Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Question:

My Abyssinian has been in heat 3 times THIS month! I don't think this is normal. Is there something wrong with her or is it her breed?

thanks for your help.

Answer:

Cats will come into heat every other week right through spring and summer. They go into heat when around 5 - 6 months old and are in heat for 1 week and then off heat for 1 - 2 weeks, then back into heat etc.

It is possible that there may be a cyst on the ovary. The only real way to treat this is to have her spayed.

Martin Slome DVM
Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Unit 40-4
2 Promenade Village Shoppes
Thornhill
Ontario L4J 7Y3
Tel. 905 771-9855
Fax 905 771-7260
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:31 AM
LOVES Animals

Cool I feel your pain

I really feel your pain. I have 3 cats of my owen and I never get a day to myself. My cats are constantly in heat. I have 3 cats so one of them is in heat a week. SO I never have peace and quiet in my home.
I would get them spayed but I cant afford it.
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Threecats, you should look around in your area for low-cost spay options, call rescue groups and the humane society, see if they have any suggestions, they often have arrangements with sympathetic vets, save up your pennies, stagger the spayings over two or three months if that's what it takes. Did it occur to you that the fact that your cats are constantly on edge might be contributing to their negative relationship with your dog? Just a thought. But please do it, unspayed females are susceptible to serious diseases later on, which would probably cost you more in vet bills than what it would cost you to put them out of their misery now. Not to mention unwanted kittens if one of them should get out. Please!!

Someone from Threecats' area, weigh in here...any ideas?
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Not from her area but in my opinion there is no excuse for not having a pet spayed or neutered. Taking on the responsibility of a pet means responsible in all aspects of ownership...not just housing & feeding. If someone cannot afford to alter a pet, how can they afford to treat this pet should a medical emergeny arise? With three cats the odds of an emergency happening are X 3. With 3 intact cats the odds are even greater. One emergency vet visit could cost more than spaying all three cats.

Check local shelters or Vet teaching hospitals for spay/neuter programs.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Not from her area but in my opinion there is no excuse for not having a pet spayed or neutered. Taking on the responsibility of a pet means responsible in all aspects of ownership...not just housing & feeding. If someone cannot afford to alter a pet, how can they afford to treat this pet should a medical emergeny arise? With three cats the odds of an emergency happening are X 3. With 3 intact cats the odds are even greater. One emergency vet visit could cost more than spaying all three cats.

I totally agree with you Karin.
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Threecats, I got my threads mixed up, I see that you never mentioned a dog, sorry. But please spay your cats anyway, they are not just horny when they are in heat, they actually suffer! Over and out.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

ummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCats
I would get them spayed but I cant afford it.
My theory is this and it could be wrong however, if you can afford a computer and internet access... then why can't you afford to have your pets altered?
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure that you must have a vet school in your area that would do spay/neutering for a reasonable rate...have you ever inquired about that? Please make whatever financial sacrifices you have to to see that these animals are properly taken care of. The world has more than enough homeless kittens, not to mention the health risk that you are putting these cats at.
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

theecats, please have your cats spayed! If you truly love animals as you name says you would have your pets fixed.
I live in your area, Ritson Rd vet is reasonable or talk to Jody at the Brooklyn vet. If you are on Social assistance I know some vets in the area will give discounts, or even free. So there really is no excuse.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post

There are excuses, and hers/his is definitely a legitimate one. Without people taking in cats who really can't afford them the cat(s) would be stray or euthanized. Although a reduced cost voucher may be available, these owners are to put their family's living expenses first, not their pet. A vet also won't likely do the surgery while the cat is in heat so good luck scheduling it if the cat is in heat every other week.
Old June 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catowner12 View Post
There are excuses, and hers/his is definitely a legitimate one. Without people taking in cats who really can't afford them the cat(s) would be stray or euthanized. Although a reduced cost voucher may be available, these owners are to put their family's living expenses first, not their pet. A vet also won't likely do the surgery while the cat is in heat so good luck scheduling it if the cat is in heat every other week.
This is an old thread , 2005 so I hope the cat has been fixed by now.
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post

I think your very rude there for judging a person like that. You don't know that persons circumstances. She could be doing all she can to provide a home for her cats. Nothing is clean cut in life. I have 1 cat who comes in heat every 2 or 3 weeks. I also have other cats who were spayed many years ago when I could afford it. My circumstances changed. I went from a house that had the funds to take care of my cats and dogs and even the neighbours animals, to not even having enough food for myself now. I look after my cats and dog very well, they never go hungry. I go hungry most days but never ever let my animals go without their meals. I can't afford to get my cat done. She is indoors all her life and minded very well. So unless you know the person as a friend or friend of friend don't make insulting remarks on how the person cares for her cat. You cannot make judgement calls on anyone that you don't know.
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
This is an old thread , 2005 so I hope the cat has been fixed by now.
I took in wild kittens and found homes for them, I even kept kittens but mother cat would leave after her kittens were grown. I took in stray dogs and found their owners and those I couldn't i rehomed. I saved the neighbours dog and her unborn puppies from being put asleep in the pound because they refused to look after her. I spent years looking after dogs and cats in my home. Then my marriage broke down and everything had to change. People do all they can for pets. I still do. I have very little to live on but as long as the cats have their food I can go to bed with a clear head that at least the poor things have food in the bellies.....There are many people out there adore their pets but can't get the money together to provide the needs. Those people need help, but not too many willing to give the help they need. I hope to get my cat spayed soon, its not easy. But pet owners do their best
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:43 PM

Natures Law, you sound like a very kind person, and obviously care and do the best you can, but not all pet owners do their best. Some, like you, do. And others see animals as just a belonging, like a pair of shoes.