Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old May 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM

How to train cat to get along with new dog?

Hi,

I have a 5 year old DSH female cat named Kyra. She's been with me for 3 years(I adopted her from the SPCA when she was 2) and has never been with other animals exept for other cats (roommate's cats) until now. I recently moved back home and am staying with my mom. She has an old mixed husky/shepard mix and a new 8 month old pup German Shepard. I've been here for a couple of months now, and for the first little while I've been keeping Kyra in my room and only letting her roam when the dogs are outside. The reason is she seems to think she's the boss of the house and is bothered by the dogs. The old dog she rarely is bothered by him. He isn't very active and mostly sleeps on his bed in his spot. She normally walks by him and seems to get along with him fine.

The problem is with Max the Shepard. She just doesn't like him. She took off after him when he so much as peaked his head through the door. HE is afraid of her. He's been pretty good with her never agressive or anything....but when he tried to push his limits and gets a little too close she lets him know. The other day she had him pinned in a corner. Most times all she has to do is hiss at him and he'll whine and go under the table or farther away, but sometimes he's just his friendly old self and wants to play with her I guess haha but she won't have it. Now aside from this, Kyra is very gently, laid back and friendly...but when it comes to Max...not so much.

So is there anything I can do to help her accept him or at least get along with him? Or should I just accept that they don't like eachother and never will?? I'm a bit concerned that Max will retaliate one of these days when she runs after him (specially when he becomes an adolescent). Not sure how the whole pack thing applies (if at all) in the case of dogs and cats? Right now it seems though that queen Kyra is the ruler hehe. Anyway any advice would help. Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:14 PM
-

I think it's better for your cat to confront the dog than run away from him. She is just telling him she's the boss. Maybe give her a little more time ?
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

And keep her claws well trimmed!
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you need to let them sort it out. It is a good thing the cat isn't running from the dog. What you have is a better scenario, imo. Keep the cats nails trimmed and the dog will figure out to leave the cat alone. As the dog grows the cat will get the message it's not so easy to scare it away. Dracko has gotten a few scratches on the nose learning the cats are boss. He is a 90lb Shepherd and gets along with the cats well today. It is better to have a dominant cat than one that either hides all the time or a dog that dominates and hurts the cat.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I agree to let them work it out but be supervised. I have two nine year old cats and when i brought puppy home i just supervised . Never let the dog chase the cat!!! That should be stopped immediately if it starts to happen. I now have an eight pound cat that tells the 50lb dog what to do, they get along great and sometimes sleep in the same bed. It took awhile but they soon learnt that neither one was "bad" and the cats come downstairs freely now and the dog just wags her tail.
3+ cats......Surround sound