Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I can't believe the dogs were still alive when the police arrived. I know if an animal killed my child, I would do everything in my power to kill it.

Although I don't believe manslaughter should be the charge, I do believe negligence causing death should be. It was gross negligence on the mother and grandmothers part.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
...one thing I don't understand , is that the article is saying that the dogs are at St-Hyacinthe but a journalist was live yesterday afternoon at the municipality shelter , saying the dogs were still there.

I do hope , they are at St-Hyacinthe.
They are. The owner of the shelter/pound is very respectable and will ensure their well-being while under his care.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM

This storey has more holes then swiss cheese and changes more often the Lady Gaga's clothes backstage at a concert, I refuse to pay this storey any more attention, news is not news if it's just rumours.
I'm tired of news reports being based on rumours instead of real facts and then waiting for facts to come later and changing their stories.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

If this piece of garbage goes to trial, i can only imagine her defence...Hmm lets see...

I ...

have alchol fetal disabilities

have ADH

was abused as a child

am a crack whore and don't know any better

I am on welfare and should have had access to a full time baby sitter

I am native and did not understand why a baby should not have been alone

thought the dogs would look after and protect the baby

I know I sound bitchy, but perhaps this trail trash barbie should be spayed.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Catlover2

Parents' with dogs need to train the kids, too

In light of this very tragic incident, this article, "Parents with dogs need to train the kids, too", from the Toronto Star, June 12, 2010 for dog owners is a must read":

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/n...n-the-kids-too
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
... history is the best predictor of future actions...so if they DID discover which exact dog is responsible...by putting this dog down, it's impossible for history to ever repeat itself.
I've been giving this lots of thought, Marko. History with this dog won't repeat itself, that's true. But predation (which is my assumption in this case, rather than simple aggression) can never be eradicated in dogs. They are apex predators, plain and simple. We can try to breed the behavior out of them, or attempt to override it through training, but it's in their genes, their 'wiring'. It's one of the things that's ensured their, and their ancestors', survival through history. In most cases, domesticated dogs no longer need this behavior...but their instincts don't know that.

So, in this case, history won't repeat itself. But what about the other 400 million dogs that share our world?
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Look at how many warnings we get that smoking kills. That drink driving kills. In summer if sharks kill that gets lot of publicity. When do we ever hear warnings to parents, on the national media I mean, that dogs can kill? I watched a documentary on man killers the other night on TV, about sharks, and one statistic they gave was that while you have a 1 in 8 million chance of being killed by a shark, the chance of being killed by a dog is just 1 in 147,000.
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
When do we ever hear warnings to parents, on the national media I mean, that dogs can kill?
Yes Jim , it's the opposite , a lady on tv called it "the Walt Disney syndrome"

with all the movies they do with dogs , although cute , people get into their heads that dogs can look after their kids etc ...
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:53 AM
-

I can't find the article on the web but I just heard on the french news ... the police were called last night at their appartement for a stabbing between 2 of the men living there (remember , they were like 2 or 3 couples living together) they said it was about moving furnitures or something ....

I rest my case about "those" people.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I have always thought they were trailer park trash living off welfare (not that welfare is bad) for the rest of their lives. This little tramp will be pregnant by the time this thing actually makes it to trial. I think she should be spayed since she is obviously not capable of caring for herself or a baby. I do not care if you think this is harsh but I am sure most of you are thinking it. I still believe the dogs should not be put down maybe the mother and grandmother but not the dogs.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
This little tramp will be pregnant by the time this thing actually makes it to trial.

of course she will , they get more welfare this way

I still believe the dogs should not be put down maybe the mother and grandmother but not the dogs.
No word on the dogs
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,I was wondering about the dogs
Let's hope no other babies get born in to this hell of a household.
The things is,I believe she'd get almost double the welfare,if she has a child.
I think about that poor little helpless baby,who right from the start was in mortal danger...
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:31 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I think about that poor little helpless baby,who right from the start was in mortal danger...
I know

I have friends that are trying desperately to have a baby. If they ever will , they would "wrap their baby with bubble wrap" just to keep him/her safe .... and then you think about this poor 21 days old baby .... never had a chance.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM
-

I can only find the story in french :

http://lcn.canoe.ca/lcn/infos/faitsd...07-232546.html

this keeps getting better and better .... the article says that police know this place very well by now , with the death of the baby and now this but also , they arrested the dogs owner in March , drugs related , large drug bust where the Hell Angels were involve also.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

These people are really bottom of the food chain

The translation of the article

The residence where they had played a terrible tragedy when a baby 21 days was killed by a dog, was the scene of another bad thing.

Wednesday evening or one month to the day after the horrible tragedy , the SQ officers returned to the same address, this time because a man had just stabbed another.

By late evening, the authorities let the information flow in dribs and drabs about the armed attack, which occurred within the 189 row in Bas-Saint-Amable.

"What I can tell you is that two men had a dispute and there is one who has assaulted another with a knife," said the spokesperson of the Sûreté du Québec, Ann Mathieu.

Lacerations to hand

The victim, a young man of 22 years, suffered lacerations to his hand. "We is not afraid for his life, nor his hand," said the spokesman, who was unable to say whether the victim is a resident of the place where the crime took place. "This is a man living in the region of Saint-Hyacinthe, she was limited to say.

The latter had no additional information about the assailant, who had also not yet been arrested, nearly five hours after the bloody altercation. Service technicians Forensic Identification of the Sûreté du Québec, accompanied by police and investigators were still on the crime scene late Wednesday night.

"The grounds surrounding the aggression must be specified and must also meet the two parties involved. For the moment, there is little information to provide, "explained the spokesperson of the SQ.

A known address

The 189 largest Bas-Saint-Amable began to be a well-known address of the police. In addition to the armed attack on Wednesday evening and the tragic death of newborn on June 7, we learned that the tenants of the premises was locked up by police in mid-March, as part of a vast police operation in the region of Saint-Hyacinthe.

The individual in question is also the owner of two dogs Huskies who were near the baby's birth, before one of them decides to attack him to death.

The strike was intended to dismantle major narcotics distribution network connected to the Hells Angels (South Section). Fifteen people were then arrested during the police raid. The SQ was then thought to have ended the activities of the "largest network of Saint-Hyacinthe.

Agency (QMI)
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I couldn't give a hoot about those people and their woes. The child and the dogs are victims of this evil ring of banditos.

My initial responses prior are starting to sway...go figure.
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
-

Thanks for the translation mastifflover
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

no problem pretty good since I understand or speak almost no french. Gotta love computers
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

My initial responses prior are starting to sway...go figure.
You didn't have all the infos back then BM. I just knew because , well , I grew up in Verdun , I know "those type" of people .... there's still things we don't know , will only hear about them at the trial. But the fact that they accused the mom right after doing an autopsy on the baby raises red flags all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
no problem pretty good since I understand or speak almost no french. Gotta love computers
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
You didn't have all the infos back then BM. I just knew because , well , I grew up in Verdun , I know "those type" of people .... there's still things we don't know , will only hear about them at the trial. But the fact that they accused the mom right after doing an autopsy on the baby raises red flags all around.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt Frenchy.
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

This is horrible. People seriously need to educate themselves instead of rushing in to get a dog/puppy because they like the way they look. Huskies have a huge prey drive (as do Malamutes). If they bothered to research it at all, they would know that. Also, northern breed dogs may guard a baby if it belongs in the family (pack), but can easily turn on it as most get very agitated with a babys cry.

But regardless of breed, a baby should never be left alone with a dog of any age/size

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
This is horrible. People seriously need to educate themselves instead of rushing in to get a dog/puppy because they like the way they look. Huskies have a huge prey drive (as do Malamutes). If they bothered to research it at all, they would know that. Also, northern breed dogs may guard a baby if it belongs in the family (pack), but can easily turn on it as most get very agitated with a babys cry.

But regardless of breed, a baby should never be left alone with a dog of any age/size
If they were studious type of people, they probably wouldn't be on welfare, they would be in school or working

Wonder if the baby's tummy was totally empty making the baby cry

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
If they were studious type of people, they probably wouldn't be on welfare, they would be in school or working

Good point! I think people should have to fill out an application to own a pet. Seriously... I know it sounds harsh, but too many ignorant people have them and then you hear crap like this. I am glad the adults will pay in some way.

Wonder if the baby's tummy was totally empty making the baby cry
Could be. For some reason crying really upsets these dogs. There are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part they should never be left alone with a baby/small child/small animal. It's instinctual for them. Not to say they will all act on that prey drive, but they all have the potential.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
-

I couldn't find the update in english , it was hard enough to find it in french they're not talking about it too much , probably because the was only 17 yr old.

http://www.maregion.ca/mes-informati...ien-husky.html

It doesn't say much and it's hard for me to translate but , the accused mother went back to court yesterday. She pleaded not guilty and the "crown" lawyer gave a whole bunch of proofs for the young mother's lawyer to look at , then go back to trial on October 12.

I'm soooo curious to know what those new proofs are.