Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM

Sick puppy?

My husband and I bought a black female lab puppy 10 days ago. She is AKC registered and a pedigree. The breeder said she was the smallest puppy compare to her brothers and sisters and thats why she would look like she is 8 weeks old.
Question 1 : Since 4 or 5 days she has diarrhea, its not really liquid but it dont looks like normal poopy. That could be because we changed her food after we got her,or?
Question 2 : Can dogs have dandruff? As I rubbed her today I saw a lot of dandruff right there were her tail is attached to her body. Or could it be because we went swimming with her in the ocean on saturday and the salt water dried her skin? We gave her a bath after we came home and I really never realized that dandruff before!
Question 3 : Since 2 days we saw that she lost some fur on her left last toe. Its not so much and there is still fur left and it looks like its getting thicker already! My husband said it could be because he was grwoing or she bit herself.
But I am really confused and dont know what to do. Should we watch her a couple more days or should we go straight to a vet?
We had a belgian sheperd and she had diarrhea too after we had changed her food but not the other things.
But by the way our little lab seems healthy, she is bouncing, running and playing around and she is growing super fast!!
I hope someone can help me!
Thank you!

Nini
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM
banned user

Poops

Hi

If she is 8 weeks or hasnt had her 2nd set of shots yet,she shouldnt be out and about,as she can contract a deadly disease called Parvo Virus,which causes vomiting and diarrhea,and I wouldnt take her in the salt water anymore,its probably not good for her baby skin or coat

Dogs who have diarrhea,get dehydrated very quickly and I wouldnt let this go on anymore,take her to the vet please
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:17 PM

your puppy is very sick...sounds to me like flea dander--dandruff and probably an internal parasite

this puppy needs to go to the vet immediatly--bring a stool sample with you

keep us updated
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:50 PM

Hi

I called two vets!!!!
They said the pup is ok. Diarrhea is because of the new food.( She got Parvo and Distempter at the end of september) Dandruff is because of the salt water. One will look at the toe on wednesday, he said it could be the food or the grass outside, or fleas. He will give her the second parvo shot on wednesday too!
I dont know if I should believe it, but 2 docs said the same thing!!!

Nini
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:52 PM

I forgot something!

The pup is 14 weeks old, I think I never said that!
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:20 PM
banned user

Sick pup

Calling a vet and visiting one are two diff things,..ANY vet worth his weight will not give you a diagnosis on the phone,based on what you tell him..he will ask to see the dog asap.

If your puppy has been sick for 4-5 days then its time to take her into the vet in person and not rely on what is said over the phone.A vet needs to examine her in order to determine the cause of her illness..
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM

Hi

I have an appointment for tomorrow already. You dont have to complain. I am really scared because I dont want to lose her and just wanted to tell you what those vets said! Sorry!
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM
banned user

Good luck

Iam glad that you are taking her to see a vet and I hope its not serious Good luck!