Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
FatFat and LittlMan's Mom

Red face AHHH the hair!!!

Ok just to state this first...yes I know I have cats, and yes I know they shed...a lot ! My boys have been shedding constantly since December/January and there is no let up . They are short hairs, and almost 2. Now I don't know if they shed more their first year after getting there adult coat or what, but it comes in clumps and it just keeps coming, I mean my hubby and I brush them everyday and it just keeps coming. I could have 5 new furbs by now with all the fur they have shed And no they are not bald in any spot..all though they should be I am just looking for any tips. They have been to the vet for their check up and I asked about it, she just recommended the food they sell there and I am not really a fan of science diet (sorry to those who are ) it gives my cats diarrhea even after slowly switching. So I am looking for any food anyone has tried that works well, any supplement, or anything to decrease the amount of hair I have free floating in my house . Like I said I know they are cats, and I know that they shed, but none of my previous furbs ever shed this much. When they get up to move it looks like a blizzard of hair erupts from them and the spot they were laying ...and I vacuum everyday. So anything anyone has for a suggestion would be great.

PS oh and I feed them Nutro Hairball formula

Butch and Sunny's Mom

Butch (aka Fatfat) 8/11/2005
Sunny (aka LittleMan) 8/11/2005
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I have two Siamese - very short hair - and still see some cat hair around, nothing really to speak of. My other cats are Syphynx so have none at all - just oily skin that needs washing so they are more work than meezers in a way tho I think all cats deserve our time!

I would feed her the best food on the market - and I am transitioning to home made cat food so am not in a good position to give you info. I had been feeding them Wellness - short hair cats rarely get hair balls but on occasion they do. (I assume by short hair, you mean a breed like Siamese or Oriental or a mix of some kind).
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the help. They are just your "run-of-the-mill" domestic short hair from the shelter, no specific breed, just tabbies (but I love them anyways). I have wondered if a raw diet or a home-made diet would help but I am just not sure . I heard someone once say they gave there cat a supplement to help with shedding but I can't remember what it was??? I mean I love my cats and am willing to cope with the hair, but am just wondering if there is something that I don't know, or if there is a food or product that someone has found that really works well. Thanks again

Butch and Sunny's Mom

Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I think a good diet (I am not sold on raw tho some here do well with it so everyone has differing views and perspectives - you might see what they have to say) as well as constant good grooming helps! Learn as much as you can about cat nutrition and that way, you will know what to feed your kitties.

I have never tried any of the supplements, esp OTC - I would only trust something my vet recommended if say one of my cats developed a problem but they all have sleek good looking coats. (thankfully!) (Even the ones without hair, lol)

Good luck!!
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:09 AM
-

Check out the Food Forum here for some good cat food choices. Some of the better ones are Felidae (www.canidae.com) Innova and Innova EVO(www.naturapet.com) and Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com).
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks rainbow and cyberkitten! I have been reading about all the cat food options. I am going to the store today to read ingredient labels!

Butch and Sunny's Mom

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyk1020 View Post
Thanks for the help. They are just your "run-of-the-mill" domestic short hair from the shelter, no specific breed, just tabbies (but I love them anyways). I have wondered if a raw diet or a home-made diet would help but I am just not sure . I heard someone once say they gave there cat a supplement to help with shedding but I can't remember what it was??? I mean I love my cats and am willing to cope with the hair, but am just wondering if there is something that I don't know, or if there is a food or product that someone has found that really works well. Thanks again
You might be thinking of a product called "Shed No More" for cats, which is a blend of vitamins and minerals and essential fatty acids (EFAs) that comes in a capsule you sprinkle on their food. I think a better option would be to incorporate more wet food into your cats' diets and perhaps mix in a few drops of salmon oil every now and then. My guy also used to shed like crazy until I started feeding him canned. It might have to do with being chronically dehydrated when fed only dry food.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Oh they are fed wet food too, twice a day, I give them the dry food for inbetween during the day and then when we go to bed at night. I think that may have been the stuff I heard someone mention, but I am researching different foods for them. I hope that it will help, thanks for all your inputs!

Butch and Sunny's Mom

Old June 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyk1020 View Post
Oh they are fed wet food too, twice a day, I give them the dry food for inbetween during the day and then when we go to bed at night.
Yay, glad to hear that! Then I would say that maybe adding some EFAs in the form of salmon oil might help, as well as changing the dry to something like Innova EVO, Wellness CORE, or Nature's Variety Instinct

I'd stay away from Felidae or the regular Innova dry, they are both too high in carbohydrates.
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I have shedders also.lol

They are 3 and 3 1/2...One is a short haired and the other a medium haired...They have gotten both canned and dry from day one.But with my medium haired,Casper,his fur is more like cotton.Very soft.And he leaves patches around.With Winnie,hers are more coarse.

I have them on Wellness dry and canned..I have also noticed that if my house is dry,they tend to shed more.

And when I get the Heppa out,you should see all the hair.LOL..I also have a GSD that sheds.....