Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Hi there,

I'm looking for some information from anyone who can help me. As some of you know, I am dogless. I have so much love to give and no dog to give it to

But that will be changing soon....

This coming spring we will getting a dog!! We must wait til the spring comes so that we can properly prepare for our new dog.

As much as I want to adopt from the local human society, my DH would rather get a puppy from a breeder that will fit his hunter hobbies. (He promised that our next dog can be a rescue).

I've never, ever imagined getting a dog from a breeder before. I've always wanted to rescue a dog from the local shelter (it's been a life long desire....ever since Monty came into my life). But I guess that dream will be put on hold for now.

Anyways, we have been discussing and researching breeds and have decided to get a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. This breed will fit our active lifestyles and DH will have the hunting dog he's always wanted.

Can anyone give me some information about this breed?

Also, does anyone have a breeder (within PEI, NS or NB) that they would recommend? I have three breeders that I am in contact with now.

Thanks for any info!!!!!
Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Try not to feel badly about purchasing a puppy. As long as you do a lot of research and find a responsible, ETHICAL breeder then that is a good thing. And it's awesome that you want to get into rescue after that. I'm 100% for adopting dogs now, but I am also very glad I got the experience of raising Chase from a puppy. I wouldn't change that, but will keep rescuing in future.

It sounds like a Toller would be a wonderful fit in your household. Absolutely lovely dogs.

When looking at breeders I would want to be sure I would be able to meet both parents, that the puppies will be in the house and have lots of contact with people, that the breeder is feeding a good-quality diet to the parent(s) and pups when weaned, that they do not leave Mom for at least eight weeks, and that the breeder can provide you with proof of health testing/screening for genetic ilnesses. Good breeders may breed more than one breed, but i would suggest if there are more than two or three types of dogs then consider looking elsewhere. Also ask how often the dogs are bred to ensure the breeder is not exhausting the bitches. They should love their dogs, not view them as puppy machines (okay that one is pretty obvious!).

Also very good signs: the breeder is involved with a rescue group, they request that you sign a spay/neuter contract, and that if for any reason you can't keep the dog they want it returned to them and not left at a shelter (I know you would not do this - it is just a sign of a good breeder to ask this of people).
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM
owned by Tucker

I know a family that has one beautiful dog but did have problems with its hips so make sure they are hip checked I believe this is a issue with the breed? I was looking at getting one before I got the dog I have now
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM

They are the most sweet, lovable dogs!

I had an acquaintance who had a boy Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, and he was the dearest boy ever, what a sweetheart. The family also had bunny rabbits, which he never touched or harmed in any way--he would just watch them hop around the living room! Funnily enough, he didn't like the water , and when the extended family got together at the cottage, he would watch his doggy cousins jump in the lake, and bark from the shore, wagging his tail madly.

He did have arthritis problems in his back. I think alot of retrievers are prone to this.