Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 1st, 2012, 04:11 AM

new person needs advice

I have a 5-year-old cat that loves to go outside. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but he always insists on going outside during the middle of the night. My family always says that we'll let him out when it gets lighter, but he has none of it. He insistently meows and cries, but we'll only let him out as far as our breezeway during the night hours. We live next to a busy road, and there is always the constant fear that he will be run over or picked up by someone since he doesn't wear a collar (I tried to put one on him when he was younger--cheap nylon deal--and he nibbled right through it; took him all day), or worse, eaten by something. However, he has always been afraid of the road, and he stays away from it. Still, he keeps us awake with his crying.

He goes down to our basement when my brother brings his dog over, and he used to sleep there every other day until I had an accident. During my recovery time, I told him that he could be upstairs at night. I have since healed, but he won't go back down to where his bed, food, and litter box are. I have given him "time outs" in the basement, but he's never down there for more than a minute at night before he starts to meow and cry again.

Could someone please give me some advice or tips on what to do to keep my cat quiet at night?
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:58 AM
Neo+cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg680 View Post
I have a 5-year-old cat that loves to go outside. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but he always insists on going outside during the middle of the night. My family always says that we'll let him out when it gets lighter, but he has none of it. He insistently meows and cries, but we'll only let him out as far as our breezeway during the night hours. We live next to a busy road, and there is always the constant fear that he will be run over or picked up by someone since he doesn't wear a collar (I tried to put one on him when he was younger--cheap nylon deal--and he nibbled right through it; took him all day), or worse, eaten by something. However, he has always been afraid of the road, and he stays away from it. Still, he keeps us awake with his crying.

He goes down to our basement when my brother brings his dog over, and he used to sleep there every other day until I had an accident. During my recovery time, I told him that he could be upstairs at night. I have since healed, but he won't go back down to where his bed, food, and litter box are. I have given him "time outs" in the basement, but he's never down there for more than a minute at night before he starts to meow and cry again.

Could someone please give me some advice or tips on what to do to keep my cat quiet at night?
I would suggest maybe wearing ear plugs for a couple of nights while getting him used to being in the basement again.

Not allowing him out at night is the sensible thing to do for his own safety, though he may not realize it I remember our little Zorro - he was a country, outdoor cat and loved it, never a problem. When we moved to town, he was still safe as far as cars went because no way would he approach the road! (Spoutnik would cross the raod, but he watched for cars before crossing). One night I let him out around 11:30 PM as usual, and when I got up the next morning at 5 and called him ... no Zorro.

Spoutnik spent two days walking in a one-hour star pattern from the house, back home meowing and checking to see if Zorro was back, out again in a new direction ... nothing. We drove around calling him, walked, biked .. no Zorro.

So stand your ground, mommy knows best, as usual!

Since he's been used to the basement before, he should get used to it again, in theory anyway. I guess you've left treats and toys and his favourite blanky for him too. As a last resort maybe try a mild sedative (like those used when traveling to reduce their stress) for a night or two? If he goes to sleep there and wakes up again in the same area, he might resign himself to being there again?
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:06 PM

difference of opinion

I forgot to mention in my previous post that there is someone in my family (who will remain nameless) who lets Kitty stay upstairs at night. They let him stay upstairs when my brother and his dog aren't here, and they stay up and play at night. I have told Anonymous that he needs to sleep as well, but Kitty has them wrapped around his little paw (Anonymous has spoiled him since the day I brought him home). This person even lets him back upstairs after I put him downstairs and go up to bed. I know you say "Mommy knows best", but Kitty and Anonymous have a different opinion.

Any suggestions? I've tried talking to him, but Anonymous won't listen. Kitty won't listen either!
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Try kitter sleeping tablets

You could try some sleeping medicine.
I would also make sure there is a kitty litter inside.

Does he have a nice bed inside?
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

In my opinion this behaviour is just too risky. If you live near a busy road and you let your cat out without ID - the chance of this cat getting killed, harmed or stolen is high.

Try playing with your cat at night so it gets tired and sleeps. Wear some earplugs for the short term but my advice is to stop letting the cat outside.
At the very very least, get some identification on a collar for this cat. There are plenty of collars available that your cat won't be able to chew through.
Good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please don't let your cat out, it will be a matter of time before he doesn't come home again. .

The best way to train your kitty is to NOT give in. If he meows and meows and you eventually get up, he has learned to be successful he needs to meow.

I wear ear plugs at night to keep out the noise and it helps to phase out my Jasper's meows.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey