Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought it wouldn't be one. James wasn't sure. The only ducks we are familar with are loons and wood ducks, so he just took a guess......
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
banned user

When I took my son to school this morning I looked in the nest... it's a different bird in there now... it may be the same kind but the beak is all black, not with the red like the other one.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Sneaky,it could be one of a Cow-Bird,they lay there eggs in another birds nest and let another bird feed their babies,lazy buggers!
But then again,your babies might just change colour as they mature..
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:35 AM

My hubby told me crows or was it ravens? are white when they are babies and they start tiny and get alot bigger and blacker with age. maybe its a crow or raven? I saw a new born crow once, it looked nothing like what they look like when they get bigger.
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Ulagy,I have a couple of Crows,sort of very semi-tame and I know they have babies somewhere right now and they are VERY protective of their babies,would never put them in another birds nest.
The crows,nearly extinct in my area,because of West Nile,are very intelligent birds,most people do not like them,but I love"my"crows and if I do not see them for a couple of days,I worry,but get very excited when I hear their cawing again
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Hey, anybody know what bird makes this sound: (I'll try)
reee hoooo........ hoooo...... hoooo..... It's driving me nuts. There's one outside and we can't see him but I'm sure he's in our tree. Only in the daytime and he does it ALL day. If I knew what he was, he wouldn't frustrate me so much...
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Could it be a mourning dove? They make a coooo cooooo coooo sound (always 3 coooos!). The first time I hear them I thought it was an owl
I believe there is a picture of one earlier in this thread (brown dove).
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Probably a mourning-dove,"my"male dove sits on the wires almost all day hooing,while keeping an eye on his female in the nest....protective husband
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

what you have is a ring neck dove, we have quite a number of pairs in our yard, there is always one sitting on the nest, mom and dad take turns and they will always return to the same spot the following year.
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:33 PM

So whatever it is, it's some sort of dove then? I should be able to see it then... I don't mind the noise as long as I know where it's coming from...
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:38 PM

HEY!! That's it!! Thanks so much!! I just searched and found a site with the sound on it, and it's definitely a mourning dove. Mine's a little "song-challenged" though.. The first bit he really screams... Not as eloquent as the one on the site.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/program...ove.html#sound

I have another one... The red one in this pic from the old apartment... I was told this one was a purple finch, but he doesn't look at all like the pics I'm finding on the internet of purple finches.. Anybody have a clue?
Attached Images

Last edited by Prin; June 19th, 2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Prin,it's a House-Finch,Purple Finches are smaller..the female HF looks like a song-sparrow.
Unfortunately in North America,according to Cornell Univ,HF are on a steady decline because of an eye-disease...
I have not seen many around my feeders :sad: they sing sooo pretty!
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I just searched and found a site with the sound on it, and it's definitely a mourning dove. Mine's a little "song-challenged" though.. The first bit he really screams... Not as eloquent as the one on the site.
You're hilarious, Prin. You and your song-challenged mourning doves. I was wondering -- I don't know much about Canadian birds and migrations but...

We have 4 pair of mourning doves who make nests on our porches every year - so I'm really familiar with these guys... But we also have a mockingbird pair that has claimed our yard... And the male mockingbird will sometimes sit in our backyard and 'mock' the mourning doves.. and it really does sound like a "song-challenged" mourning dove. LOL No really.. the first 'hooo' sounds like he had been smoking a cigar before he started and then somebody smacked him in the back mid-note.... he smooths out the rest of it though. I keep telling him he has more work to do.

If you have these guys up there -- it's a possibility if you're hearing and not seeing the dove.
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

No,we have no Mockingbirds,at least not where I am,but I saw plenty in South Carolina,had to read up on them when I got back home...
I have a pic,not a very good one,but that is as close as I could get..
Attached Images

Old June 21st, 2005, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags
And the male mockingbird will sometimes sit in our backyard and 'mock' the mourning doves.. and it really does sound like a "song-challenged" mourning dove. LOL No really.. the first 'hooo' sounds like he had been smoking a cigar before he started and then somebody smacked him in the back mid-note.... he smooths out the rest of it though. I keep telling him he has more work to do.
LOL!! That's exactly what I mean. I saw a mourning dove this morning though (now that I know what I'm looking for), so I'm pretty sure that's it. Maybe he sleeps on a branch above a chimney or something. At first it sounded like he was throwing up, but the the three oooo's are so smooth afterward. Really funny (now that I know who he is...)
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM

They are mourning doves!

I know this is late, but I just found these postings and I wanted to say that the birds are mourning doves, not pigeons (aka rock doves). I work at a shelter and we get many of these babies in every year as well as injured adult birds.

And the duck is in all likelyhood a domestic bird that has either flown the coop, been abandoned, or was just out visiting for the day. It looks like a muscovy.

Jenny (now back to lurking)
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudjah
I know this is late, but I just found these postings and I wanted to say that the birds are mourning doves, not pigeons (aka rock doves). I work at a shelter and we get many of these babies in every year as well as injured adult birds.

Jenny (now back to lurking)
You should be great for this forum then. I'm gonna have a lot of birds to ask about once I decide whether I'm putting up my feeder or not.