Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old January 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Anyone know of a good birdfeeder?

I need to replace my feeder again. Does anyone know of a good one that does not need to be replaced every year or two? Mine is all wooden and is falling apart.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I guess it depends what type of birds your trying to attract/distract.

I prefer the tube style feeder (the ones with the metal perches) for all birds, and the ones with upside down perches for finches.

I had my first tube feeder for about 8 years, until I broke it (I was throwing an apple out for the squirrels in the winter and hit the feeder by accident, and it broke right i half)

I also prefer the wire suet cake holders, over the cedar ones, because the cedar ones fall apart.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here a good site for feeders
http://www.backyardbird.citymax.com/...26/5156064.htm

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old January 19th, 2008, 11:30 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks happycats. I will check out the site. We have just about every kind of bird around. Lots of Mourning Doves but they feed on the ground mostly. And lots of sparrows. Some Blue Jays, Chickadees and Cardinals and a few I am not sure of. I am just tired of replacing feeders all the time. The one I have looks like a little wooden house. Was not cheap. Around $75. Figured it would last longer than a year and a bit.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

home made version

What I used to do, was to take a pole, nail a flat piece of wood on top of it, and place another piece above the first on 4 corner legs, before staining the whole thing. Any leftover piece of wood will do, and even if it might need replacing, it's cheap. Actually, my last none lasted 6 years ... restained every summer along with whatever was due that year.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thanks happycats. I will check out the site. We have just about every kind of bird around. Lots of Mourning Doves but they feed on the ground mostly. And lots of sparrows. Some Blue Jays, Chickadees and Cardinals and a few I am not sure of. I am just tired of replacing feeders all the time. The one I have looks like a little wooden house. Was not cheap. Around $75. Figured it would last longer than a year and a bit.
Yeah I had one of those cedar feeders with the suet cake holders on the side, had it a couple weeks and some squirrel jumpd on the roof and bit the rope (that eld it up in the tree) , causing the feeder to fall to the ground breaking to pieces.

So if your looking for durability, the metal perch tube feeders and the best.
By the way the one I had for 8 years, I bought used at a yard sale, so it was older then years

That site also had some beautiful humming bird feeders too.

Old January 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post

That site also had some beautiful humming bird feeders too.
:sad: all I atracted to mine was wasps :sad:
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post
:sad: all I atracted to mine was wasps :sad:
Sometimes it takes awhile to attract hummingbirds, you have to make your necter sweeter until they find it then you can cut back on the sugar.
Once the hummingbirds find it, they will attack the bees and wasps.

Old January 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Remembering Lukka

Next time you are in the Burlington area check out this store
http://stores.wbu.com/burlington
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Sometimes it takes awhile to attract hummingbirds, you have to make your necter sweeter until they find it then you can cut back on the sugar.
Once the hummingbirds find it, they will attack the bees and wasps.
GREAT, well, bees are ok I don't mind them, peaceful little things, but wasps will attack seemingly without reason, and my home-made trap isn't all that elegant you see all the dead wasps floating around in the liquid. Better feed the birds with them still alive but ... because of the wasps, I threw the feeder away so I'll have to buy a new one I guess.

Any tips on where to hang it? I mean, can it be close to the house or does it need to be farther off? In a tree or on the corner of a building? (don't get those little hummers in Europe, I have no clue!)
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post
GREAT, well, bees are ok I don't mind them, peaceful little things, but wasps will attack seemingly without reason, and my home-made trap isn't all that elegant you see all the dead wasps floating around in the liquid. Better feed the birds with them still alive but ... because of the wasps, I threw the feeder away so I'll have to buy a new one I guess.

Any tips on where to hang it? I mean, can it be close to the house or does it need to be farther off? In a tree or on the corner of a building? (don't get those little hummers in Europe, I have no clue!)

It's better to hang it in the shade, if you hang it in the sun you have to clean it much more often. I have mine close to the flower beds, that also attracts them.

You have to change the food at least once a week, or it get moldy. clean the feeder with warm soapy water and rinse really well.

I make my own food and store the extra in the fridge.
1 part sugar 2 parts boiling water (wait until it reaches room temp before filling feeder) to attract new birds, I mix it half and half until they come.

Old January 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks happycats, I'd filled it and hung it in the sun!! All wrong. Won't do that again, lol.
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

The Wild Birds Unlimited store that Lukka'sma linked to is awesome. They have some really good, well-built bird feeders and I love their Advanced Pole System.

Another good option is Lee Valley. I have this spiral feeder which is well suited for lots of different sized birds.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:28 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. I am always amazed how fast questions get answered on here. Shouldn't be by now, should I?
I will check out that store in Burlington Lukka'sma. Hubby says he knows approx. where it is. I don't know Burlington at all.
Happycats, sugarcatmom, and Sarah.... thanks for the suggestions as well. If I wasn't so lazy I would go get my scroll saw going and make one.
Or is it if I wasn't always on a certain site that is taking up a lot of my time.
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

grak! I can't open more than one window at a time or my modem hangs, so I can't see if anyone has posted a link to feeders like these:

Name:  Chickadee at the feeder 2-25-07.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  32.0 KB

It doesn't show the cover, which unhooks and swings aside for filling.

The chickadees, cardinals, nuthatches, finches and bluejays love it.

They're made of metal mesh and nearly indestructible by squirrels--we've had red squirrels trying to chew through them with no luck for 2 years now. And they're easy to clean and fill.

We can get them at places like Wal*Mart, Farm and Fleet, and lots of garden stores and feed mills here.

The only problem we have is that if the raccoons try to raid it, they bend the links that hold the feeder to the hanger. I just take a pliers out when I see that they've been bent and close them up again before the feeder comes down. But even if it falls before I get to it, since it's made of metal, it doesn't break. Just reattach the hanger, refill, and it's good to go!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
grak! I can't open more than one window at a time or my modem hangs, so I can't see if anyone has posted a link to feeders like these:

Attachment 32760

They're made of metal mesh and nearly indestructible by squirrels--we've had red squirrels trying to chew through them with no luck for 2 years now. And they're easy to clean and fill.

We can get them at places like Wal*Mart, Farm and Fleet, and lots of garden stores and feed mills here.

The only problem we have is that if the raccoons try to raid it, they bend the links that hold the feeder to the hanger. I just take a pliers out when I see that they've been bent and close them up again before the feeder comes down. But even if it falls before I get to it, since it's made of metal, it doesn't break. Just reattach the hanger, refill, and it's good to go!
Ohhhhh i like that one! I'll have to check it out at Walmart. My parents have big problems with rhe squirrels and Racoons.

Old January 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

Oh neat Hazel! I have never seen one like that at our WM! Will have to look again.
Don't have squirrels or raccoons hanging around here much because Sam (the labx) scares them off when she is outside. And if she doesn't the tenants two shepards do!
My birdies just haven't been eating a whole lot lately and I couldn't figure out why. The wood at the bottom of mine was soaking wet and rotting the food. Yuck! So it got a good cleaning out and will have to do until I can get to the store for a new one.
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
The Wild Birds Unlimited store that Lukka'sma linked to is awesome. They have some really good, well-built bird feeders and I love their Advanced Pole System.

Another good option is Lee Valley. I have this spiral feeder which is well suited for lots of different sized birds.
thanks for the information I love to have birds around and the advanced pole system looks cool, there is a lee valley in Edm I will check them out also. pbp
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Attachment 32760

this looks like "the cats meow" great feeder, do you have a nmae for it I don't hink i have seen it in any of our stores here? pbp
Old January 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Don't have squirrels or raccoons hanging around here much because Sam (the labx) scares them off when she is outside. And if she doesn't the tenants two shepards do!
Our coons and squirrels feast at our feeders with 8 dogs staring at them from 3 feet away on the other side of the fence! Great guard dogs, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
this looks like "the cats meow" great feeder, do you have a nmae for it I don't hink i have seen it in any of our stores here? pbp
I can't remember the name or manufacturer...hubby doesn't either.

This is what they look like.

http://www.countrystorecatalog.com/p...K723RMB0XB3WV2

They are not called "Birds and Blooms" when you see them in the store. It was just the only site I had bookmarked and cached that had them... They come in a double like this one and also a single version that is basically the bottom half only with a cover on it.

We've seen them at True Value hardware stores and at Pet Food Plus as well as some of the farmer stores (although hubby tells me that he's never seen them at Walmart, so perhaps hazel's memory misled her there ):

I'm going into town on Monday. If I have time, I'll try to stop in someplace and get a model and manufacturer.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Kelly I (Rainbow Bridge)

Bird feeders

If you're lucky enough to live near a Wild Bird Store, have a look at what's available. These would be the better feeders. I make most of my own feeders and they last for many years.

As a previous post noted, different birds have different needs for feeders. For example if you want to feed finches and chickadees, you don't want 50 bluejays attacking these feeders. In my situation I have jay proof feeders, peanut feeders, suet feeders, platform feeders for jays and doves. All my feeders are squirrel proof. God, what a challenge it is just to feed these poor creatures.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I wasn't able to find any of the feeders at Walmart when I went in last week, but I'll keep my eyes peeled and try to remember to post back if I see them later in the year.

At my house, James, all our feeders are equal opportunity restaurants! We've found that if we exclude the squirrels, the red squirrels get more destructive elsewhere--besides, they're fun to watch, both for us and the dogs. And the blue jays come through every day, at about the same time every day, and only for an hour or so. The little birds get the feeders the rest of the day.

I do like the Wild Bird feeders, though--we have a couple in use that are in need of some replacement parts, but we're so far from a Wild Bird store that we just sort of limp along with them. They're just tube feeders for sunflower but (except for the plastic sleeves on the perches) they're indestructible! The metal parts all have gnaw marks from the red squirrels trying to make the ports bigger, but they didn't have much luck.

We get chickadees, red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatches, cardinals, downy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, siskins, mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays, evening grosbeaks, goldfinches and even the occasional grouse in to the feeders this time of year. (Not to mention the squirrels, flying squirrels, deer, raccoons, and mice...) Lots of fun to watch! Busy feeders are better than a dog sitter if you're trying to get something done that requires the doggies be elsewhere!

Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Kelly I (Rainbow Bridge)

Bird feeders

I think you may be right about being an equal opportunity feeding station. We have been separating our feeders for years and it causes nothing but grief. The problem with our red squirrels is that they hate to share. Also, they will destroy feeders trying to make the holes bigger.

I have to take in our feeders at night as the raccoons will tear them apart and lug them off.

You certainly have a wide variety of visitors.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Lots of visitors from the surrounding woods--we're in the middle of 136,000 acres of county forest....

We've only had minimal problems with the coons. They knocked one hummingbird feeder down one night (must've had a sweet tooth), but couldn't get it out of the fence and finally realized all the nectar had run out, anyway, so it was abandoned. This past summer, I pulled the feeders in for about 3 nights running because the neighbors shepherd's hook was bent to the ground by a bear trying to get to their seed. The bear seemed to avoid our yard, though (too doggy for his tastes, I expect), so I put the feeders back up.

Maybe our seed feeders are just too heavy for the coons to run off with?

The mesh feeders we use are pretty impervious to all gnawing--the links that hold the handle to the body of the feeder sometimes get bent from the weight of an adult raccoon, but we just close them back up with pliers and the feeder is good to go again. My biggest complaint about the feeders is that if you have any ice or even wet snow, the clips on the top that hold the covers on can freeze. Usually, I can unfreeze them with the warmth of my fingers, but I was close to frostbite last week trying to get them open in -30 degree temps! brrrrrrrrr