Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bb53 View Post
timber was brought back to the hospital this morning. no signs of improvement. we needed to get him hydrated and he wasnt drinking on his own. they put him on prednisone with an IV in him. still waiting for biopsy. although his mood did seem to improve slightly. he was excited when his leash was put on him and seemed to have maybe a bit more energy
Any update? What did they biopsy?

I forgot to add, that pred is part of Max's treatment, partly because he has low resting cortisol. If there is infection, with Max, I really worry about the pred. Because I am also using the antibiotic doxycycline (which has anti-inflammatory action), I have been able to keep the pred low, at most 10 mg per day, now at 5 mg per day, and I hope to wean him down further to help fight the infection and toxins. It's very difficult to balance infection and inflammation. I'm currently experimenting with Yucca, it's supposed to help with colitis, and also help with endotoxins. I have some reading to do on the endotoxins to put a plan together for that.

eta: As a note, I noticed in some of the readings they look to make sure that all the things that block acetylcholine are not causing this. Unfortunately, both cipro and doxy inhibit acetylcholine. I haven't figured out where this fits in, or if it does. Tough balancing the good things these drugs can do, with the bad
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

r0bb53, I'm so very sorry to see the diagnosis they have given him
The reason I asked about the vomit is because our youngest does the same. He has been sick since we got him at 7.5 weeks and he's now a year and a half. A lot of the symptoms you describe are very similar to our Nookie Monsters. They thought at one point he had Megaesophagus, but his vomit was foamy and not tube shaped. Thank goodness it wasn't ME. I hope they are wrong and you can figure out what's going on so your boy can make a full recovery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

MaxaLisa, I'm so sorry about Max as well. I didn't know you were going through so much with him. If he does have the mild form, can it be chronic like that? Everything I read said it usually runs it's course in a matter of days up to a few weeks? If it's possible that it can last years, I would be tempted to have Nookie tested. It sounds SO familiar, but to a lesser degree of the symptoms. I hope you get things figured out with Max as well

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Rgeurts! I had thought that it was some weird chronic tick disease, but he has declined so much this year, that I spent my summer vacation testing him and trying to get this figured out. He would just get winded walking from one room to the next.

It is sounding like these things are triggered by chronic infection that is somewhat subclinical, slowly doing damage in the body. In the form that Timber might have, this is an acute and aggressive attack

Our internal medicine vet even said that SIBO can cause this, when it escapes from the gut and travels through the veins.

I think, depending on the bug and the individual, maybe there could be a chronic form, but, at least in Max's case, it's just been a long, slow decline. He is also low IgA, IgG, and IgM, so he doesn't really have many defenses against these things.

For Max, I found many of these symptoms matched: http://www.dinet.org/symptoms.htm and started reading the forums there, which more closely match what Max is going through perhaps. From that site, I found the canine sites on this.

The world of infections, terribly scary the more I learn about them.
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I'm so sorry robb

I hope the vet can do something for your boy
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I've been thinking of Timber, worried that no update means not good news