Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

White eye guckies, how serious?

Kita has eye snots, coming out of her right eye. Its a good amount too that I have to wipe off every so often, she usually has clear runny eyes and always has, but the whitness is cauing some concern for me.
There is no green or yellow tinge to it, its just like white glue, but a bit lighter than that.

I checked her eye for eyelashes that may be tucked under, and there are none, no scratch or any debris in her eye lids.
The white of her eye is a bit red, most likely due to the irritation from ?????

I have all intentions of bringing her to the vet tomorrow after work if things havent cleared up any, but im just wondering how concerned I should be.... Cause im quite worried right now.
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM

This is fairly common in my little guy - there are times when I have to wipe it several times a day. It sorta comes and goes. I did mention it to the vet and she did not seem concerned.

The fact that is seems to be a new thing for Kiya definitely warrants a vet visit IMO...but the fact that it is clear is a good sign I believe.

I hope all is ok
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Some things that go on with the dogs I am comfortable with "waiting out" for a few days, but this is the first time eye problems have ever occured around here. Its completely new territory for me, and I am understandably a bit un nerved by it.
Im going to call the vet tomorrow while Im at work and see what they have to say, of course this has to happen before the big vet switch
So... next question, which vet should I go to with her??? the regular one who has been treating her the past 4 years or the new one, who isnt pushing me into things like annual vaccines?
All the dogs were going to Meiks vet as of April 22nd but if her eye is still cruddy tomorrow, shes clearly going to go in sooner than that.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

It's just a cold. Phew!
The vet wasnt as concerned as I was, he saw nothing in her eye either, and no scratches.
He said this time of year alot of dogs get colds... I never knew that.
Anyways, although its a tad greenish this morning, it has slowed down on the leakage, he said if it continues for the next few days or gets worse to go back in, luckily I wont have to pay another examination fee if thats the case. But he'll prescribe something for it then.

Thanks for the reply Loves Labs.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I didn't see your post until now. Hunter had the same thing last year and we brought him to the vet about it. We were also told it may have been a cold, but it wasn't serious or anything.

Glad that it isn't anything more serious
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM

That is good news!! Good to hear
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I am glad it might just be a cold..... and nothing serious
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
-

I'm glad it's just a cold , so lots of rest and vitamin C for Kita
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I feel kinda silly now... I mean I took the day off work today (plus I wasnt feeling so hot this morining myself) but yeah, took Kita into the vet and its just a cold... Im glad its just a cold though. I was concerned that if i didnt take her in today it could get worse and something may happen that required an eye amputation ( which I am positive is NOT the correct terminology but im dimwitted again today)
Lucky for her and myself, its nothing serious!
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Half Way To Crazy

don't feel silly, think how you would feel if you didn't take her in and it got worst, then you would be kicking yourself from here to kingdom come... think about it you saved yourself from having a sore but
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM
-

Just a little experience from "my side of the pond". My guys tend to get the guckies at this time of year too but it's more irritant based than viral.

Spring is in the air. The wind is starting to blow around all the silt and salt dust accummulated on the roads and buildings. So when the gang is outside they are gin contact with it just by walking. And if we let them, they are rolling in it and scratching it up. Windows in the house are more likely to open so it's settling on everything. The floor surfaces are likelier to be dirtier because the windows are open and because we are all tracking it in.

During Spring I sometimes think I could easily walk around the house 24-7 with a spray bottle of vinegar in one hand and the vacuum in the other and it would STILL not be clean.