Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM

length of dog leash

I live in Kelowna and the regional district who's bylaws we are subjected to, are being revised.One of them is to restrict a dogs leash to 6' ,we will no longer be able to use a retractable leash longer than 6'.
My question is to find out what other cities jurisdictions have for leash length laws,if any and what your laws are.
Thanks
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Was there any reason this new law was passed? I wish my city would do the same . I hate the retractable leashes . I was out walking with my last dog and some people had their dog a long tractable leash and they let their dog get too close to me . My knees started to hurt and when I looked down both my knees where bleeding! The leash was so sharp I did not feel it cut me and when I realize I been cut the people where gone! I was so glad my dog legs did not get cut too. I live in the USA and as far as I know people can see any length for their dog leashes.
Old February 16th, 2014, 07:33 PM

kelowna is one of the most dog hating cities I know of and dog haters are always complaining and won't be happy unless dogs are banned completely from the city.I don't know how my retractable leash could cut anyone.But I use it all the time and my pooch loves to run so he has 16' to run and then he stops and sniffs and I keep walking and then he has 32 ft to run up ahead again and this way he gets more exercise and gets to run some.But when I pass some one I real him in so he can't get more than a few feet from me.
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I hate retractable leashes too, but only when used by nitwits like the people Barking encountered. They do have their good points if used properly and responsibly. Gee, just like a lot of things. It's too bad when the poor users spoil it for the good ones.

Oh yeah, I've seen them cut. My neighbour got a very bad gash behind her knee from her own dog which she allowed to roam to the end of the leash and he wrapped it around her leg. Could have happened with any one inch wide nylon leash I guess but the extra length gave her dog more momentum and he really tangled her up too. And some of the darn things are like a narrow clothesline wire in size, those can really cut.
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I hate retractable leashes too, but only when used by nitwits like the people Barking encountered. They do have their good points if used properly and responsibly. Gee, just like a lot of things. It's too bad when the poor users spoil it for the good ones.

Oh yeah, I've seen them cut. My neighbour got a very bad gash behind her knee from her own dog which she allowed to roam to the end of the leash and he wrapped it around her leg. Could have happened with any one inch wide nylon leash I guess but the extra length gave her dog more momentum and he really tangled her up too. And some of the darn things are like a narrow clothesline wire in size, those can really cut.
Things can happen no matter what a person is doing.Not sure if that warrants having a bylaw and fining people 75 bucks.But am more interested in finding out if other cities have a leash length bylaw.
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockertail View Post
kelowna is one of the most dog hating cities I know of and dog haters are always complaining and won't be happy unless dogs are banned completely from the city.I don't know how my retractable leash could cut anyone.But I use it all the time and my pooch loves to run so he has 16' to run and then he stops and sniffs and I keep walking and then he has 32 ft to run up ahead again and this way he gets more exercise and gets to run some.But when I pass some one I real him in so he can't get more than a few feet from me.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...pets/index.htm

The retractable leash is very thin and sharp and has cut people fingers off! Believe my knees where bleeding after a retractable leash rubbed against my bare knees , I had shorts on. Whenever I see a dog on a retractable leash I tell the owner to stay away from my dog and me. My dog is small if the leash cut his neck it could kill him.
Longblades , nitwit it good word for the person that cut my knees with their dog leash.
Old February 17th, 2014, 04:46 PM

Where I live, the current by-law states a leash no longer than 6 ft can be used for walking your dog. I'm pretty sure that's the common law in most areas - how much it is enforced is another story.

I've been hurt (massive hand burn/cut) from a retractable leash. We only use it now when it's on the beach or deserted walking trails where I know we will run into very few other individuals and dogs. I'm generally not a fan of those who use them to walk their dog everyday - sorry.
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:32 PM

In Winnipeg the law is that a leash can be 20 feet, BUT you have to shorten it to 6 feet when a person or animal is closer than 20 feet.

Flexis are the debbil, IMO. Had a roommate who was taken out on her bike on a path by a doofus owner who let their dog bolt in front of her, and wrap the lead around her front tire. I have a dog that is nervous around other dogs, and more often than not, the owners of dogs on flexis let them charge her, under the guise of "let them meet!" Uh, no thanks.
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansel View Post
In Winnipeg the law is that a leash can be 20 feet, BUT you have to shorten it to 6 feet when a person or animal is closer than 20 feet.

That to me is reasonable.It is my feeling that there will be idiots,doofus,irresponsible people one runs into in all aspects of life and in anything you do.( living is hazardous to your life)IMO it is not the length of the leash that is the problem,but the person holding the handle.There will be idiots ,doofus and irresponsible people holding onto 6' leashes too.