Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 31st, 2004, 07:59 PM

Red face Peeing and pooping on command - Answered by J. Sansregret

So Casey is starting to circle, definitely ready to take a BM, and I whisk him outside to do his business in the great outdoors, and .... .... .... NOTHING! I wait and wait, walk and walk, and .... ..... ......... NOTHING! Even when I give up and come back in, half expecting him to start circling again, still nothing. A few hours later, take him out again, and he finally assumes the position and success!!!

This has happened more than once, and my question is, Why? Is it because he wasn't actually ready the first time at all, or is it because while I'm carrying him downstairs the poop gets scared back into him? What's going on? Is there any way I can get him "in the mood" again when we get outside!

What an embarrassing question!!!!!
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog does that too, and it drives me nuts!! I was taking her to my brother's the other day, and took her in my backyard at least 3 times to make her go. Nada.

I get to my brother's and the first thing she did was take a humungous dump right in his front yard. I could have killed her.

If you're in the habit of taking your dog home as soon as he goes, he might very well hold it in. Also, it's much more distracting outside and like little kids, they don't want to stop long enough to go.

Usually my dog goes on cue if I take her to the same spot and tell her "go potty" because she generally realizes she isn't going anywhere until she does!
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:56 PM
banned user

If you think that is an embarrassing question, here is an extremely embarrassing answer. Did you ever have to 'go' but you weren't near a bathroom? Like in the car, shopping, etc. Then you finally get to the bathroom and nothin?
Maybe it is the same for him... He has to go, you stop him by taking him out and then he doesn't have to anymore? Sorry, that's the only thing I can think of. I don't think there's a way to get him in the mood, maybe a smoke and the morning paper? lol
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:01 PM

I've noticed that my pup will sometimes run around at top speed for a few seconds before going potty. Maybe if you take your dog for a little jog up and down the block, it'll help things along a little.
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

The key is to teach the dog to pee and poop on command.

First off get a notebook and jot down EXACTLY where, when and how often the dog naturally pees and poops. Most dogs urinate and defecate according to some kind of pattern though the pattern may or might not be regular. Some dogs do not like certain surfaces and sometimes owners take the dogs out too often to do their business.

After a few days to a week of note taking you should now be able to anticipate when the dog will poo or pee. Bring an extra tasty treat along with you on your walk. We're talking SUPER tasty.

Start with the pee command first, and WHILE the dog is urinating say the dog's name then "pee pee" or anything else you choose. THIS is now the word to say each time the dog is in the middle of urinating. IMMEDIATELY after the dog has finished, give the dog the food treat and lavish praise while saying good dog.

Follow this proceedure for about one week then see if you can get the dog to pee by YOU giving the pee command before he goes but at a time when he usually would pee anyway. Again reward with food and lavish praise. If it doesn't work then refollow the advice above.

Once the dog has mastered the pee command use the exact same technique but choose a very different sounding word for the poo command.

Be patient, this training exercise is worth it, especially with our cold winters coming.

Good luck,

Julie Sansregret - AHT, Dog trainer
Guides Canins
1313, rue PineRidge,
St-Lazare-de-Vaudreuil, Qué.
J7T 2M7 (450) 424-1469
guidescanins.com