Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM

Preparing Your Dog For Halloween

One of the most common things I find that owners do with their dogs on Halloween is to put them in a crate in the basement out of the way in order to avoid excessive barking at the Trick or Treaters. I don't know about you but this is NOT where I'd want to be if it was me.
Halloween gives us as dog owners, the opportunity to teach them to be good at the front door when people come calling. If you start working on this now, before October 31st and prepping your dog for frequent visitors by Halloween night both you and your dog will enjoy the evening much more and your dog will have learned a valuable lesson about manners at the front door that will be useful all year round!

So, how do you prep your dog for Halloween? I start with what I call the 3 D's(distractions) of training. You will need 3 people for this exercise. One to ring the doorbell, one to handle the dog and the other to answer the door. Here is the scenario:

The doorbell rings and the dog goes directly to the door barking. The dog handler approaches the dog and attaches the leash if it's not already on and turns with the dog leading it away from the door towards its mat, which should be laying at least 6 feet away from the door. The dog is commanded to 'lay down' on the mat. Then, the person on the door opens it and proceeds to greet the 'visitor' loudly with much enthusiasm. (Remember, the kids won't be quiet coming to your door on Halloween!) If the dog gets up before instructed to do so the door is immediately shut on the guest and the dog is returned to the down position on the mat with a firm , "NO....DOWN". This is repeated until the dog no longer is barking or lunging at the guest at the door.
Practice this every time someone comes to the door and your dog will have a much more enjoyable Halloween night!!

Happy Halloween and good luck!
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

If this works than this is a great treat..
Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, I would need 18 people to assist (for 6 dogs). That would mean I would have to throw a party, buy beer and pizza to entice these people to help me with this.. Not likely. But I like your approach.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I may try this, I have a door greeter barker. If I can add, she barks like mad runs to the door, if she doesn't recognize you she runs scared to the kitchen and hides. Should I force her to stay on the mat? I would like her to stop the nuisance barking for sure. Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I was one of the lucky ones, my dog took to halloween like its her own personal holiday, she dons her costume and we go out walking with the trick or treaters, we pass out treats (we get none at our house) she poses for pics with some and shares lollipops with others (her bad habit) then we go to my moms to watch the rest of the trick or treaters come for candy, she loves kids and to her this is a treat to sit at the door and bestow kisses, but I love your idea and will keep it in mind for future dogs.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

My two don't really care about the door either. The first couple visitors get barked at by the younger (10) lab, but after that she's figured it out and all she wants is to see who's there and give kisses out with the treats. The older one couldn't care less! We're blessed, and they're not afraid of the firecrackers either thank goodness. The only real issue that comes up is later at night when the police and firetrucks are out dealing with the trouble makers the sirens make the lab howl.
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Floppy Dog

We're one of the lucky ones too. Lady puts on her costume (white Pegasus with rainbow wings & mane) and goes out with the Beena & G-Man while I stay at home handing out treats.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.

Tags
barking, dog training, obedience