Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's hard work growing that fast! They need to rest a lot... Rocks just don't look comfy, though...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Growing and changing quickly...If I had a guess based on these pictures we would have 2 girls and 1 boy, BUT the smallest is also the the last hatched so things could change very quickly!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Holy catz are they getting BIG!! Obviously the mark of good parenting.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG Winston,what fantastic pics,they are certainly growing,thank's to good parenting
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

HELLO WORLD !

Thursday June 2, 2011 - Lead Monitor Audrey Gamble reports: With help from climbers Chris Phinney and John Millar - the latter having to fend off an even more aggressive than last year Madame X (image at left) - today the three chicks were collected from the ledge and brought into the Sheraton, then weighed, gendered, banded and named.

Everyone, meet Pigott, a female weighing in at a hefty 914 grams (just over two pounds for our non-metric viewers), Thomson, a male at 650 grams, and Gore, also a male at 671 grams (both around a pound and a half). All three chicks were feisty but each behaved a bit differently during the banding and photo session. The image at left shows one of the chicks just after being returned to the ledge.

Gore's name comes from that given in 1816 to the odd triangular piece of land running from Mary Street to James Street South enclosed by the north and south sides of King Street East. When George Hamilton planned his town grid, he found himself with this odd parcel of property formed by the intersection of planned streets and an aboriginal trail that ran at an angle to the grid. The parcel was nicknamed �the gore� because it resembled a wedge-shaped piece of cloth used to adjust the form and size of a garment. A gathering place ever since, it is the site of several of the city's best known monuments, including the famous fountain.

The Pigott Building, the first steel-skeleton skyscraper in Hamilton and one of the first in Canada, was constructed in 1929 at a cost of $1,000,000. Named after the prominent Hamilton family whose construction company erected it, the building served as office space for almost 70 years before being converted to condos in the late 1990s. It�s roof once housed searchlights which revolved every 30 seconds. It now hosts perambulating peregrines often carrying pigeons who would rather be elsewhere.

The Robert Thomson Building is situated in Jackson Square between the Sheraton Hotel and Stelco Tower. It was named in honour of Robert Thomson who was with the Standard Life Assurance Company for 50 years, retiring as an executive director. The dedication of this building recognizes Mr. Thomson�s long standing interest in, and contributions to, Hamilton. The roof of this building is a favourite haunt of the young peregrines.

More banding photos will be available on the Gallery page as soon as we can get them ready. Stay tuned! With at least one chick already seen on top of the ledge, the real fun is about to begin!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I suspect that's a much more strenuous banding session than any I've ever seen.

Glad they're all doing so well! Love how they give them city-related names with a little history behind them!

Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I saw it on the Hamilton news last night,mom was defending her chicks with everything she had,but I am glad everything worked out ok,hopefully mom has forgiven the banders
Old June 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Here are a couple of good camera shots of Surge the Daddy. He often doesnt get much credit but he is a great Dad! Madame X allows him to do alot of the incubating which is not always the norm! He is a great food provider and teacher to his babies.
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

He's a handsome Dude, too! I think it's so cool that they can keep track of both the parents and sometimes find where their offspring end up! It gives them so much information on a species in trouble!

Old June 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,he is just stunning,I know for sure now,that the birds I get here in thewinter are not Peregrin Falcons,but Hawks.
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG I am freaking out! they have been up and down on the ledge all day! they not stable enough on their feet yet to not fall! and they have too much down! they need to loose alot more feathers and grow alot more feathers too! its those darn boys! they are the lightest and always the first to want to fly!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oy! I don't like heights. Obviously doesn't bother them, however. How much longer do you figure before they're ready for flying?

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG Winston,I would freak out too,for sure....please,please don't fall boys
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

now, when it gets this far, I can't watch, have any ever fallen off the ledge??
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes one jumped and one fell a long time ago. Thats why we now start falcon watch earlier but this is very early...They have been up on the ledge again all morning!! Waiting for a callback to see if we start the watch early or not!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Can they do anything to prevent a fall?

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

No Hazel I am afraid not. Its a long way down thats for sure...This nest is ontop of the Sheraton Hotel and I am not sure how many floors there are! There is a rooftop before the street level but that wouldnt really help if they fell!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Here is a nail biter for ya!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy ***** ,it certainly is
Is not one of the parents around to keep them in check???
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG A HEADLESS FALCON!!!

They do some strange things! My favorite part of this stage in their lives is their pantaloons! they keep them for awhile!

Chico the parents are always there. Madame X loves to perch on the camera arm and watch her babies from above the nest. Surge is usually sitting on the Standard Life signage next door at about the same level as Madame X...he is a hop skip and a jump away!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Another fine example of bird yoga. Just doin' his mornin' stretches!

So what do Surge and Madame X do when they see babies near the edge? Do they seem at all nervous?

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel they dont seem too worried...We have seen them on the ledge and Mom will distract them with a snack!

It wont be long before they are trying to get them out of the nest too fly!

The females are usually the last to fledge cause they are too fat! and boy is Pigott FAT!! she is never gonna leave!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Careful! Yer gonna give her a complex....

Old June 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,that pic looks like a headless one legged Falcon,I am glad to read the parents are keeping a watchful eye
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Okay look at these little I mean BIG buggars?? All up on the ledge!!!

Oh its gonna be a fun season I can see it now! 2 boys to pick on one girl! and they do have fun!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They look more and more like falcons every day!

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Interesting pic! wonder what they are thinking?

1. Wow look at the big world out there!
2. Wow where is dinner?
3. Should we jump? no lets not!!!!!!!

Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I vote for #2!

Old June 10th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Winston,they are sooo cuteand I they will stay put
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Getting ready for the show!

Well they have been super busy today! getting ready for tonight's festivities! There is an annual bird watching meeting with a downtown tour! I suppose they know that they have an audiance!!

It wont be long before one of them attempts it!!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown