yrs ago, she was in an awful state and very sick, the owners never cared and what do you know- we have a beautiful healthy happy girl today, i will never regret helping her, and dont you ever either, just know you did the right thing and little marshmallow and midnight will be eternally thankful for your meeting..
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all for your advice, it has been a very long night. I will post on another thread to explain it ALL!

Proud mommy to...
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Princess, you did a good thing and thank goodness you picked them up and helped them. I agree there aren't many people who would pick up 2 stray dogs and take them to the vet and spend their own money on the dogs.

you did a great thing. let us know if you here anything.

Heather, I'd be careful. One of my fellow DDB reps stole a dog from a yard (which the owner of the dog happened to be an Atty). This dog was tied to a tree 24/7, no food or water and noone ever played or gave this dog attention.

So one night when she saw everyone sitting in the house watching tv, she went into the yard and rescued the dog. We all think she did the right thing. The atty was an ahole. the rep gave this dog food and water as the owners never did. She checked on this dog on a daily basis until she took him.

The sad part of this story is, she got fined and he got the dog back.

So my best advice would be if it's by your house you can see if there is an area rep for Dogs Deserve Better in your area. If your somewhere else like camping I would notify the ranger and have him come down and see for himself what condition the dog is in.

Take pictures, or use a camcorder as proof for the shelter or SPCA.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com