Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

If you think about it, kids are dirtier than most pets!

As for anti-bacterial soap...I have read time and time again that the anti-bacterial soap really does nothing more than regular soap...the amount of time it has to stay on your hands to actually do anything is much longer than any of us leave it there, plus our germs mutate so much that we would have to be updating the chemicals in the soap regularly...simply washing your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water is supposed to be good enough.

As for the dishes thing...my cats sleep with me, lick my face, eat out of my bowl when I am not looking...the list goes on...they are house cats...I leave the house everyday...I would think they probably have more to worry about from me than I them.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

There is a strange phenomena in my house,hubby is the only one who gets a little extra in his food,like one little tiny cat-hair,I never do

Why would you need to disinfect cat-dishes??I just clean them out and dry with paper-towel,I have stainless steel dishes and no deformities yet
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Tacogirl,right on
We live in a disinfecting society and are going to end up with a generation of allergy-sufferers,our immune-system need a workout ever now and then to be effective.
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Tacogirl,right on
We live in a disinfecting society and are going to end up with a generation of allergy-sufferers,our immune-system need a workout ever now and then to be effective.
We believe this too. NO anti-bacterial cleansers of any kind at our house. There were reports in the paper once about kids in families with a pet suffering less asthma and kids in less than super clean houses having fewer illnesses. The supposition being exactly what chico2 said, the healthier kids were those exposed to allergans, dirt etc. whose bodies built up defenses.
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm a softy

Oh, that is something i have never thought about, i let my animals use my dishes all the time, heck i share ice cream with my dog, i just wash them as usual, no biggie to me, i think restaurant dishes would be worse, who knows who ate off those, and who last sucked a piece of meat off that fork, haha we dont usually think about that!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Everything goes in the dishwasher.
I share yogurt with the kitties from the same spoon, so I can't see anything wrong with washing the dishes together. I have to admit though, I don't usually do it in front of company...for some reason some people really don't understand this...
I bought a bunch of fruit nappies at the market one time for 2/$1 and I admit that I was more afraid that the glaze on them would be harmful to the kitties than any harm it may do to myself for using them for ice cream as a double purpose - cat food/ice cream dishes.....maybe a new marketing idea?

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM

We use a seperate dog designates sponge for the dog dishes only because of the amount of drool and dirt that usually comes off them, I don't want that on my own dishes. Other then that no special treatment. After all we let them lick us and sleep with us.
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Don't buy the Merrick brand though .....even though their label says 100% tripe it is NOT 100% green tripe.
Rainbow thanks for those links.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I will just keep washing them in the dishwasher with ours. And for all you 3rd ear growers...don't forget to send in your pictures!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Husky Addict

I wish, but nope, I was surprised when someone at work told me that o.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I thought all soap was antibacterial?

Debbie

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG..I would never wash my dog /cat dishes with my own dishes. I use to do that and last year I noticed that my kids acquired a taste for kibbles and my dog and cats demanded a fork and knife and I won't even get into my kids scratching at the door to go out..and my lab trying to use the toilet...and ....

actually I don't have a dish washer and I have to say that Winnie our Lab is always used a pre-washer, a job he does with gusto...
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

cpietra
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Most were not likely to be human to human (rabies and the worms, etc.) but I think you and I agree. The risk is low if both dog and human are healthy. If the human is immune compromised, like my friend with kidney disease, you might want to be more careful. The hospital study of therapy dogs was very interesting. It advises "cautious consideration." http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...96655305001914

Heck, I once let the dog "wash" my dutch oven, put it up on the countertop and the next time I used it thought, Oh, oh. Well darn it, I wasn't about to throw out beef stew. But I didn't tell the OH. Shsssh.
Lmao. I thought I was the only one that did that. Now I wash any dishes the dogs have licked right afterward every time because I'm paranoid about it.
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtoreth View Post
I wish, but nope, I was surprised when someone at work told me that o.0
Actually, plain old soap IS antibacterial. Check out the link rainbow posted about household chemicals: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....als#post848801

And these:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin...uestion692.htm
http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com...32h138409.html

Quote:
"It makes you wonder why they call it antibacterial, because according to our research, it isn't any more so than plain soaps," said Elaine Larson, PhD, RN, associate dean for research at the Columbia University School of Nursing, New York, principal investigator of the study. "We found antimicrobial or antibacterial soaps provide no added value over plain soap."

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
OMG..I would never wash my dog /cat dishes with my own dishes. I use to do that and last year I noticed that my kids acquired a taste for kibbles and my dog and cats demanded a fork and knife and I won't even get into my kids scratching at the door to go out..and my lab trying to use the toilet...and ....

actually I don't have a dish washer and I have to say that Winnie our Lab is always used a pre-washer, a job he does with gusto...
rotflmbo.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Actually, plain old soap IS antibacterial. Check out the link rainbow posted about household chemicals: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....als#post848801

And these:
I always figured it was just a marketing trick. I told my hubs that when commercials started saying anti bacterial soap.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Hi
Is it safe for us to wash cat and dog dishes with ours?

I wash them in our dishwasher and I was just wondering if doing that would make us sick? I do put bleach in with them too.

Debbie
I would NOT use bleach to wash my dishes or my cat's dishes!!!! YOU ARE EATING BLEACH! Yes the dishes get rinsed but residue remains. I think your pets have a higher chance of getting sick from you than the other way around.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I have the same problem with the ceramics. I find letting them soak with dish soap and hot hot water helps. I wash Clarks with my dishes. I am so excited I found dog dishes in ceramic to match my dishes small things make me happy what can I say.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I know this is old but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post

That is sooooooooo funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post

And these:
I didn't know that, thanks for letting us know.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
But while we're on the topic of pet dishes... anyone have any tricks or tips for getting the film off of them? It's like water stains, but you can FEEL it. The dishes should be all smooth to the touch, but they're rough and bumpily. Is this a sign that I'm not washing them as much as I ought to or it's because we have hard water?
Try a soak in vinegar. A bit in the bottom to cover, swish it up the sides, let stand for a bit, wipe off. Depending on how hard it's on there you may need a scrubbie but frequent vinegar will prevent that. The scrubbie will wear the surface of your dish. Yes, it's hard water. Wash the vinegar off, with, what else, more hard water and soap, start the cycle all over again.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
-

Quote:
Try a soak in vinegar. A bit in the bottom to cover, swish it up the sides, let stand for a bit, wipe off. Depending on how hard it's on there you may need a scrubbie but frequent vinegar will prevent that. The scrubbie will wear the surface of your dish. Yes, it's hard water. Wash the vinegar off, with, what else, more hard water and soap, start the cycle all over again.
VInegar is what I use too. I don't have a dishwasher , couldn't anyway with my well water. For the water dishes I put hot water , soap & vinegar , let it soak 10-15 minutes and scrub.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I use pure vinegar to soak. I do not dilute with water. 5 minutes usually does it. Yes, that looks like the scubbie I use, without the sponge part. Scratch your glasses with that for a couple of years and you will see wear on them. I only use that on my pots/pans and never on my non-stick ones.

Quote:
I don't have a dishwasher, couldn't anyway with my well water.
How come? We're on a well and we have a dishwasher.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
-

Quote:

How come? We're on a well and we have a dishwasher.
Our water here in Sherrington is extremely hard. I like to rince my dishes with hot water and let it dry on the rack but if it's glass or silver, it leaves spots that don't come out with soap and water. The only thing that could clean the toilet bowl properly was muriatic acid !

Many people here don't have pool for that same reason. Before I took mine down , I would have to put wool socks on my feet to scrub the bottom. After a couple minutes of scrubbing , I would have to change socks because they were full of holes. One of my neighbor told me that his kids would come out of their pool with bleeding feet !
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentsBabe View Post
I wash our puppies dishes separately, but only because they're large, heavy and ceramic and can easily break anything else in the sink.

But while we're on the topic of pet dishes... anyone have any tricks or tips for getting the film off of them? It's like water stains, but you can FEEL it. The dishes should be all smooth to the touch, but they're rough and bumpily. Is this a sign that I'm not washing them as much as I ought to or it's because we have hard water?

I do use a scrubbie when I wash them, and although it gets some of the film off, it doesn't get it all off. It doesn't seem to bother them any, but it sure bothers me because to me they're just not *clean*.
I was going to tell ya to use vinegar too,,but the others beat me too it. I'm glad u found it worked!

We have hard water here too and even though we have a water softerner it's not used in the summer cause I use town water to water my plnats. So the animals dishes tend to get a calcium buildup too.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~