Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Question My puppy won't quit doing her business inside!!!

Please HELP!!!!
I have a 4 month old toy schnauzer who absolutely REFUSES to potty outside!! We got her when she was about 11 weeks old. She is the sweetest most loving puppy & I love her to pieces but I am starting to stress out. I am new at all of this so I apologize if I sound like I don't have a clue I am home with her all day & let her out very consistantly but she only sniffs around outside, then when i let her back in she goes straight for the carpet & pee's. I did in depth research about everything "puppy related" before we got her but she always pee pee's & poo poo's on the carpet. We have an 8yr old lab/collie mix who we thought she might learn from just by example but not so much We got him after he was house trained so I have never been through this. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do?!?
Thank you!!
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Puppies are a handful, aren't they.
I would say that you need to go back to potty training 101 - she will learn if you are patient and consistent:
  1. Don't just "put her outside"; that will not teach her what to do. TAKE her outside, on a leash, and stay with her until she does. Ideally you should not allow her to run around too much - let her walk around you and sniff, etc but discourage her if she starts to play. Watch carefully, and exactly when she starts to potty say the clue word "go pee", or whatever you like the clue to be. Then, the second she finishes, give her a yummy, yummy treat, praise her in a happy voice, basically throw a mini-party to show her how good she did. Repeat. Then repeat, then repeat - .
    If nothing happens in 5-10 minutes, go back inside for 15 minutes, then out again. Do that about 15 minutes after every meal, immediately after a nap, before and after a play session with you or your other dog, and every time you see her walking in circles and sniffing the floor.
  2. Clean ALL the areas where she use to go extremely well, with an enzimatic cleaner. This is as important as the first point, actually. She has learned, wrongly, that the spot to "go" is the one that smells because that where she went before, so it's really important to clean it really well. Her sense of smell is way, way better than a human's.
  3. Every time you cannot watch her 100% of the time she should be confined in an area that's really easy to clean or crated. Crating her will also help with potty training; dogs naturally like a clean den and will try to avoid soiling their bed if given the choice. Also, keeping a house leash on her at all times will help you to take her out quickly.
  4. If you see her squatting, clap your hands to startle her a bit (but not do loud to terrify her) then scoop her up and take her out.
  5. If she made a puddle on the floor, sigh and clean it ; whatever you do, don't scold her - she'd already forgotten that she peed on the floor and will not know why you are angry with her. Moreover, scolding or yelling after the fact will only "teach" her to go in a quieter place, out of your sight - NOT what you want, right?

Good luck and patience, she WILL learn.
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Mirela gives bang on great advice.
This is the way to do it.

I have 5 dogs and it took me about 1 year to house train one of them (the evil min pin .) Finally - we got it figured out but we had to be consistant and also followed the same routine without fail.

Keep plugging away and there is an end to this mess.

Tags
#potty training, #puppy, #schnauzer, #schnauzer potty training, #training