Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

lindapalm, amazing how aggressive the sheltie can be, isn't it? I mean some won't back off, even when it would be wiser to. Unfortunate that you had the hassle with your pair. Pity the BC was such a bully. I've actually known of a speyed cattle dog that killed a new pup the owner got. Tragic really. Poor baby.
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

c1chelle, I hope all this talk of other breeds, other times, and untimely deaths is not going to make you despair of your two. Although some individuals in any breed can display aggression (either toward dogs or people) there is no reason at this point to believe that your two will be anything other than best buds.

I would suggest that you train the dogs together, but also give them each individual one-on-one training time with you so that they look to you (not each other) for leadership. The better you bond with each individually, the more control you'll have over their behavior. If something comes up that you don't feel comfortable handling on your own, you can always seek out the help of a professional behaviorist. Take it one day at a time, keep an eye on their body language, and above all else enjoy your new companions and don't worry overly much about a bad outcome.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
c1chelle, I hope all this talk of other breeds, other times, and untimely deaths is not going to make you despair of your two. Although some individuals in any breed can display aggression (either toward dogs or people) there is no reason at this point to believe that your two will be anything other than best buds.

I would suggest that you train the dogs together, but also give them each individual one-on-one training time with you so that they look to you (not each other) for leadership. The better you bond with each individually, the more control you'll have over their behavior. If something comes up that you don't feel comfortable handling on your own, you can always seek out the help of a professional behaviorist. Take it one day at a time, keep an eye on their body language, and above all else enjoy your new companions and don't worry overly much about a bad outcome.

Very well said hazel!!! One would almost think you know a thing or two about puppers.
Good heavens, the stories I have been reading in this thread would turn most people away from having any dog. Vicious dogs like that would most definitely be put down pretty quick in this area of the world.
I have had at different times of my life a few young female dogs. They all lived together peacefully. IF there were any issues then they were corrected. They were never allowed to get to the point where they could rip another dog apart. We as owners need to learn to control the situation, not let the dogs control it. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I have never raised two pups together and can't speak to the concerns regarding aggression, but I do have some input on another point.

My male was one when we brought our female (also one) into the house. They bonded instantly and have been inseperable ever since. It is entirely likely that your females will become bonded strongly as well and the problem becomes that they start to look toward each other for all their socialization needs. We realized too late that because our rescued female had aggression issues, we got caught up with her and stopped taking our boy to the dog park etc. It's taken a tonne of effort ever since to re-socialize him after realuzing that he had become less than friendly with other dogs and started to look to his sister to meet all his needs. So with the hope your girls bond well it doesn't mean it's 100% a walk in the park.

Other point: Spaying will save you major headaches and reduce the chances of dominance issues. That may have already been said and seems pretty obvious but I think it's really important.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Goldfields, our sheltie was very small (I picked the runt of the litter) but she would take no crap. She would often try to get the BC bone by walking around her in circles, growling. I had to feed both of them on separate sides of the room just to keep peace. She was half the size of the other one, but didn't care. She was a very neurotic dog with the strangest habits I've ever seen in a dog, but we loved her a lot.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds right, I can picture that. Here they call that 'tiger temperament'. My alpha bitch made us laugh. She had it and if we didn't walk fast enough when going out to exercise the dogs she'd be behind us nipping our heels. She was capable of putting every dog in their place. Funniest thing I have seen though was when I'd reared two litters, keeping two dog pups from one, while the other 'litter'(?) only comprised of a single pup, a gold bitch we named Sugar. I split the 3 pups up at feed times and for some reason Toby just would not eat. We sometimes had to put him on the grooming table and hand feed him, slowly because he preferred watching TV to eating. Anyway, one day for some reason I had Silk, Sugar's mum, in with her at feed time and she let the cat out of the bag by giving a very quiet growl. Then I watched them closely and Sugar was not making a sound but was giving Toby the evil eye, daring him to touch his food. The very second that Toby knew that I knew what was happening, he started eating really well which I must admit surprised me at the time. Like, is that all you wanted, Toby, for me to tick her off? He's a dear little dog.
I love the shelties, Silk and Sugar in particular, have some very amusing habits, but Sugar is strange, she can bark and growl of course, but at feed time when the rest are in their usual feeding frenzy, barking so much we can't talk to each other, she never makes a sound. She puts herself in her spot for feeding and just waits silently. How I wish they were all like her.
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Goldfields -

B is a very happy go-lucky, clown In fact, I have heard that most boxers really never "mature", they spend most of their life acting like pups and I can believe it!

B doesn't fight very often, but she has been known to. I think in her previous home she may have fought quite often with the owner's other dog and was very beaten up and neglected when I got her. I enrolled with her in obedience classes ASAP and started enforcing NILF, and she has come a long, long way from when I 1st got her. However once in awhile she likes to pick a fight with another dog whether its a male, female, smaller than her, bigger than her etc. I have been working on appropriate ways to break up a dog fight and it has helped alot.

99% of the time though she is just a dorky, goofy, clown!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Goldfields, we've had a lot of dogs, but NEVER one as strange or as smart as a sheltie. I could write a book about the weird habits she had. She was so smart it could actually be scary at times.
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Lindapalm, why don't we start a thread somewhere on shelties, mine have some funny habits too and at least we can give each other a good laugh.

Cassiek, I learnt all sorts of interesting things about Boxers just through mentioning them to a Judge friend the other day. She said here the Judges are told by the Clubs to severely penalise, i.e. send from the ring, any Boxer that shows any behaviour that leads them to think it would not be a great family pet. Rottie people want that also. Anyway, when I said I was surprised that they were guard dogs she explained how that face lets them grab hold and hang on, and be able to breathe still. I asked would she go into a yard with a Boxer and she said only if the owner was there. It sort of shattered my vision of them as dogs that are everyone's friends. I like a dog that guards, we need that here having so few neighbors now to call on for help, but Boxers might just be too exuberant for me. Love them though, and what a shame yours got messed up by her previous owners. Poor girl. Actually, some of the smaller Boxer bitches I've seen around shows would be okay, they are so feminine, with beautiful faces.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Goldfields, if I told all the weird things our sheltie did, nobody would ever get one. We didn't know whether to scream or laugh at some of the strange things she did, but we wish she was still here to do them. Have you ever had a sheltie that walked on the whole bottom joint of their back feet instead of just on the pads.? Ours did, and she had bad callouses and towards the joint and it had to hurt. We were told that this is fairly common in shelties, is that true?
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Lindapalm, why don't we start a thread somewhere on shelties, mine have some funny habits too and at least we can give each other a good laugh.
Yeah...would you guys get a room or something!
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Goldfields,

Before I adopted Brynn, I had also read about their strong lineage as guard dogs, but I have to say Brynn fails terribly in that area, haha! She never questions anyone entering the house or the yard and instead runs up to them and greets them with a wide grin on her face and her butt wagging! I actually was looking for a dog who would be a bit weary of strangers, but that is not her at all. However, my dad always reminds me that should I ever be in trouble, Brynn would come to my side. I'm sure any of my dogs would though if need be!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama