Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post

Does this mean though he will not be charged with animal cruelty?
No the charges stand.....pity is, that he was charged criminally which falls under the Feds and not under Provincial Laws that carry stiffer penalties
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:15 PM

In regards to the discussion about 65 (or 300??) cats being culled:

Loving an animal is knowing when to euthanize. Euthanasia is not only for those who are suffering, it also a humane way to cull. Too many people think with their heart and not with their head. The grossly excess cat/dog population could only be solved by using many more heads than hearts. Something rational has to be done when there are excess numbers. If the options are to spread the resources too thin or to cull the numbers to a manageable population - I know what my choice would be. I wish it wasn't so, but innocents must die for the betterment of the animals as a whole.

To each of you; would you rather spread your resources between 100 animals and watch as their health declines, or cull 50 of them so the remaining 50 can thrive? Don't expect any help from your neighbours either because they also have 100 animals and limited resources.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Tim Trow

[QUOTE

Does this mean though he will not be charged with animal cruelty?QUOTE]

The charges still stand - his resignation has no bearing on that.

Last edited by Ford; January 28th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:50 PM

Myka, you are so correct - every day shelters have to make those tough decisions. They have limited space and financial resources, so the best use of both is a primary concern. Every life is precious, but not every life can be saved.

The process of choosing those who must be euthanized is a very painful one and those who have to carry this task out are heavily burdened with compassionate fatigue. I have been right there too many times.

Someday there will hopefully be a raised awareness of this sorrow - pet owners will be more responsible and animals will not be regarded as "disposable" - relinquished to the streets or shelters. And..... all pets will be spayed/neutered - a mandate that SHOULD be addressed by EVERY municipality by providing the means to have it done by all residents at a low cost.
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
-

This mornings blurbette in the T. Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/toro...ing-resolution
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM
-

I was just reading "One Bark at a Time" blog....the author of this blog and another were at the THS on the weekend taking better photos of the dogs available for adoption....way better than the THS's prior photos. He was going to post the pics on the blog so that the animals could receive more exposure.....to me the more exposure = faster adoptions. Apparently the THS sees otherwise and objects

Please read the email the blog writer received:

http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/s...max-results=25
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Re: ^

Wtf is wrong with some of the people at THS???
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Kitty pimp

a few questions

receivership as in a bamkruptcy?
ths is a pricate entity and ospca is a govt body ?
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I was just reading "One Bark at a Time" blog....the author of this blog and another were at the THS on the weekend taking better photos of the dogs available for adoption....way better than the THS's prior photos. He was going to post the pics on the blog so that the animals could receive more exposure.....to me the more exposure = faster adoptions. Apparently the THS sees otherwise and objects
Examiner.com reply THS's Senior Communicator's - A Short-Sighed Photo Hoarder? http://www.examiner.com/x-34913-Toro...-photo-hoarder What the heck is going on more exposure = more adoptions

You can see a slideshow of some of the adotable dogs at the end of the article. It's also been said the cats new photo's are in the works as well
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
a few questions

receivership as in a bamkruptcy?

I think it is more to oversee the way the money is utilized Jim...there is rumblings of misappropriation of funds.

ths is a pricate entity and ospca is a govt body ?
They are both charities that are publicly funded by donations.....The OSPCA oversees Animal Cruelty investigations on behalf of the Province....they did receive a one time grant from the Provincial Government in the amount of $5 million, that had to be shared between different Humane Societies throughout Ontario.
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Contains disturbing photo's

Probably many have seen this video however I just received it by email, WOW what a powerful demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFyEJ...eature=related so impressive the amount of people who went in support of the animals woo
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
-

I'm unable to download videos.....if the disturbing parts refers to cruelty to animals, then I prefer to stick my head in the sand (I've seen enuff)...if not can you tell me what is therin?
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM
An Honest Contributor

There are photo's of some animals in obvious pain & neglect, dirty cages etc but you've probably seen them in the papers already. Just wanted to warn some who may not of otherwise clicked in.

The video was the demonstration last June - huge attendance, strong message - Tim Trow has got to go, stuff like that.
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
-

Thanks GG
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Kitty pimp

mare?

they get no govt money now ?
i cant imagine having a facility that big on donations
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
they get no govt money now ?
i cant imagine having a facility that big on donations
Hi Jim;

The OSPCA recieves a stipend yearly from the provincial government to assist with investigations expenses, but it doesn't cover the cost by a VERY. VERY long shot. This money is ONLY for investigations. All other expenses are dependent on donor dollars. It is a shame that the government doesn't completely fund the investigations department, since its sole purpose is upholding Ontario laws.

Just a note about the 5 million dollar grant from the Ontario government.....

It was given to the OSPCA. The decision to share it with the affiliated societies was not mandated by the government - it was shared as a gesture in good faith by the OSPCA to strengthen the bond among the animal welfare communities throughout the province. If the affiliates are stronger then all of the animals in the province will benefit. The mission of the OSPCA is not self serving.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM

And, just a little note.....

When the affiliates were presenting their applications for a portion of this grant, the THS submitted nothing.
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Kitty pimp

thank you
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
-

This is a summary of the court proceedings from January 26th, 2010.....It is long:

http://canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/201...10onsc608.html
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM

Well, that was a very interesting read....... why the THS "hotshots" think they can whitewash the courts is beyond me, but that judge kept her cool and saw through it all.

I hope this doesn't drag on for too long - the THS is needed badly by the city, and once this mess is cleaned up then it can rise from its ashes and return to the mission it was created for. Don't stop donating - you can give at any TD Bank to a special fund that DOESN"T go to Tim Trow's lawyers, but straight to the animals. There are still lots of animals in that building that need your help!
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM
-

A bit of a blurb in this morning's G&M regarding finances:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1463970/
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM

I think that further news reports will be more infrequent, now that the case has entered the courts. However, we have to stay tuned in and keep volunteering or donating for the animals....... the old guard that still hangs in is bitter and negative, I've heard but the staff and volunteers - the ones who REALLY do the work - have been uplifted and given hope. Things will get MUCH better!!

Last edited by Ford; February 15th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
-

Since not very much info is forthcoming about what is going on at
the THS, onebarkatatime seems about the only place to find info - scroll down abit to Feb 15th:

http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/s...max-results=25

Once you have read that, scroll a little further they have a huge litter of Cane Corsos' for adoption
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibi View Post
I think that further news reports will be more infrequent, now that the case has entered the courts. However, we have to stay tuned in and keep volunteering or donating for the animals....... the old guard that still hangs in is bitter and negative, I've heard but the staff and volunteers - the ones who REALLY do the work - have been uplifted and given hope. Things will get MUCH better!!
Thanks for the update.
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Mr. Garth Jerome

Mr. Jerome has been named as the Executive Director of the THS. There have been statements made about "all will work together", etc. but he was named in the warrant as a person who allegedly had contributed to the woes in that place. Those charges were not made lightly, and I have reservations about his being appointed to that position.

I hope that the OSPCA is successful in convincing the court that an entirely NEW board is chosen, including the Executive Director ( a position which had not existed before under Trow, because Trow was both Chair of the Board and Executive Director - a clear demonstration of bad governance, since the Board is supposed to be the boss of the E.D.)

No aspersion meant to Mr. Jerome, since these things have not been tested by the courts but...... let's just start fresh with new talent.
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibi View Post
I hope that the OSPCA is successful in convincing the court that an entirely NEW board is chosen

Does anyone have any updates on Bandit?
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Meaghan Edwards

Another article courtesy of Fred That fear mongering surely can't be legal.

http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/2...rtworm-bs.html
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM
An Honest Contributor

Latest development at the THS
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1486309/
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:52 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hmmm we dropped into the ths last weekend since we were downtown..don't know where the rest of the animals were,,,,but the numbers they have posted sure don't match up. There were less than a dozen dogs,,,and no where near the numbers for the cats...I was actually pleasantly shocked.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:06 AM
An Honest Contributor

Ex THS supervisor has been arrested and charged with 2 counts of animal cruelty http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome