Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 26th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Hungry dog

Here's the scenario. The other day, I'm up early (as usual, at the cats' insistence) and there's a boxer puppy loose in the alley. He was in my neighbour's yard - crawled under the gate - and the neighbour had given him a little food, which he gobbled up. No ID, just a choke collar. I had seen him before, a few doors down, where some people moved in a few weeks ago. There's another dog, too, an old labX with a greying muzzle. The yard is pretty secure but the puppy had managed to tear away part of a makeshift barrier. Anyway, I went and got the dog and took him around to the front door (there being no gate onto the alley). The guy came to the door and was amazed that the dog had escaped. Very friendly. Thank you. Goodbye. The thing is, this dog is so thin. Are boxers supposed to be ribby? Every rib is visible. Didn't say anything at the time.
Just now, I was coming down the alley and the boxer was at the fence so I was patting him. The guy came out on the porch and said immediately, please don't feed him. I said no, I wasn't feeding him, but since he had brought it up, said, isn't your dog a bit thin? He response was: Goodbye! (as in F off) I'm guessing he's heard this before. The dog appears healthy and full of energy, never seems to be walked, I guess people think they can just throw a dog in the back yard and that will be enough. The guy is not young, not (apparently) stupid. Apart from sneaking food through the fence (hard to do since he is shut up in the apartment all day), is there ANYTHING I can do? Will the SPCA look into such cases? I'd love to sic them on this arrogant creep. I'm in Montreal.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:57 PM

It's strange that nobody answered your question, there is a lot of people here informed about how to deal with SPCA...
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Sammi

Call your local SPCA, explain that the dog is thin, (you can leave a recorded message at most office's and stay anon). They must have a proper address to investigate. They should atleast do a "welfare check" on the dog. if the dog has a condition that he's under the vet for, the owner HAS to give all this info to the attending officer and the offier will validate it with the vet.

Whatever the case may be, if the officer finds the dog to be underweight, the owner will be ordered to take the dog to a vet and follow all vets instructions to the latter. If the order is not complied with, the owner will be issued a notice of removal and the dog will be removed.

If it's lack of feeding, orders will still be issued. What they stipulate will depend on the situation.

It won't hurt to have a welfare check done on this dog. If the owner has nothing to hide, there shouldn't be a problem.