Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Winston and diarrea problem

Hey All Winston has had the runs for approximately 2 weeks. I have tried pumpkin, yogurt, rice, less food, no food, etc and have had no success really. We went to the vet with a sample and he ran it through and it came back normal. Winston appeared fine to the vet. He has not been acting any different either. Still eating, drinking etc.

The vet prescribed Loperamide (which is immodium) each time the stool is soft and also Florentero (restores a regular and efficent intestinal bacterial flora) 2 times per day.

Winston has now taken 6 of the Loperamide and there is zero improvement with his stools. I am also giving him some yogurt.

I am wondering if the yogurt will make his stool loose? I am also worried that I have given him 6 pills already and no improvement to the texture of the stool, the last thing I want to do is make him constipated?

He just had a bowel movement and it was not a pleasant! my poor boy. Whats worrying me is that he came in the house with his back end kinda hunched downward as if he needed to poop and his tail is sticking out straight not hanging down. I tried to have a look at his bum but he wont have any part of it. He is laying down now and he appears fine. Maybe the poop hurt his bum and thats why the tail was sticking out???

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

can Winston be eating something that he's allergic to? I Know that Tigger has zero tolerance to chicken and anytime she eats anything with chicken..she has very loose stool. I know humans can develop allergies at any time..can cats do that too?
Sorry I am no help.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you seen any blood or mucous in the stool, Winston?

The yogurt should not be giving him loose stools--it's a mild probiotic--unless he's allergic to something in it.

Could it be something in his food? Have you tried a novel protein?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I tried a food change and it didnt go over too well so we resorted back to the Orijen Fish Formula which he has been on a long time.

hazel the odd time there has been blood in it but I am pretty sure that it was from straining. No scooting either??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
-

Poor Winston.

1. Have you tried the boiled hamburger or chicken with rice diet to see if it stops?

2. Have you tried slippery elm bark?

3. Has Winston had a geriatric blood panel done?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Poor Winston.

1. Have you tried the boiled hamburger or chicken with rice diet to see if it stops?
I have just tried the rice Rainbow and it did nothing for him. I thought it would biond him up ??

2. Have you tried slippery elm bark?
No I havent used this. Perhaps I need to get some.

3. Has Winston had a geriatric blood panel done?
No blood panel done recently. Just the poop sample that came up normal.

I am not sure how thay would diagnose things like IBD or Cholitis? whether its stool or blood sample
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
You can call me DOG!

We get this yearly with Gryphon too. Could have been something Winston ate that was out of the norm.

Whenever Gryphon get's the squirts, I always relied on the boiled hamburger & rice formula. Boil 1 pound of hamburg and cook 1 cup of instant rice. Skim the fat off the boiled hamburg then mix the rice in--let cool overnight in a container in fridge. This formula makes enough for 3 & 1/2 days as follows;

1 day; 3/4 cup of mixture in morning then 3/4 cup at dinner. No regular kibble food.

2nd day; 3/4 cup of mixture in the morning then 1/2 cup + a little bit of normal kibble mixed in.

3rd day; reduce mixture (1/4 cup) and add more of his regular kibble for morning then switch back to normal kibble by 3rd day/evening feeding.

I also on the 1st day, substitute water with 2 Chicken boullion cubes mix with 1 cup hot water, stir then, add 1 cup of cold water + a couple of icecubes for fun. I do this for the morning feed and dinner feed on the 1st day but then switch back to regular water thereafter.

Poor little guy. Hope his tummy feels much better soon.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
-

I couldn't find the website I have stored away but did find this info from http://www.ehow.com/about_6310097_di...lder-dogs.html

Quote:
Causes

There are many causes for diarrhea in older dogs, and some are quite serious. The diarrhea can occur by itself, or with other symptoms, depending on the problem. Diarrhea is often a symptom of kidney disease, parasites, certain types of cancer, gastrointestinal disease and inflammatory bowel disease, states PetEducation.com.

Diagnosis

If your older dog has diarrhea, it is essential to take her to a veterinarian. Bring a sample of the dog's diarrhea with you, as well. The doctor will palpate and listen to the sounds of your dog's belly, and may give a rectal exam. In addition, the vet will run tests on your dog's stool to check for bacteria and parasites, and may perform blood tests or take radiographs of the abdomen. The blood tests check organ functions, while the radiographs can detect tumors, intestinal inflammation or foreign bodies.
Also here is the dosage for slippery elm bark ....

Quote:
Slippery elm is THE herbal choice for diarrhea. It soothes and protects the mucuous membranes and contains precious nutrients. The powdered form of slippery elm is available in many health food stores, and it is advisable to keep some in our first-aid kit as it comes in handy for diarrhea treatment.

To prepare slippery elm herbal remedy:
mix one teaspoon of slippery elm powder with one cup of cold water;
bring to a boil and stir; bring the heat down and let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.

To use the remedy, feed 4 times a day:
one teaspoon to small dogs
one to two tablespoons to medium dogs
3 to 4 tablespoons to large dogs
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you so much Rainbow I will get reading!

This morning was no better and he has had 8 Immodium now. I called the vet this morning forst thing but am still waiting for a call back. If its anything like the last time I asked a question it took a week for them to reply?? I am just worried that he will end up really constipated from the pills???
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I'm sorry to hear that Winston isn't feeling well

could it be from the spring season/ pollen??

I hope you find something that works and get to the root of it.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If they haven't worked yet, Winston, likely they won't. It shouldn't just suddenly catch up to him and stop him up. But I'd be concerned that it's not working, yet! Immodium usually works pretty quickly.

I can't remember if you've tried pumpkin?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Half Way To Crazy

oh wait what about banana.. it is suppose to bind you,

when Arch was a pup and he had the runs I was told to give him banana
I tried it and it worked
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

nvm...I see you mentioned pumpkin up at the top