Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Exclamation Cat stressing herself out so bad she's vomiting

I have a 15 year old cat who has been the queen of the castle since she was 2 months old. She's always had some behavioral issues that come and go as far as not using the litter box but i can usually resolve those pretty easily. She's just so sensitive to everything and freaks out over the smallest change. I took her to the vet about 6 months ago because she was urinating outside her box and having problems keeping her food down. At her age, i'm starting to worry more and more about her health so we ran some blood tests to make sure and the vet actually couldn't believe how healthy she is for her age. Since then, I've been able to get her using her litter box again but about once every month and a half or so she gets in these fits where she vomits about once a day for about a week and then she's fine. When she does this her attitude changes. She's still just as active but she acts like she's mad at my husband and I. I'm 8 months pregnant and I think that she is freaking our because she knows the baby is coming. I know that once the baby comes this is only going to get worse. I'm at a complete loss at this point, any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much.
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Lucy01,

First of all, I want you to read this website for some tips about getting your cat used to the upcoming baby: Bringing Home Baby. There are also CDs of baby sounds that you can buy to desensitize your cat to them beforehand, since a crying baby can be very stressful on cats (sounds remarkably like a cat in distress): http://www.preparingfido.com/

The other thing you might want to look into is a Feliway room diffuser. Feliway is a synthetic version of the "happy" pheromones that cats leave when they rub their cheeks and chins on stuff. It can help to impart a sense of calm on stressed-out or aggressive cats. Available at PetSmart or online, depending on where you live.

Now, as for the vomiting issue: what does she eat? Is she vomiting up liquid or foam, hairballs, regurgitated food?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Thanks so much for link and info on introducing her to the baby!
She usually just vomits up her food. Long enough after she's eaten that it's liquid though. She doesn't have any problems with hairballs.
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

That really does sound like hairballs... and you may never see them, as I imagine they could be upsetting her stomach just while she is digesting them and never actually come up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My cat does this too, but ends up being a furball. As for testing, did the vet do a unrinalysis to check her kidney function along with the blood work?

As for knowing about a baby on its way, don't think a cat can know that, but will detect changes in your behavior and schedule.

If your cat is so sensitive to changes, I would definitely follow Sugarcatmom's advice on preparing for the arrival of your baby. I had two cats when I had my baby and did not have to do anything, they just ignored her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Swift Tribe

i have two cats that ralf when they get stressed. lucky you that its only once a day for a week!!! we get several times for a few days twice a month, one is always right before my period, go figure LOL!!

im sure your cat knows you are pregnant, mine did... they also got really stressed out at my 8month mark and even more so that week before i delivered. my vet suggested one of those antacids like pepcid or something. maybe talk to your vet about that???

to say though, they are very patient with the new "baby" in the house and all of his antics although it took one a little longer to warm up and a few big scratching scares before he calmed down.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Great Book to Check Out...

I would recommend this book... Cat Secrets Revealed: Solving Cat Behavior Problems...