Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM

A bit off topic: does anyone else have an extremely vocal cat?

One of my 3 cats is a male. I took him in a few days before last xmas. He is about a year old. I have had him neutered. Even before I took him in he hung around outside he was exctremely vocal. It has always been meow, meow, meow.

Now that he has been inside he still is meow, meow, meow almost all the time. I can't even believe that he survived for a year outside with all this meowing!

He will suddenly Meow at any time of day or night. Vet. fines nothing wrong. I do not see anything wrong with him other than he is vocal.

Months of paranoia on my part and now I just ignore his middle of the night Meow, Meow, Meow. He even does it in the middle of the day. All for no apparent reason.

I first thought that he was in pain or something, but now I am convinced that he is fine and just is vocal. He has been inside for almost 6 months now and has shown no intrest in going outside ,,, he got it golden now lol.

So I am just curiouse if any one else has a cat that Meows soo much?
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

The one and only cat I ever had was extremely vocal. I always felt like we were having a running conversation because he'd meow a bunch, then wait, I'd say something and off he'd go again meowing. Even his vet commented numerous times on how much he liked to "talk"
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Albert's mommy

My 7 month old kitten is also very vocal. Luckily she's little and her meows are small and not disruptive or anything. I also have a very vocal dog ('sings' and howls on command and several times a day just because!) So I don't mind that she's vocal too! She is still very active at night so at times she'll be meowing away and I do get up to check just to make sure she isn't in any trouble or climbed into something and is stuck, etc. She meows for attention at my feet. If I call her name, she answers...If I walk past and make eye contact with her or speak to her she answers...

Personally, I LOVE IT! I don't worry too much that she will hurt herself or something (she's my first cat, and first baby animal! so i'm a bit protective) because I know that if she is in trouble, she'll call me.

As long as he is pooping/eating no vomiting/diarrhea or general lethargy or anything out of the ordinary, just enjoy him!
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. this cat is fine. Except for his vocal nature I can not fine anything wrong and the Vet. actualy 2 vets/ cant find anything.
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Ace my kitten does that too. I swear I can have a whole conversation with him... he always answers me no matter where he is in the house. I love him!!!!

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot

Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

When I call Mooki, she comes running and meowing! Sometimes she meows for no apparent reason...sometimes she is looking at herself in the mirror, sometimes she is sitting in the hall having a conversation with herself I guess.
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Albert's mommy

What is it with cats and mirrors?? My Khloe loves looking at herself!

When I come home she throws herself on her back for me to rub her tummy. And since usually my first worry is that the dog needs to get outside sometimes I am right back out the door with him. So when I come back if i do not acknowledge her immediately she will start trying to climb up my leg and meow until I pick her up. Then I get a paw on each cheek and kitty kisses on my nose!

I joke that I have a kitty that acts like a dog and a doggie that acts like a cat!

I love my furbabies!
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Tika's always been very talkative, there's a lot of things she has to say!
Especially when she wants to play, she'll bring a ball to us and meow with it in her mouth
I think she's taught Squeaks to be more talkative as well, as she is finally beginning to have a lot to say whenever I see her around the house - all in her squeaky little kitten voice
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM

My guy is also very vocal and i love it. I can have very interesting conversation with him Also, if me nad hubby are talking about him from another room he would meow from which ever room he is in, probably saying something like "stop talking about me there, dont think i cannot hear you!!"

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My Jasper never shuts up unless he is hunting or sleeping! He walks around meowing and meowing. When I first adopted him, I thought he was missing his old owners but it has been 1.5 years and he hasn't stopped. Nothing physically wrong with him, just likes to talk.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Of all my cats, the most vocal is Kiska. She's about 10 months old and she loooooves to talk. She's perfectly healthy, just likes to talk.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
~Cat Servent~

All of my guys 'talk' to me, but Asker is by far the most vocal, she announces everything she does, and makes noises every time you touch her... I think it's sweet.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I've got little chirpers and cooers too. I love that. Maks coos, and Czarina does too. Oksana does the cooing and chirping when she jumps up or down from somewhere.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I have 5 cats and NONE of them are talkers. Two of them will meow occasionally but overall they don't say much at all.

NOW! I did have a talker. He was a Siamese who talked from the first day I got him. If you know a Siamese meow, it can be very loud and drawn out. He loved to hear himself talk. He'd often go down in to the basement (where I think it echoed more for him) and just talk away to himself. If you'd say something to him he'd look at you like, "where'd you come from." Like he was startled that you interrupted him. His sister on the other hand, barely said a peep.

Oh and forget to feed Teddy and you knew about it. He'd meow and not stop until you took care of it. His sister would have starved to death before she said anything.

Teddy lived to be 18 and I used to joke that his talking was what got him kicked out of his first home. I found he and his sister shivering in a parking lot under a vehicle. I put up signs and found out a young girl had gotten them and when she found out her roommate was allergic she booted them out. They were maybe 2 months old. :sad:

Here's a picture of Teddy in my old house. I have much better ones but not on this computer.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM

mine chats too!

My cat is what I call a "mipper". If you speak to her, she'll reply with, "mip". She also finds the hallway in the middle of the night that has the best echo and meows there indicating that she's finished sleeping and so should the rest of the house too. She's more of a talker and whiner than a yowler.

There is a cat at our barn that you can hear meowing before he's in sight. He just meows and meows on and on. There's nothing wrong with him either, he just is very vocal and his meows are so long and drawn out. I would imagine he is a lot like your cat.

I read somewhere that cats have over a hundred vocalizations. I don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense given their personalities! ha ha
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM

I got my little MiMi just a month ago, he is usually a quite boy, he talks when he complaints on something, such as "why are you leave me alone here? I want eat I am hungry. Please I want to play with you, etc." Sometimes he finds the food is not good, I used to feed him can food with the brand name called "western family", it looks like beef stew, he doesn't like it at all, so he suck a little bit then meow to me again and again until I open another can for him.
My MiMi meows when he has request for me. Sometimes I shut bathroom door when I want to take a hot bath and I don't want him jump into the bubble, He meows loudly first a few minutes, then go away, quitely come back wait right beside the door, when I curiously open the door to see if he is okay, he then sneak in quickly.