Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Bull Terriers

I am looking into some different breeds for my next dog. My last dog was a Pit Bull cross, and she was the best. My favourite traits about her were that she was incredibly loyal and attached to me, she barked only if there was something worth barking about (not very often at all), she was smart, easy to train, great with people and kids (not a guard dog at all). She was about 80-85 lbs, and I would not like to have a dog any bigger than that. She did have (fairly minor) dog aggression, and I really don't want to have to deal with that again. She really enjoyed agility, fetch, and frisbee and so did I! This would be important in another dog's traits.

Someone suggested a (colored) Bull Terrier. I admit I'm not too keen on their bulbous face with sticky up ears, but I think I could get used to it. They are kinda cute. I wouldn't mind either size - the standard (50-70 lbs) or a bigger miniature (25-35 lbs)

Anyway, if any of you have a Bull Terrier, or have spent some time around one please share your experiences with the breed. I have heard they are quite the clowns, and have a lot of personality. I would really like to hear some comparison traits to Pit Bulls. I just love Pit Bulls, and have a hard time thinking of anything else.

I tried searching on the site, but all I get is information on Pit Bull Terriers since the same words are used. Same with on www.petfinder.com how annoying. It shows on Pet Finder 573 Bull Terriers, but when I search I get the 14000 Pit Bull Terriers instead.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Myka; March 9th, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Investigative researcher

http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp4/bull...ll-terrier.htm

Have you seen this site? Looks like a place to start. If you google 'colored bull terriers' you might get a couple more.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Hey thanks lady who recommended the BTs to me!

I haven't seen that site yet. I was on the BT Club of Canada website, and I see they aren't organizing "rescues" anymore. I will check the USA Club site for "rescues".
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM
-

Myka if you google English Bull Terrier, all kinds of sites come up. That is their name not just Bull Terrier.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I have had a few in rescue and extensive research should be done if you want this breed.

I have met some wonderful bull terriers, and some very dog aggressive as well. I placed one 2 weeks ago to someone who is very savvy with the breed. He is smitten over the guy I sent, but these dogs are not for everyone.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Oh interesting, I haven't seen them called English Bull Terriers on any of the sites I have found yet (including breeders). That's weird.

BenMax, as I read more about the breed I have come across many references to dog aggression. I'm not too keen on that.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Oh interesting, I haven't seen them called English Bull Terriers on any of the sites I have found yet (including breeders). That's weird.

BenMax, as I read more about the breed I have come across many references to dog aggression. I'm not too keen on that.
They are great dogs really. I have had only 2 out of 6 that were well socialized with other dogs. The other 4 were somewhat dicey around other canines. I also would not mix this breed with felines.

The one I placed recently was an ambassader bull terrier. Excellent with dogs and even cats.

If you had a pittie before then you are at an advantage as there are similiar traits.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM

I guess I am worried about dog aggression because in the past I have apparently failed at preventing it. This is one trait that makes me want to adopt an adult dog because his personality traits are already laid out on the table. We don't have any cats, but we do have that darn Chihuahua which may as well be a cat by the way he acts/plays. We do have children under 5 in out immediate family though, and kid safe is of utmost importance. One of the reasons why I am considering a smaller breed (in my world haha) like BTs. I am of the age and time in my life where children could be a possibility in the fairly near future (albeit I don't actually have plans to have kids at any time), so that's a consideration as well.

BenMax, please contact me if you get any Bull Terriers that would be suitable for me (provided you would home as far away as I am!).

Last edited by Myka; March 9th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I guess I am worried about dog aggression because in the past I have apparently failed at preventing it. This is one trait that makes me want to adopt an adult dog because his personality traits are already laid out on the table. We don't have any cats, but we do have that darn Chihuahua which may as well be a cat by the way he acts/plays. We do have children under 5 in out immediate family though, and kid safe is of utmost importance. One of the reasons why I am considering a smaller breed (in my world haha) like BTs. I am of the age and time in my life where children could be a possibility in the fairly near future (albeit I don't actually have plans to have kids at any time), so that's a consideration as well.

BenMax, please contact me if you get any Bull Terriers that would be suitable for me (provided you would home as far away as I am!).
Others may disagree with me (which is fine) but I do not recommend this breed with a smaller breed and very young children. They are wonderful dogs but they do have low tolerance for silly behaviours from other dogs. Their corrections can be harsh especially for a small breed.

Also - this is one time I would not put an adult with children. Some of those in rescue are not well trained, under socialized and their needs were not met as youngsters. There are too many things to sort out with such a powerful breed when they are older. I always recommend breed savvy people for them.

But - I am all ears for others that have this breed or those that rescue them. I am certain I could learn more about them.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Hi BenMax, thatnks for your opinion. Now, just to give me an idea of your general view of the bully breeds, would you recommend other adult bully breeds into my lifestyle? Is it just the BT that you would not place in this scenario? Also, how do you become breed savvy without owning the breed? Or, what is your definition of breed savvy?

Of all the dogs I have found in shelters or homing organizations most are under socialized and untrained. I am open to buying a puppy or finding an adult. It doesn't matter much to me either way, as long as the dog is a good fit for me. The more time I spend at "rescues" and shelters the more I am discouraged to find an adult though (of any bully breed and most other breeds too).

Given my lifestyle, and the limited information you have, what are some breeds you would think would be a good match? Feel free to suggest non-bully breeds.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Myka I would not recommend a BT for you based on what you have said. They absolutely are wonderful dogs but yes do have a tendency to have dog aggression issues. It may not even be a simple case of proper socialization if you end up getting the dog as a pup.

I have taken care of quite a few bullies and even when they are generally ok with other dogs, have been raised and well socialized with them, can play with them just fine, be capable of handling some abusive behaviour from the other dogs, unfortunately EVERY single bully I have ever taken care of did end up getting into serious fights. It's the craziest thing, but it's like they have a switch and quite literally can go from fine and playing to full out merciless attack mode.

With some of the dogs I knew it would happen if they were playing and the play escalated. If the dog got over stimulated and over excited, by default it would just start a fight with who ever was playing with him. I know others that would come running across the field if they ever saw other dogs fighting or even just playing rough and being vocal, and just dive right into a full out fight with the playing dogs. And I am not talking about dogs that escaped from a back yard. I'm talking about loved and well trained dogs who's owners really did socialize them and did every thing by the book. These dogs could go for months without having any sort of an incident and could play with all sorts of dogs and had dog friends, you name it. When the conditions were right for them, they would just simply snap into a fight mode. They could then be separated, given a time out, and within minutes would be back at playing and licking the faces of the dogs as if nothing had happened.

If you already have a chihuahua, I absolutely would not take the chance. Poor little guy would not stand a chance if any thing ever did go wrong.

I absolutely love all of the bully breeds and they are indeed incredible dogs, very intelligent, very devoted to their families, and so full of love, but they are not for every one and not for every home.
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Choochi, when you say "bullies" are you referring to Bull Terriers or all bully breeds? Thanks for your opinion.

The Chihuahua did live with my APBT cross for a little under a year before she passed on in January. She did snap at him, but he was quick, and she wasn't very serious about it.
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Choochi, when you say "bullies" are you referring to Bull Terriers or all bully breeds? Thanks for your opinion.
The experiences I was referring to were with a couple of bull terriers, and a number of what would generally be referred to as pit bulls (Amercian Staffie type dogs).
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Investigative researcher

In my experience, bully breeds in general are more likely to have dog aggression issues. Just part of the original genetic makeup. Just as herding breeds really want to work and will create jobs you may not like if they have no work laid out for them.
If you really like the look, you have to carefully sort through dogs until you find the individual that will tolerate a hyper Chi, small kids, or whatever you bring to the table. For the most part, temperament and even strength of breed characteristics are an individual dog thing rather than a breed thing. Thus you can find Labradors that hate water and retrieving. Terriers that never dig. Anything is possible if you hunt carefully enough!
The key here is carefully--it is very easy to fall in love with a color or a shape or a loving demeanor and find out later the hidden issues.
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

These dogs are highly intelligent and were breed to be people friendly. The problem with these breeds is that they are intolerant of boisterous or bad behaviour of other dogs that be bully or not.

It is true however that you could have a puppy and there may be issues regardless...this goes for any breed or mixed breed. Unfortunately, these dogs have fallen victim to indiscriminant breeding practices that have absolutely ruined these dogs.

Also - to answer your question about being breed savvy...if you are asking questions if this breed is suitable for your lifestyle, then I would venture off to say that you are not (sorry not being mean or rude). Someone who is breed savvy know the breed well, what limitations they have, whether or not they are good with other breeds, have prey drives etc. Usually, bully breed owners understand that dog parks are probably out of the question, small dogs and small animals are also not going to be within the same family nucleous.

In saying this I want to let you know that not all bully breeds are terrible with small animals ....but as a rule, this should be avoided. I have had a few amazing pitties, amstaffs and bull terriers that were exceptional. So I am not lumping them all together.

Again - they are wonderful dogs, but due to having young children and a small dog I would not recommend this breed.

Shelters, rescues and pounds certainly do have these breeds and I can say that the vast majority of the adults and pups are just wonderful. Keep in mind that their history may not be fully known as some are abandoned, lost or just no longer wanted. Getting the truth out of people can be difficult due to their guilt....

I think the best recommendation that can be made is asking you about your lifestyle. Are you active? Do you like activities with your dog such as fly ball? Are you looking for a more relaxed dog? What are your living condiitions? What is your child like with animals? Your budget?

There are so many questions to ask but I think you know where I am going with this.
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
Myka I would not recommend a BT for you based on what you have said. They absolutely are wonderful dogs but yes do have a tendency to have dog aggression issues. It may not even be a simple case of proper socialization if you end up getting the dog as a pup.

I have taken care of quite a few bullies and even when they are generally ok with other dogs, have been raised and well socialized with them, can play with them just fine, be capable of handling some abusive behaviour from the other dogs, unfortunately EVERY single bully I have ever taken care of did end up getting into serious fights. It's the craziest thing, but it's like they have a switch and quite literally can go from fine and playing to full out merciless attack mode.

With some of the dogs I knew it would happen if they were playing and the play escalated. If the dog got over stimulated and over excited, by default it would just start a fight with who ever was playing with him. I know others that would come running across the field if they ever saw other dogs fighting or even just playing rough and being vocal, and just dive right into a full out fight with the playing dogs. And I am not talking about dogs that escaped from a back yard. I'm talking about loved and well trained dogs who's owners really did socialize them and did every thing by the book. These dogs could go for months without having any sort of an incident and could play with all sorts of dogs and had dog friends, you name it. When the conditions were right for them, they would just simply snap into a fight mode. They could then be separated, given a time out, and within minutes would be back at playing and licking the faces of the dogs as if nothing had happened.

If you already have a chihuahua, I absolutely would not take the chance. Poor little guy would not stand a chance if any thing ever did go wrong.

I absolutely love all of the bully breeds and they are indeed incredible dogs, very intelligent, very devoted to their families, and so full of love, but they are not for every one and not for every home.
"so full of love" very well put Choochi!!
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM

I find this frustrating. I had a bully breed in my life for 11 years, and she was such a wonderful dog that the next one will have very, very big paws to fill! She was absolutely wonderful with kids of any age, and people in general. Not trustworthy with any animals, but would tolerate them. I wish I could just have her back, but you guys would describe her as not being particularly suitable for me!

There really are few breeds that I like. I'm not the type of person that "loves all dogs", in fact I don't usually enjoy the company of other peoples' dogs. The majority that I do like are within the bully breeds. Maybe I will make a new thread asking for breed suggestions.

As far as being breed savvy, I assume that Bull Terriers are much like the rest of the bully breeds, but I have never even seen a Bull Terrier in person. I wouldn't describe myself as being any breed savvy, not even APBTs, and I owned one for 11 years. I lucked out with her, as there was very little consideration put into buying her. However, I was very committed to her, and spent a lot of time training her, socializing her, taking her to agility classes, etc. She was a huge part of my life, and my life for the most part revolved around her. I know I can't replace her, and I'm not trying to, but she has become my dog standard, and I would like a dog that is somewhat similar to her. Actually funny enough, Double RR viewed the litter with me, and convinced me which one to pick!

Last edited by Myka; March 9th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the above posted.

I haven't owned a BT, but I did a ton of research when I considered getting one and they definitely tend to have dog aggression issues. Some of them can be goofy clowns with other dogs and others can be fairly serious and take offense to another dogs play. Also some of them may be great for the first couple of years and then when they hit full maturity start to exhibit dog aggression.
Other thing is these dogs tend to be VERY powerful for their size, much like pit bulls. They could hurt a smaller dog without even realizing it.

Have you considered a french bulldog? They look like other bully dogs but they're much smaller and more easily manageable. Some of them can exhibit dog aggression too, but overall I've known quite a few owners and they all kept them with other smaller dogs with no issues. They also tend to be a bit more laid back than other bully breeds and while they may take chase to a cat the cat can fend them off more easily than something like a BT.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:40 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
I find this frustrating. I had a bully breed in my life for 11 years, and she was such a wonderful dog that the next one will have very, very big paws to fill! She was absolutely wonderful with kids of any age, and people in general. Not trustworthy with any animals, but would tolerate them. I wish I could just have her back, but you guys would describe her as not being particularly suitable for me!
I think the point you might be missing is while I'm sure you were a wonderful and devoted mom to Myka, you did not have Peewee then. Things have changed and now you must include him, his character both good and bad prior to making your decision on whatever breed you chose and that could very well mean not a bully breed. I too consider rip Mist to be my furever soul dog ... none will ever replace her EVER but it would be unfair of me to even think that another could fill her paws - you cannot compare, if you do it will be a heartbreak for all

Quote:
There really are few breeds that I like. I'm not the type of person that "loves all dogs", in fact I don't usually enjoy the company of other peoples' dogs. The majority that I do like are within the bully breeds. Maybe I will make a new thread asking for breed suggestions.

As far as being breed savvy, I assume that Bull Terriers are much like the rest of the bully breeds, but I have never even seen a Bull Terrier in person. I wouldn't describe myself as being any breed savvy, not even APBTs, and I owned one for 11 years. I lucked out with her, as there was very little consideration put into buying her. However, I was very committed to her, and spent a lot of time training her, socializing her, taking her to agility classes, etc. She was a huge part of my life, and my life for the most part revolved around her. I know I can't replace her, and I'm not trying to, but she has become my dog standard, and I would like a dog that is somewhat similar to her. Actually funny enough, Double RR viewed the litter with me, and convinced me which one to pick!
I believe Myka if you put as much committment to your wants and PW's needs as you obviously had done with Myka you will succeed
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I lived next door to two female Staffordshire bull terriers, and my 12 year old daughter dog sat all the time for them. They were lovely social and very kid friendly dogs.
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

our trainer has 4 rescue ones that visit nursing homes...thats not what they are saying, we know they are wonderfully people friendly.....
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
our trainer has 4 rescue ones that visit nursing homes...thats not what they are saying, we know they are wonderfully people friendly.....
being people friendly and dog aggressive are two completely separate issues. No one so far had implied that the bullies are people aggressive, quite the opposite in fact.
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Myka, you mentioned your last dog was a pit cross, not the same as a pure pit. Some of her pit traits may have been easily diluted by what ever the other dog in the mix was, so I don't think it is necessarily fair for you to make assumptions about what pits are like based on your experience with a pit mix.

There are tons of dogs that would match your criteria of having that pit like personality (the good bits at least) that you are looking for and be a large dog. I totally would recommend you look into Petfinder.com, there are tons of dogs out there in need of a home that could provide you with the same amount of love and devotion your last dog did.

I know it can be hard to imagine "replacing" a great dog, but when your dog experience has been so limited I can completely see how you would think this would be a hopeless endeavour and are trying to find what would in your mind as closely as possible resemble your last dog. Trust me, you will find another great dog. I have taken care of hundreds of dogs and can tell you that there are LOTS of those "one of kind" dogs out there. There really are. You just have to look.

If I were you I really wouldn't get so hang up on the breed, but focus more on specific criteria of what you would and wouldn't want in your new dog. Size, energy level, obviously must be good with kids and dogs, grooming requirements, etc...
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
being people friendly and dog aggressive are two completely separate issues. No one so far had implied that the bullies are people aggressive, quite the opposite in fact.
I know this and I was agreeing with everyone...its small unpredictable dogs that would worry me.
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If I were you I really wouldn't get so hang up on the breed, but focus more on specific criteria of what you would and wouldn't want in your new dog. Size, energy level, obviously must be good with kids and dogs, grooming requirements, etc...
This is excellent advice.

To the OP: I lost my wonder rottie boy almost 3 years ago. I am in rescue so I wanted to come across that same rottie as my Ben was...it never happened as there is no other like him. Believe it or not, I ended up keeping a min pin. Ben weighed 130lbs...Julia is 5lbs. Talk about a difference. But - Julia 'spoke' to me. She is nothing like Ben at all....but she is Julia!
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM

I just saw this thread and was wondering if anyone knows if Bull Terriers are covered under the Ontario ban. It is very difficult to tell with how vaguely the ban is worded, so I am curious if anyone has had any issues of these dogs and ban. I ask because there is an older gentleman with a beautiful brown and white girl in my condo building. We greet them at every opportunity as my boys adore her, so some people have asked us about her. I am concerned that the man might be given a hard time by some of the neighbours about her and try to deflect anyone's concern whenever we get the chance. She is nine years-old, so she would be grand-fathered in, and the owner is extremely good with her. She is beyond gentle with my dogs, even when they are misbehaving, she behaves absolutely perfectly.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Bull Terriers are not within the ban. They are 'accepted' in Ontario. For now they are safe.
Old March 28th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi, while people are saying that Bull Terriers are people friendly dogs, they still do sometimes bite. My brother(former Secretary and President of the BT Club here) had a beautiful male that gew up with his kids. His daughter Traci had a friend, also named Traci, staying with her and she went outside, not realising the BT was loose. It bit her, also bit my niece when she tried to get it off her friend, so on the light side, apparently it was quite funny in the Emergency Dept as when they called for Traci, both girls stood up, and when they said we want the Traci with the dog bite, both girls said "That's me". LOL. This dog also crippled himself when a cat came into the yard and hid from the dog under a caravan parked on the concrete driveway. The dog scratched at the concrete and wore his claws right down, so determined was he to kill that cat. No-one was home to stop him unfortunately. I recall that my brother was not happy about having to carry this big heavy dog in and out to toilet. Look I LOVE them, such noble looking dogs, but folks are right, Myka, saying they are not right for everyone. You wouldn't want one deciding your littlie looked like a cat.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Maybe this tool will help you http://www1.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

You can fill in the questions and it will suggest breeds that will suit your lifestyle.

Sometimes we luck out and get a dog that is laid back and easy going, and they are dream dogs - regardless of their breed. However, I find that most dogs are, on a lot of levels; slaves to their genetics and instincts. When you have a breed of dog that was initially created for fighting, their propensity to be aggressive could be greater than that of a golden retriever. The problem lies in the fact that a lot of people buy dogs because they like their looks rather than function, and when the dog acts true to its breed, the owner blames the dog, rather than their own actions; this is why so bully breeds have such a bad rap.

If you do choose to get this breed, you will have to consider the concessions you will have to make in your life. I would not leave this dog along with my smaller dog un-supervised, same with children. The children must have a very strict understanding and respect for the dog; they can't touch or bother the dog while sleeping, eating etc. These are all obviously applicable to every dog; however, the outcomes could be very disastrous if the rules are not followed with bull breeds.

Myself I am a true lover of Bully breeds. I love them and admire their love and loyalty. I have a pit-bull mix myself and I have to be much more diligent with her around other dogs because she doesn’t tolerate them as well as my Lab/Rottie mix, despite her being a complete love-bug to every person that walks in our door.

Good luck in your search and I hope you make the choice that is right for you and for your future doggie!

Last edited by .unknown.; April 13th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The dog scratched at the concrete and wore his claws right down, so determined was he to kill that cat. No-one was home to stop him unfortunately. I recall that my brother was not happy about having to carry this big heavy dog in and out to toilet.
Bull terriers are known to be very persistent and not give up easily. That's why they can be hard to train, they can be VERY stubborn. They also tend to have a high pain tolerance, which would explain how he could wear he paws down like that. That's actually one reason they tell you to get bull terriers regular checkups and watch them very closely, because when they get ill or injured they don't tend to show it.