Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Housetraining

Hi there, I have a 10 month old siberian husky aand he is still not housetrained. I have tried the crate trining but he still went in there and would lay in it. I take him out several times a day but he just plays. It seems he is trying to save it for inside to keep outside as a play area. Can anyone give me some tips because I love him and refuse to give up. Thank you.
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM

What has worked for me

Just a quick suggestion for you........... this has worked for me with every dog I have ever had.
What I did from the time they were little puppies was to take them outside ( on a leash at first) and to tell them to "go pee" and make sure it was where it was acceptable ( you do not want them to ruin your lawn so showing them a spot where they can do their business is a really good idea.
"Go Potty" works as well, and stay with them in that spot until they do ( within a reasonable amount of time I might add)
Once they have learned that when you take them outside and tell them to "go potty" that is what they are supposed to do, you can start off leash training.
This has worked with every dog I have ever owned, and it is nice in the winter when it gets cold and you let them out and tell them to "go pee" or "go potty" and they do just that and don`t play for 15 mins first.
As for him going in his crate, hmmmm I wonder if the crate is just too big and he is able to find a dry spot to sleep in. If not, maybe he just learned that he is supposed to or that it is okay for him to mess his sleeping area. That is a tough one but he is still young enough to retrain him.

Good luck and I am sure a lot of other members on the board will have a bunch of suggestions for you to try.
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Make sure that the sheets or crate is clean from the smell of excretement. the next time he pees or poo (which is easier to transport) take it out side and then take him to were you put the pee, poo and stand there till he sniffs and go's. With dogs its all about marking their territory. If they can still smell it in the crate then he will keep going in there. Thats how I trained mine. Good luck
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

housetraining

and don't forget to praise praise PRAISE for any job well done outside in the right place! You may even want to give your dog a treat when the business is accomplished outside, as incentive to continue to do it there. I would be taking the dog out more frequently throughout the day if possible, to encourage going potty away from the crate. And heap on the praise! You can limit water intake after 8 p.m. to prevent accidents and you may want to begin a stricter feeding schedule so the pooping time is pretty much predictable. If a dog eats twice a day, it'll pretty much only poop twice a day (snacks not included!) I find that about 10 minutes after a puppy has breakfast, it needs to relieve itself, so be outside at this time.
I am in total agreement with the other suggestions the posters have offered as well! Good luck!
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Talking

I've always had siberians and normally they're pretty easy to train it's normally us that need more training. Have you tried just taking him out to pee and then just bringing right back in elimate any play time well outside so he gets the idea that going outside is for taking care of business and not play time. Also did yu buy a pet stain and odor spray I found petenzyme to be great for elminate the urine odor because if you don't they will keep going in the same spot. Hope it helps
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM

Thank you

Thank you, I will try these things. Also, he only eats dry food and his poo is always very mushy that I can't pick it up without it being mushed in the carpets. Why is it so soft and how do i change it from being soft to being a bit harder?
Old January 30th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

1st - he should be on adult food at this point. He doesn't need different nutrition than adult dogs. You want him to grow slowly and on the thin side so that he doesn't stress his joints and bones. Puppy food can be too rich.
2nd - solid packed canned pumpkin is great for constipation or soft stools. It is pure fiber and fixes a problem in a day. Give him a couple of tablespoons with his meal and keep it up until you see a change.
3rd - Add yogurt (plain or vanilla) or his food every day. Just a tablespoon will do. He could have this in his food for the rest of his life. It is full of good flora for his stomach and will help him digest his food better.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Thank you

Thank you, pumpkin is a great idea. I will definitely try it.
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Just one thing,it's not the Pumpkin that you make the pies with.It has to be the pure pumpkin.Cooked rice also works.

Also,what are you feeding him now?
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:26 PM

Feeding

I am feeding him Beneful dog food.
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I am feeding him Beneful dog food.
There's your problem right there.......

Here's the first 10 ingredients:

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol.

You NEVER want to feed your dog too many grains, especially corn!! The first ingredient should ALWAYS be meat, not by products, and the rest should be meat meal, not by-products. Also, the 9th ingredient is sugar!!! That is NOT good for a dog. There are tons of threads on here about good quality dog foods. Beneful is at the bottom of the bunch. I strongly advise switching his food. You'll see the amazing benefits of high quality foods almost immediately. You'll also be feeding way less, so you'll save money, which is always a good thing!!
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM

Food

Thank you. Do you have any reccomendations for a good quality dog food?
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Ditto on what heeler's said......

Here are a few VERY good premium brands:

Innova
Wellness
Canidae
Nutro Natural
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul
Eagle Pack Holistic

Also,the first 5 ingredients should not contain corn.
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:26 PM

I agree with Mona. All of those foods are amazing quality. I feed my 2 heelers Innova Evo, and I can't say enough about that food. It's changed their energy levels, and their poops are like little rocks!

My border eats raw food, and I understand that's not for everyone. That's why Evo is such a great choice. It's like raw food in kibble form. They hold the kibble together with potatoes instead of grains or fillers. There are absolutely no grains in that food, and it's high in protein so you feed way less.

Here's the ingredient list (www.naturapet.com):
Turkey Chicken Turkey Meal Chicken Meal Potatoes Herring Meal Chicken Fat Natural Flavors Egg Calcium Carbonate Garlic Apples Carrots Tomatoes Cottage Cheese Alfalfa Sprouts Taurine Lecithin Rosemary Extract Vitamins/Minerals

It's also an all life stages food, so you never have to switch. That's my recommendation if you can't feed raw, but all of the other brands that Mona listed are also quite good.
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:43 PM

Need some help as well, and a lot of things have been answered here but not everything.

I have a 4 month old beagle that we just got this weekend. He does an EXCELLANT job for the most part about pooping outside, but he refuses to pee. i can be out there up to an hour at times with no pee.

then he will come back into the house and ten minutes later you catch him peeing on the carpet or on the tile in the kitchen. we have that natures miricale and something else we use to clean up after him, but it doesnt work.

he doesnt pee in the same spot either, its just wherever he feels like it, never twice in the same spot so far in a couple of days.

i cant seem to get him to pee outside. any suggestions?

also, this dog poops like 6 times per day. we feed him at the same time, 6am and 5pm, 1 cup of dry food each time. i thought dogs were supposed to hold it approx their month of age in hours, but this dog goes pee or poo (inside and out) at least 15 times per day.

i even wake up every two hours at night to take him out...but its just not working and im only getting like 3-4 hours of sleep to boot.

i take treats with me and when he goes outside i praise him and give him treats but hes just not grasping the concept at all.