Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Remembering Lukka

I was so cheezed off

Five days ago while walking Lukka we came upon a man with his dog (off leash). He had a beautiful King Shepherd that was every bit the size of Lukka and outweighed her somewhat. His dog spotted up in the park and came at us full speed from about 50ft away. Barking, growling and carrying on. His attempts to call his big boy off were to no avail.
Lukka is very protective when on leash out in the middle of nowhere in the wooded area's I hike her and she wouldn't go after a person or their dog that she see's in a distance but will not allow them to come up to me, this was a nasty scene unfolding. Lukka started rearing up on her hind legs, growling in return and pulling like a team of Clydesdales. I didn't dare let go of her because I was thinking that might be even worse than the pain in my hand trying to hold her back. The two dogs tussled until the shepherds owner caught up and could help me separate
them. No injuries to either dog but his was crying and absolutely screaming when Lukka had it pinned down. He told me that his dog has never been on the receiving end before and he was shocked to see how it cowered and cried. So off I went in the opposite direction from this clown and continued on my walk, with chest flutters that I still feel today The most amazing thing to me was when I eventually got back to my truck the guy was sitting on the grass with his dog off leash just a few feet away from where I was parked. We were just emerging from the woods and quite some distance away when his dog spotted us and bolted in our direction. The owner of the dog managed to tackle him before he got too far this time and I could hear him yelling at me, "Oh, sorry"
WHY WHY WHY do people let their dogs run of leash? By the sounds of it this has happened many times with this guy and his dog because he said it was about time another dog put his dog in its place WELL I DON'T WANT MY DOG TO BE THE ENFORCER, I PURPOSELY WALK IN DESERTED AREA'S TO BE ALONE WITH LUKKA.
This is my hand after five days of healing from where Lukkas leather leash dug into me as I was trying to prevent her from attacking that dog.