Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old December 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm praying for you Cayenne
I am hoping to wake up to good news......................
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck Cayenne We're all praying that you get your kitty home soon. Please don't get discouraged if you don't catch him the first time. It may take a few days and lots of patience.
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM
-

I've been following your thread but haven't posted as you were getting information from the best people here. Cayenne is absolutely gorgeous and I hope that you catch him soon.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM

thank you thank you thank you

I set up the trap, checked in twice so far, but have not caught even a rabbit (not that I want to )
Will it help if I sprinkle a little bit of sardines oil around the trap?
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post

I set up the trap, checked in twice so far, but have not caught even a rabbit (not that I want to )
No, I would put the food inside the trap, the trick is to get them inside and not to have anything outside the trap to distract them. If there are sardines inside the trap, a cat will be able to smell it just as good as outside the trap.

How is the weather?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post

It would not hurt to have a line of oil from the can leading up to the trap. Not sprinkled around it. When I finally managed to trap my wiliest girl it was by taking the liquid from tuna and dripping a line up to the door or the trap. It will not be as effective in the winter because the scent would essentially "freeze" but every little bit helps. It has been my experience that I have caught more cats with tuna than sardines. Not many of my gang even like sardines.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
-

My cats won't eat sardines either although they do like the smell when I open a can. They much prefer tuna over anything.

Good luck Cayenne ......hope today is the day.
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM

day 1 (well, night 1) was no luck. I will try to do a trail of sardines oil tonight, it might help.

I also have a question: where is the best place to set up the trap? does it have to be it bushes, or it can be somewhere in the open (the area where my boy was seen last). I would not set it up in neighbor backyards, because all of their yards are enclosed, I did not find any open area (hole) that a cat might squeeze into. So I was wondering should I set up the trap on a pathwalk that leads to a ravine or should it be some bushes and trees area in the ravine itself?
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,I put mine in my frontyard,between 2 bushes and covered it with a blanket,except for the opening.
A lost cat,is more likely to stay out of the open spaces,but you never know.

Where do you keep the trap,is it where he was spotted,or at your house??
Is the neighbor-lady helping you??
I hope it was your cat they saw

I would think,if someone is feeding him or has him in their house,$1.000 reward would be an incentive for them to call you,but maybe they have not seen the poster....Cayenneto you and good luck
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Where do you keep the trap,is it where he was spotted,or at your house??
I put the trap where he was spotted, not near my house. Even though the trap is set up in a ravine (park), it is still quite away from my house.

Quote:
Is the neighbor-lady helping you??
No, my boy was spotted near an old fellow house, and the guy is not in the mood of helping. The person who called, lives just couple of houses away from that old fellow, but his backyard is completely enclosed, there is not entrance point for a cat. So, I set it up in the bushes near the place my cat was seen. I just wonder if it would be better to set up the trap in exact location (which is a pathwalk), but it has some small bushes, not enough for coverage though

Quote:
I would think,if someone is feeding him or has him in their house,$1.000 reward would be an incentive for them to call you,but maybe they have not seen the poster....
Well, I just hope that that is the case. I would imagine that it would be pretty good Christmas present for someone...For me, it would be the best Christmas ever to get my "baby" back
It seems that many people saw my posters (I walk out at the evening, and talk to everyone I spot). There are people who call me also: some call me genuinely concerned, some just call with something like: " I have information about your cat. How much you gonna pay me?"
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,I hate to say this,but it's very likely someone will steal the trap,if it's in the open and not near your houseafter all,those traps are about $100.
Maybe you should leave it in your yard..
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Cayenne,I hate to say this,but it's very likely someone will steal the trap,if it's in the open and not near your houseafter all,those traps are about $100.
Maybe you should leave it in your yard..
I chained it to a tree.

My second day was not successful either. It is getting very cold during night, and snowing every day
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,you have no idea how much I wish he would come home for Christmas,I've never met you and him,but I can understand your pain

Please,please come home Cayenne
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
-

Praying for a happy ending.
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Four days straight and I have not had any success with the trap.

I am getting angry and frustrated - not the best mood for holidays
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
banned user

I understand your frustration....but you feel worse if you give up...and if you are anything like me you can't give up!
Sending prayers for a speedy return of Cayenne
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Cayenne,I can only imagine how difficult this must be for youBut we keep hoping your determination and love for your beautiful cat,will bring him home
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

please don't give up...is it possible that someone lets him in at night...maybe in a shed to give him some shelter from the cold??
hard to beleive that you have not caught anything?? usually you might get the wrong cat, but nothing
If he was spotted in the area, is he still there?
I wish you all the luck....my wish to you for Christmas day.....he'll be home!
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:57 AM

thank you guys, I am not gonna give up, I just start doubting that my baby is in the area...I mean, just one person saw my cat in the entire neighborhood? and nobody else?
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:07 AM

I also would like to get your opinion on the following:
As you know I plastered posters all over my area. I also went to put additional note "still missing" as I realized that people might think that I found my cat, but have not take down the posters. However, there is an area, where my posters are being constantly removed - I put up my 5th flyer there today. And even put "Please do not remove" on the poster.
And it is actually two spots - one is near the mail boxes (we have centralized mail boxes, not like mail box at each house), and then there is another spot (close to the first one) on a bus stop.
What do you think it means?
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I know that there are certain areas where the city workers take down posters because you are not allowed to have them there. Maybe Canada Post does not allow posters too close to their boxes???
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I know that there are certain areas where the city workers take down posters because you are not allowed to have them there. Maybe Canada Post does not allow posters too close to their boxes???
well, I am not sure this is a case since all other posters (which I posted like that) are still at their places. I check them all the time.

Well, I did not set up the trap today. It is craaaazyeeee weather, snowing, windy, and really chilly.

I am still doing the same routine: checking websites, spca and animal control center, going out at night to see for footprints, bugging everybody in my neighborhood, calling vet clinics, checking my posters to make sure they are still up, etc.....but it seems like I am running in circle, or missing something...
I honestly have this weird feeling that I am overlooking something
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,I think if you have lost something or someone,in this case a very much loved kitty,you will always have that feeling

I don't know if you live in a house,but if you do.why not put the trap in your own yard,if he is out there,he would be moving around,unless someone is feeding him every day..
Still hoping for a Christmas Miracle
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM
banned user

I think if you have a bad feeling about where the signs are missing you should go to that area and canvass the homes...we did that once when we thought the same thing....hand them a personal flyer and at least you will have the area covered if the posters are in fact being taken down for a reason. Trust me, I know what you are thinking...the mind just never shuts down.
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=chico2;971369]
I don't know if you live in a house,but if you do.why not put the trap in your own yard,if he is out there,he would be moving around,unless someone is feeding him every day.. [QUOTE]

thanks chico, I did it...the first two days I was setting up the trap in the ravine, then I set it up on a pathwalk (almost in the front yard of a guy's house where my boy was seen last). Then, I put up trap in my backyard right near the missing fence, so it would be close to ravine. I was very upset when I did not even found a footprint near the cage. I know that all dogowners who walk with their dogs at night in that ravine, they check the area all the time... Most of their dogs played with Cayenne in summer.

I wish I can upload a video so you can see how much fun it is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
I think if you have a bad feeling about where the signs are missing you should go to that area and canvass the homes...we did that once when we thought the same thing....hand them a personal flyer and at least you will have the area covered if the posters are in fact being taken down for a reason. Trust me, I know what you are thinking...the mind just never shuts down.
that's a great idea!! I will go to those houses tonight and will spread the flyers. It also will give me an opportunity to talk - my boy always runs to my voice; he can be hiding, and my husband can search for him non-stop, but the moment I open the door and say :"I am home", Cayenne appears from nowhere, ready to go outside, play, eat, sleep on my lap or just follow me around awe, sweet memories.....
so...if I will talk to people, and 'my baby' is in fact in someone's house, he will run to the door.
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM

here are some pics taken with my phone
Attached Images

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Those are great pics of the pups playing with Cayenne. I too am praying for a Christmas miracle.
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

How long do you keep the trap set? An hour? Two? All day? If it is set back in a sheltered area you can leave it for the day and make sure you check it (not up close) frequently. You don't want to scare away the cat.
I really feel after this amount of time that someone has taken your kitty. Probably someone in the area where the posters are taken down. The person doesn't want anyone knowing the cat they have belongs to someone else.
Just a word of warning. If you do find the house where Cayenne is they will refuse to give him to you. You will most likely have to get the police involved. It may be a good idea to have your husband or a friend with you while checking door to door. That way if you find him one of you can phone the police if something happens. JMO of course.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with 14+,if someone has him,they obviously don't care about the reward-money,they want to keep him,because he's a very beautiful cat.
Love the pics,with the dogsI guess that means he is known to the neighborhood,not many cats go outside and play with dogs,I know mine never would..
That makes me think even more that someone has him...