Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 9th, 2003, 10:20 PM

Unhappy Wobbly Rottweiler

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what might cause my 7 y.o. Rottweiler Barkley to be reluctant to stand? He's wobbly when he walks, his front paws kind of "buckle up" and he will fall. He lays with his front paws turned in "fist like" and will lick them. He doesn't have any cuts on them and no visible signs of injury any where. He's eating & drinking ok and is alert. Its breaking my heart to see him like this and I can't afford a vet right now due to my own medical condition. If someone has an answer, please let me know asap. ( I know that Rotties are prone to hip problems, but it seems like its something else, since its affecting his front legs too.)
-Shawn
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:27 PM

Maybe it's arthistis (having spelling problem).

How long has he been like this??

Is there a clinic around you that will work w/you for billing (i understand you can't afford a vet right now) but maybe there is a low or no cost clinic around that can help you.

I will look into this (my best friend had a rottie) and I'll see what I can find out for you.

keep me updated please.

Do you have any pictures of him? I love rotties.
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:38 PM

Hi, thanks for answering, Daisy.
He's only been like this for a couple days now. I've been giving him aspirin twice a day and Glucosamine-Chondroitin w/ MSM that I've heard will help if is his joints. I don't have any pictures of him online, but he's such a big baby. He has this huge teddy bear head and a disposition of a Golden Retriever ( he was raised with a Golden.) I couldn't of asked for a sweeter dog. I just can't stand to see him like this...I cry every time he falls!
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:43 PM

Hello,

I just talked to a couple of people. They said it could be hip displaysia, a stroke, a back problem , or nervous system problem.

It can also be severe arthritis.

Your rottie really needs to see a vet ASAP, he needs to get evaluated this sounds very serious.

You can call your local SPCA or whatever agency you have around you and see if they know of a vet that will work w/you finiancially. They might even be able to look at him for you. Explain your situation to them.

Please keep me updated, and let me know what is wrong w/him. And Please get him looked at ASAP.
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:57 PM

Hello csm,

Your welcome.

Maybe even try to call the Humane Society near you and see if they can look at your rottie, or see if they know of a low cost, or free clinic.

here are some websites you can use as a guide, but you still need to get him looked at by a vet asap.

www.merckvetmanual.com

www.veterinarypartner.com

www.vetinfo.com

hope this will give you some idea as to what is wrong w/your baby. Please keep me updated, i'd like to know how he's doing.
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:15 PM

Daisy,
I just got off the phone with my son' s friends stepmom, she works for a vet. She thinks its his joints. Its gotten colder here over the weekend and she thinks its caused him to be in more pain. She doesn't think he has been poisoned or had a stroke because he is alert and hasn't vomitted or had loose stools. She thinks maybe a steriod shot might help, so I'll makes some phone calls tomorrow. He has actually gotten up and walked around outside and has been out for the last 10 minutes or so.
Maybe in the next few days we'll see some improvement. I better go out and check on him. Nice talking to you, Daisy. I'll keep you posted.
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:17 PM

Hello csm,

Nice talking to you too. Please do keep me posted. hope i was of some help.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

csm.I had a GSD that had hip problems.And it does not effect the front paws at all.PLEASE do not ever give your dog asperin without seeing a vet.Your dog needs to SEE a vet ASAP.You can't ever assume something is wrong without having him checked.There must be a way to borrow money or ask a vet for a payment plan.What happens if things get serious with him.Then what?I'm sorry but it hurts me and I know other people when we hear people saying there is something wrong with their pet and they can't afford to take it to the vet.And there have been so many people like that in here.Once again,I'm sorry but that is how I feel.And don't be surprised if others say the same.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Mona_b is absolutely right. Arthritis and HD so not make paws turn in.

This could be spinal or neurological problems. If you "cry every time he falls" think how you'll feel if he ends up paralyzed!

Please take your dog to a vet!
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well, lets see....answer these questions yourself:

Do you think it's going to get better without medical attention?

Do you think your dog is happy with the current situation?

Do you think you are doing everything in your power to make
the situation better?

Do you think you are adding to the problem by not seeking care?

Do you think that the dog can take itself for medical care?

Sorry for your medical problems, but there are others (including myself who are in the same situation) YET we find a way!

I think I am going to save this post, in my drafts section of outlook express and just cut and paste it every time a situation like this arises. Seems to me people are just either making things up and wasting our time or truly aren't thinking compassionately.

Since I don't know for sure which it is....maybe I'll let them all answer for themselves.

Luba
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Well said Luba.
I can't for the life of me understand why people get pets if they can't afford to take care of them.I know a few friends of mine that would love to have a dog.But they did the math and realized that it would be impossible at this time.Pets get sick.And when they do they must see a vet.And yes they can be expensive.But you have to be willing to pay that price to keep your pets healthy.They are a part of our family.For a long time God willing.We must keep them healthy and happy.
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

AMEN!!!!!
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:05 PM

To all of you out there who have critized me for not immediately taking my dog to the vet because I could not afford it (I have missed over three weeks of work due to pneumonia, if it matters to you), I wanted you all to know that I did take him to a vet today and it is arthritis. He is actually doing so much better today. He isn't falling and is moving around alot better.
I'm sorry if I angered you all for not seeking immediate treatment, but people have problems arise that are beyond their control.
Where is your compassion?
I guess I came to the wrong place.
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:49 PM

Hello csm,

Glad to hear that you took him to the vet. And to hear that he is doing better.

Everyone on here loves dogs (I'm not saying you don't, so please don't take this the wrong way). And when we heard that he was having problems, we wanted you to seek help asap. We didn't want to find out that he had serious problems or permeant damage due to not getting to the vet in time.

Quote:
(I have missed over three weeks of work due to pneumonia, if it matters to you)
I'm sorry to hear that. Are you ok?

Quote:
I'm sorry if I angered you all for not seeking immediate treatment, but people have problems arise that are beyond their control.
I understand that, for I too have problems arise that are beyond my control. That's why I recommended calling the Humane Society, or a local SPCA to see if they could help you, or recommend someone to you that will work w/you financially, or if they knew of a low cost clinic.

We only wanted to help you get your rottie taken care of. You said you cry every time he falls, that too is why we were so concerned. So please don't take offense to our opinons. We were only trying to help you.

Quote:
I guess I came to the wrong place.
You didn't come to the wrong place. I learned alot from this forum, and I'm still learning. This is a very helpful forum. Hope you decide to stay.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:05 PM

Hi Daisy,
I truely appreciate your concern, but the others seemed kinda mean and on the attack about my situation. I was getting frantic because I love my dog so much and I was searching for possible reasons to Barkleys problem and just wanted to hear some kind words, I felt so helpless not having any $$ to take him to the vet.
Its not like I'm always in the suituation where I can't afford to have pets(as someone mentioned earlier.) I just had an unfortunate month. I am a responsible pet owner. I have two dogs, two cats, two ferrets AND THEY ALL ARE NEUTERED! They are very loved, spoiled and get tons of attention from our family(I have three kids also).
Thank you again for your hospitality and being so kind, when I really needed it.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

And the DOGS arthritis is beyond it's control!!!

I am assuming you got medical care for yourself when you got ill correct?

If you could not leave your home to get vet care, there are many vets that will do house calls FYI!!

I am delighted you did take the dog, there are many natural products that can help a dog with arthritis. A change of food sometimes can be beneficial. Glucosamine and Shark Cartilidge is great, and if the pain is bad they tend to use Metacam.

You're wrong about compassion, all you got from us was compassion...... you were just looking for compassion for yourself but at the dogs expense my friend.

I am sorry about your pneumonia, but I'm not complaining about my (4) years of ill health ..... and a $6000 vet bill my dog had over a two week period when he got sick from cancer before he died...SO LUMP IT!!
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:12 PM

Luba,
You sure are an angry person. It must be all the cold weather you have there in Canada. I never understood why people could be so nasty to someone that they don't even know. This will be last post on this site, I can't believe that you are so rude.
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I am getting sick and tired of this! Someone comes and says, "HELP - my dog/cat is bleeding/crying/ vomiting/ falling over/ not eating/ not moving/ pregnant/ dying - tell me what to do!"

So we say (as anyone with any common sense would) "Take your pet to the vet!"

And then we get a belligerent and nasty answer that "Well, I have problems/ no money/ am sick/it's Thanksgiving/vet is too far and you are all meanies...blah blah...".

Also, and for the last time - NO ONE here can diagnose and treat your seriously or critically ill/dying pet over the internet. Got it?
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Talking

Yah my dog taught me how to growl

LMFHO

GRrrrrrrrr (cough cough) whoopse not doing it right let me try again....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr (hey that was better) **Showing teeth and all**

I can howl too but thats much better in person
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Senior Contributor

csm...I am so glad you took your Rottie to the vet and it's "only" arthritis. Not fun for the poor dog, but certainly easier all around than some weird neurological problem.

And Lucky is right on. You really should not take offense. If you read throgh all the posts on the vet forum you'll see that
the majority of people come on & describe something that sounds:

a: Terribly serious with a dog in terrible pain, or dying.
b: Something that cannot POSSIBLY be diagnosed over the internet, even by a veterinarian,
c: Both of the above.

So of course the logical answer is - PLEASE TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET BECAUSE NOBODY HERE CAN HELP YOU. And usually the answer is something along the lines of I cannot afford it. And so we're like, well, then your dog is either going to remain in terrible pain, and/or die if this animal does not get to a vet ASAP and what do you expect from some non-vet strangers on the internet??

And then we hear either that the animal has died, or we never hear from the poster again which probably means the animal died. So you can understand why us regulars get impatient and rude with the "I can't afford it" responses because what are we supposed to do??

Anyhow a longwinded way of saying rudeness is actually out of compassion for the pet (and frustration!) And is you want to come back & post/read on this board you are surely welcome. Plus I need some more Rottie owners here to keep me company.
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Geez,and to think I was nice enough to warn her...Go figure. ..

And we are rude cause we have concers and compassion for the animal?What is this world coming to.
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well we all can have those 'feel sorry' for me times but when another life is calling for help you need to put that aside, and feel sorry for yourself later on!

It's like doing Triage, you take care of the most important things first....and anything which threatens life or health is always first in my books!

Luba
Old December 11th, 2003, 03:47 PM

As usual Luba you speak for us all!! I would add a comment but I think you said it best.
Murph's Mom
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:08 PM

Well guys,

I don't think csm is coming back. I haven't seen him post anything.

I don't try to be rude, that's not me. I try to give advice the best way I can or know. I don't mean to offend anybody, I'm just an animal lover and don't like seeing dogs hurt/suffer.

If I give bad advice or opinoins, someone please tell me.
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

No daisy you haven't been rude.None of us have.We just call things as we see it.We love our animals too.That's why it's hard not to lash out when people like csm come on here.