Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Presa/American Bulldog mix

I recently adopted this mix from a woman, I wasn't aware of his exact breed until today and I know both breeds need extra socialization and care to be calm and happy so I need some tips!

If anyone out there has either of these breeds or a similar mix, and can help me with specific training practices that you used and if you sought out a trainer's help?

He's 11months old and does get very reactive on leash, but isn't uncontrollable. I can get him to sit, but he makes a lot of noise.

The woman I got him from said he hasn't gotten any exercise for at least the last three months so I'm hoping that he will calm down with some regular exercise, but what other things can I do to calm him down on leash?

Thanks for your help!!
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Both breeds are large and powerful. I would strongly recommend finding a GOOD training class to enroll in.
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Have to agree with LR, a good trainer or class is a starting point. He's certainly going to be a powerful dog and without lots of training will assert his power at will. Do you have a fenced yard you could play with him in before walking him? Sometimes a good game of fetch can tire them out a bit and make them less hyper on the walk. I would waste no time though in getting some professional training. Why was he given away at this age - do you know? My guess is his owners couldn't control him maybe. Good luck and we'd love to see some pics! Oh never mind, just saw Rex in the photo thread. He's fabulous.
Old September 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Both breeds are large and powerful. I would strongly recommend finding a GOOD training class to enroll in.
Good lord that you are right. Very tough breeds rolled into one.
Presa's by nature are not the best with other animals. At 11 months of age there is some major obedience training required.
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:38 PM

She gave him up because of her son's allergies and some changes in her life.

He walks well on a leash, and knows basic commands. With proper introduction he was fine with my in-law's dog. He is interested in my cat but nothing too major. He seems like a great dog so far, aside from some energy problems.

I am researching training right now! My previous dogs were large but not really of this nature, a rotti/lab mix and a pitbull mix. I'm taking this very seriously because I have a 7 month old and want her to grow up with a balanced dog! He is very good around her, btw. I will never leave them alone together, obviously but he shows no signs of being uncomfortable with her presence or touch.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:47 PM

I weighed him with WiiFit and it says he's 24kg. He'll get his check up and such in a week, so i'll know his real weight then. He seems like he'll probably top out around the same size as my Luna when she was in her prime at 80lbs. I know both breeds are larger, so it's to be seen I suppose - he is pretty thin right now. No bones are visible but his head doesn't fit his body right now that's for sure!
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:34 PM

OMG he looks soooo stressed in this picture!!!
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown. View Post
She gave him up because of her son's allergies and some changes in her life.

He walks well on a leash, and knows basic commands. With proper introduction he was fine with my in-law's dog. He is interested in my cat but nothing too major. He seems like a great dog so far, aside from some energy problems.

I am researching training right now! My previous dogs were large but not really of this nature, a rotti/lab mix and a pitbull mix. I'm taking this very seriously because I have a 7 month old and want her to grow up with a balanced dog! He is very good around her, btw. I will never leave them alone together, obviously but he shows no signs of being uncomfortable with her presence or touch.
My daughter's famliy had a pitbull mix and the dog was great with her baby. She was a great famliy dog .
Old September 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM

haha, I know. His life is very stressful these days - he can't just do whatever he wants and he doesn't like it!

"You mean I have to ask before I get on the furniture or bed? Lame!"

He is very good with my daughter. He grew up around her young kids and when I went to meet him, he was very good with them. He let them do whatever they wanted and he just went along. He seems very happy-go-lucky and easy going he just needs to burn off a lot of steam. He will definitely get me back into shape, that;s for sure. I took him for an hour long walk yesterday and my poor feet are all blistery and I'm still tired! haha

I'm in touch with a trainer right now and will be setting up a consultation as soon as he's got his shots and health check up