Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Coyote is Keeping My Dog From Going Out To Pee!

We have a coyote that lived around my condo and it has come back and is marking his territory by leaving his scat near my building or peeing around the yard. My dog Marty has been too frighten to go out at night to pee. I had to take him for a ride one night so he could pee. I was told to call the ACO , we have a new one and I have no idea how he feel about coyotes. I do not want the animal killed, I want to know what I can do keep it out of my yard. I have thought of getting wolf urine but that would really scare Marty. We have a big field behind my condo and there are a lot wild rabbits and mice, I think the coyote feel that my dog is a threat to his hunting ground.
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Are you allowed to put up a fence?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Are you allowed to put up a fence?
No , but I sure I could. We can't made any changes outside of our units. I was told as long as the coyote is not acting strange and coming out at odd hours I should be OK. But there is no way I can convince my small dog of this. Marty get so frighten he refuse to go outside to pee. I was able to get him to go tonight, thanks goodness as I really did not feel like going driving some place at 11:30 PM. Thank you for responding .
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you go out with Marty at night? If not he would probably feel more secure if you went out with him. That said, I would try to spend lots of time out there playing with him so that he hopefully realizes it's not that scary a place despite the coyote smells. We have coyotes around our place too, but our yard is all fenced so I don't worry too much about them coming in, it's the skunks I worry about during night time pee's! What about putting some chili spice along the edge of your property? Maybe the smell of the chili would keep the coyotes from visiting. Can't hurt to try.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Do you go out with Marty at night? If not he would probably feel more secure if you went out with him. That said, I would try to spend lots of time out there playing with him so that he hopefully realizes it's not that scary a place despite the coyote smells. We have coyotes around our place too, but our yard is all fenced so I don't worry too much about them coming in, it's the skunks I worry about during night time pee's! What about putting some chili spice along the edge of your property? Maybe the smell of the chili would keep the coyotes from visiting. Can't hurt to try.
Yes, I am always with my dog when he go outside. I was taking Marty in the yard to play but we have so many wild rabbits and Marty end up looking for rabbit poop to eat. We have skunks too and Marty want to run after them. I do not mind having the coyote around as it eat the rabbits and helps keep the numbers . I just wish the coyote would not mark my yard as his territory. I have through spray some rabbit poop with Apple Bitter and hoped that cure Marty of liking it so much. I will try the chili spice , I heard that some people put moth balls to keep wild animals away but I do not like that idea .
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Hopefully you don't have coyotes who like spicy foods??