Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old April 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I wish you a fervent good luck Took me about 8 days to get back up to mostly functional Don't know if Toshiba has online support, but I got a lot of help from HP's online tech chat lines...would have been even better if I hadn't been losing the connection every 5 minutes

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I like HP tech support.my compaq is owned by HP so i've used their tech support and they were great to deal with.
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree about HP chat! Despite my failing connections, the techs were very helpful and found me a solution in less than half an hour!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

When we bought our compaq it came with 256mb of memmory and with in the first few weeks i bought a 512mb memmory stick from the store the pc came from and the memmory stick they said i needed.well it slowed down my pc and when i took it to their tech guys they could figure it out.hp chat had it working properly in these then an hour.i wanted a HP laptop but it was out of the price range.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That musta been a while ago! It only had 256 M of memory? I remember those days!

Actually, the machine that had the motherboard failure had 512 M installed in it. I was really surprised that only 3 years later, computers were coming with 4G or more of memory! Surprised, but a nice surprise. It wasn't all that expensive, either. I only need the HP tower and it was less than $600

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel I feel your pain LOL when yours crashed.

My Boys PC bit the dust lastnight (He was running XP) I knew It was happening did a backup day before & gives me an excuse to get him a laptop. .

Its a easy fix in all honesty but its about 3yrs old. & what I will do is replace what failed & send it/donate to person in need.

His is the oldest out of the bunch & custom built by me. but he has been buggin for a laptop & now he can get one (I just gotta share mine for now)

When I built it 3yrs ago it cost me $1400+ back then as I didnt want everything intregrated into motherboard. So graphics/sound/LAN/& USB are all seperate cards. + it sports a 22inch LCD moniter. which flips when your doing long Documents.

I will miss PITA Until I breathe life into it < Pain in The Ass as when I bought XP Prof for it the disk was bad & I had to get a replacement from MS took 3wks for it to come LOL.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That musta been a while ago! It only had 256 M of memory? I remember those days!

Actually, the machine that had the motherboard failure had 512 M installed in it. I was really surprised that only 3 years later, computers were coming with 4G or more of memory! Surprised, but a nice surprise. It wasn't all that expensive, either. I only need the HP tower and it was less than $600
I bought it back in 2005.and since then have put 2 512 memmory sticks in.it's does good execpt for gaming and same with the laptop which is ok.i'm not a gamer anyways.I think my next one will be custom made.
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Okay...yet another mystery. How do I backup my email separately? I hate the way Vista wants to do it all for you--but then I have no idea where something might be on the backup disks.

In XP, I could go out to the store file for email and copy the account information, the contacts and the actual emails to an Email Backup file, which I then copied out to a backup CD. Can I do that in Vista?

I tried using the Backup function of Vista and just selected the email files, but then I had to put only those files on the CD. That's sort of a waste of space. (I used to put email backup, and a couple other large folder backups on the same CD.) Is there some way I can make a copy of the Windows Mail store file and put that out to a CD with copies of those other large folders?

Or is it just easier to let Vista do the whole backup routine by itself? If you do that, can you go to the back up disks and easily find the files you need to restore if you only need one or two files and don't want to restore everything?

Sigh....I'm getting used to life with Vista, but it sure ain't the best use of my time

Old April 26th, 2009, 09:38 PM
You can call me DOG!

Does Vista not have the good old Windows Explorer where you can drag and drop other large folders into the CD Drive in a "My Computer" location?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yes, but you have to create the backup folder for the email program first before you can drag and drop--at least you do in XP if you want the email backup to contain contacts and account information as well as the actual emails. I'm not sure how to do that in Vista, if it can even be done.

There is an automatic backup feature, but it hogs the whole CD-RW for just email info and then closes it to additional files. If I have to, I can just do the email backup separately and add an extra disk to my backups, but it's such a waste.

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Let me know how it all goes.i haven't tried to backup my files yet.i have a backup disk.but don't know if i need blank ones for backing up or the dicks that came with the laptop.i've never ever have backedup files.
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

When I first got my laptop it was supposed to allow me to save the start up hardware, so if I have a crash, I can re install the startup stuff.

It kept getting stuck and freezing! To this day I've never backed up anything because it's such a pain in the butt. which is why I'm looking for one of those portable drives to save all my photos.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
When I first got my laptop it was supposed to allow me to save the start up hardware, so if I have a crash, I can re install the startup stuff.

It kept getting stuck and freezing! To this day I've never backed up anything because it's such a pain in the butt. which is why I'm looking for one of those portable drives to save all my photos.
I plan i getting one in the future for my photo's and important documents.
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Were those the recovery disks, AG? Those actually worked pretty well for me

And I can backup my data easily. All I need to do now is figure out how to keep all my email info backed up.

Old April 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah Hazel, the recovery disk. I still have not been able to figure that out.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

One thing I found out is that if it collects the data and writes it, but the verification fails, don't tell it to try again. Just cancel the job, and retry it from the beginning--it'll pick up where it left off. If you just retry, every disk you try to write seems to fail during verification. When I finally just stopped the job and restarted it, the very next disk verified fine.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll have to give that a try then. Seems it would be easier to just have the darn discs already for the consumer!

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I'll have to give that a try then. Seems it would be easier to just have the darn discs already for the consumer!
I do have disk i got with the laptop if it crashes.i quess i will need to pick some blank ones up to backup all my pics and documents.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

You got a Vista disk, angeldogs? On mine, there is a factory image burned to the hard drive but if you want that on a recovery disk, you have to make your own. The thing that bothers me the most is that I'm noticing a lot of my CDs and DVDs are failing after two years or so...which means about the time I need that recovery disk, it's going to be kaput

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I don't have the vista disk it's self but i got 2 recovery disk and wndows live one care disk is what came with it.
I am enjoying some of the vista like when you put a site to the task bar and when you touch it with the curser it shows you what it is and i like the document folder better.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hate the directory system! But then, I sort of did in XP, too--all those extra folders that I don't use. I have my own system....matches madame hazel's zany personality! The beauty of it is that my data is perfectly safe--noone can find it without madame hazel's crystal ball!

I like the switch between windows feature...I don't find it useful, but occasionally i just do it cuz it's cool to watch!

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I know the switch between windows is cool to watch.I'm liking the Vista much better then i thought i would.just getting used it after being with XP.it was the same when i went from 98 to XP.liked it better just had to get used to it.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I went from 95 to XP. No complaints there, at all! I was just so happy the machine wasn't shutting itself down every 20 minutes or so like the Windows 95 one was! The worst part was that the durn thing would hang during the shutdown!

Ah, yes...sweet memories of Windows 95, worst operating system ever introduced by MS. So far, I think XP has been their best. Although Vista is nowhere near as bad as 95, it definitely can't hold a to XP. IMHO, of course

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

seems some like it others don't.i just got the internet explorer 8 as it down loaded it in my update.i'm going to have fun playing with some of the features on it.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I just got that upgrade, too. The only thing I've done with it so far is remove the annoying Favorites Bar from the Toolbar... Does it have useful features?

Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I went from 95 to XP. No complaints there, at all! I was just so happy the machine wasn't shutting itself down every 20 minutes or so like the Windows 95 one was! The worst part was that the durn thing would hang during the shutdown!

Ah, yes...sweet memories of Windows 95, worst operating system ever introduced by MS. So far, I think XP has been their best. Although Vista is nowhere near as bad as 95, it definitely can't hold a to XP. IMHO, of course

I lurve XP. It's so user friendly.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Okay...a new annoyance.

Either Vista or IE 8 doesn't cache pages as well as XP or IE 7 did. When I open a picture thread, it's always taken me a while to download all the pics the first time. However, with the old system, the images were cached and the next time I got into the thread (as long as I did it within a day or two) the cached images came in quickly.

Not so with Vista and IE 8--everytime I get into a picture thread, the pictures load as slowly as if it were the first time.

Anyone know how to tweak this system into caching images?

Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
You can call me DOG!

Ah man, you got IE 8 too?

Our IT guy told us to refrain from downloading IE 8 til he can see if it's compatible with our network. Sorry Madame, I can't give any caching comments for IE 8 but I will inquire.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, klm. I have my automatic updates set for manual download now.

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, try using Firefox as your browser. It might help with the slowness.