Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 30th, 2017, 10:50 PM

Raccoon In Backyard.

I live in a subdivision in Markham and my backyard is pretty much wooded. Over the course of the past couple weeks, my Maltese has been going nuts at night in the backyard, because there has been a small raccoon back there. I thought this stupid animal would be tired of getting chased up, but it’s still hanging around. I am quite bothered about the safety of my Puppy and I want it out of my yard at any cost. Obviously, I don’t want her to get scratched up and get sick from it either. What do you guys suggest? Should I go straight up getting a trap and move this animal? Will it be safe? Or should I call for a wild removal service? Please let me know your suggestions.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; July 31st, 2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: No promotional links, pls
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:20 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi Alene
I live in Ontario as well and I would suggest that you contact your SPCA or the OPSCA. As you are probably aware we have a high problem with rabies in certain areas around Ontario so perhaps the raccoon is ill. It seems odd unless its a baby and maybe its mom isnt around for some reason...Maybe they will assist you with its removal. I know you can rent traps and bait them but I would be concerned in transporting a raccoon out of its area on the chance it could spread disease.

Also I wouldnt let your pup eat any of the raccoon poop either. Lastly they will fight so please keep your pup on leash and i wouldnt leave it unattended.

Best of luck we have some in our area too! they little buggers

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 10th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Though raccoon rabies is back in Ontario (we were declared free of it a few years ago but it's back) the bigger threat to your puppy is likely Distemper. That's not very likely either if the baby raccoon is healthy and acting normally. A big raccoon can beat the snot out of a big dog, so do not let your little Maltese out alone in the dark. I go out at night with our Lab and find just clapping my hands alerts the skunks and raccoons to move out. Sometimes the kids at night church service next door applaud back.

Please contact your local animal control. Markham probably has a licensed trapper on call. Or contact your nearest Ministry of Natural Resources (I think that might be Maple District for you, if that office even still exists). There are strict rules on trapping, even for nuisance animals, and strict rules on re-location of nuisance animals. Re-location can be a death sentence for an animal - to put it in a strange place where it does not know water or food sources, or dangers like roads, predators and the biggest danger to them, us, humans.