Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 28th, 2004, 04:10 AM

Unhappy Enlarged Lymph Nodes

I was doing a Neck Scratch on my big rescue hound a few days ago and found an enlarged lymph gland under her left jaw. Not too large but enough to be noticble if you know where to feel. Took her to the Vet and she has a couple more he found on her. His best guess is cancer but put her on antiboitcs anyway. This is a rescue we saved as a puppy and is now about 8. She had a rough start in life-had parvo and still have ear infections we medicate daily. They are chronic, best you can do is keep them cleaned and medicated. The dog is really laid back and easy going however I have noticed lately she is sleeping more than she used to,
She is basically an inside dog the past year or so since the kennel while it is warm in winter and cool in summer is not as comfortable as our couches.
Will keep an eye on her as usual and if she starts showing signs of discomfort will have to put her to rest. Fighting cancer in these large dogs after it has spread is painfull for the dog and no way to end a good life.
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww..I hope it's not cancer. I've had to deal with that in an elderly dog too. Can biopsies be done on lymph nodes, to rule it out? I'm guessing not.

I have a shelter dog who suffered with a particularly resistant staph infection for a year and a half. When it flared up badly, one lymph node in her neck would get slightly enlarged in rtesponse to the infection. So hopefully it's something like that with your hound.

If the time comes - which it eventually does with all dogs - that you have to let her go with dignity, do come for support. We've all been there, I'm sure. And you know, maybe it's not cancer after all...
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Enlarged Lymph Node Biopsy

A biopsy is an option however there is, medically, a risk which I am not interested in taking or exposing my dog to.
There is a risk of opening an encapsulated area by biopsy. If it is cancer there is little that can be done especially if it is already spreading and there is no higher area of risk for cancer to spread than the lymph node system.
Several lymph nodes are alreay swollen. By taking a biopsy a needle is inserted in the node and a sample of the tissue/fluid inside is extracted. The tiny needle prick can leak the otherwise contained material into the system. While it appears there is something already in the system - to invade it again just to prove a diagnosis seems additional risk for the dog. There have been cases where an otherwise encapsulted (contained) tissue mass has been turned loose on the rest of the system via biopsy.
In humans you can communicate the risk and allow them to be part of the diagnosis and treatment option program. In our animal friends we do not yet have that option.
We suspect it is cancer and according to the surgeon only three out of hundreds of multiple swollen lymph node cases have turned out to be non cancerous after antibotic treatment-which my dog has already had.
If and when it comes time to put her to sleep I will, as I have done so many times before over the years hold her and talk to her while the euthinasia fluid is administered. I have always wanted them to hear the voice of a friend and feel the touch of love and care as they cross over. A good, final moment. I would hope I have the same when I cross over to meet them.
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Ahh...I never knew that about lymph node cancers but it makes sense. I do know it's a particularly virulent cancer.

Well...big hugs. I've been where you are more than once, and it's never easy.
I also hug and love on the dog when he or she goes. A good death is the least we can do, as caretakers.
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
banned user

((((woodbyter))))
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Woodbyter...sorry to hear about your hound,like Carina says,we've all been there many times and it never gets easier
I've always had my cats in my arms that final moment,although tears are flowing and my heart breaking it's so important that they go into a forever sleep with the one person who loves them the most.
I too wish when my time comes,the same option would be available to me
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

((HUGS)) I am soo sorry to hear this!

You may want to try to boost your dogs immune system. First don't give any vaccinations if they're due and do not use any flea treatment (as part of your routine). The chemicals burden the immune system and weaken the dogs resistence to fight infection and disease.

This is so hard to deal with.

What were the risks of needle biopsy? They just need to aspirate the lump to take a sample of the tissue/fluid.

Does the vet feel they are fluid filled or tissue filled?
Old March 28th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Oh Woodbyter . Bless you for knowing that you'll be with her at the end. I couldn't help but weep at how eloquently you put that . Thank you for this post, my respect and prayers go with you...and your friend