Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old August 31st, 2004, 08:00 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Exclamation Stop Pit Bull Ban in Ontario

The Attorney General for Ontario, Michael Bryant is trying to ban pit bulls,Am.Staffs and Bull Terriers in ALL of Ontario. If you don't want this to happen,please email or call him! The email is michael.bryant@jus.gov.on.ca
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:00 PM

And post these, wherever you live. Print them out and post them on cars, poles, community bulletin boards, in shopping malls, wherever flyers can be posted make sure they are seen.

Click on the PDF link to download a Printer-Friendly version:

http://www.babayaaga.com/images/bslposter_to_1.pdf

http://www.babayaaga.com/images/bslposter_to_2.pdf
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:20 AM

Fighting the Pit Bull ban

Does anyone know of any groups or organization that intends to fight this ban? I am outraged by the ignorance of many people, including this Ontario politician who is clearly using the pitbull issue as a way to gain popularity. I am also annoyed at the many ignorant people who are supporting his cause. Since this pitbull issue has resurfaced a couple of days ago, I have gotten many strange looks from people in my neighborhood, as well as a few remarks of how my dog "kills people." My dog would neevr hurt a fly! He is great with people, especially kids..and is the biggest baby! In fact, from my daily walks with him, I notice that it is usually the smaller dogs, like Jack Russel Terriers or Chihuahuas that are more hyper and problematic. Please...if anyone knows of any advocacy groups that would fight this, please let me know!
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

PA:
I too have been a victim of stupid people. Yesterday in my elevator I got on my with Briggs her tail wagging and she was panting a man from the floor above was already on the elevator, he pretty much tried to climb the wall to get away from her - this is NOT the first time that they've encountered each other, but the first time that the man had this reaction...
Another resident entered and we were talking about the issue and she just commented that I should watch the news at 6; a "gentleman" and his wife entered the elevator, he stopped and interrupted us by saying "what kinda dog is that?" I said "pit bull" like it was no big deal and started talking to the lady again. He starts yelling!!! "No. no, no!" He points at Briggs and says, "Those dogs are a MENACE, they should NOT be allowed in this building!" I smiled and just looked at him.
At this point I did not attempt to prove him wrong, in hind sight I should have, but I just was so surprised by the reaction. So, now at the ground floor the a-hole gets out and announces to everyone in the lobby! "Watch out, there's a pit bull in the elevator! Pit bull in the elevator!" There was like 5 or 6 people standing a waiting - nearly all of them have encountered Briggs at one time or another. They just stood there and stared at this IDIOT!!
So, he's blocking the door and won't let us out. The lady that I had been chatting with starts to get out, and "accidently" hits him with her cart... as we're walking away he is shouting to the other residents "That dog is dangerous, it's a menace and doesn't belong here!" Unfortunately I tend to be a little reserved sometimes when I am caught off guard so I just kept on my way - there's no reasoning to those jerks!
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:50 AM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Dog Legislation Council of Canada

The Dog Legislation Council of Canada fights Breed bans, they have a website. However, please email the Attorney General stating you are against the ban, because he said the majority of his emails are for the ban!His email is: michael.bryant@jus.gov.on.ca
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

REMEMBER---

Keep your letters free of emotion and based on facts that you can back up. No name calling. You don't want to come off sounding like a tree hugging freak. (Sorry, but it is true.)
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:38 PM

It's disgusting how powerful the media has become... and how they are permitted to weild that mighty sword to spread terror.

Had the news focused on the dog owner, rather than the dog itself, people might be a little less paranoid.

This is starting to sound exactly how people viewed Muslims just after 9/11.
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Lavender you are so right I emailed him a very direct and polite email stating the facts and not the fiction and suggested he need to speak with the cruelty investigators and animal care workers the people who are out there daily and know what they are talking about. I even suggest he tag along with them for a day and see how the laws protecting animals need to be updated and enforced.
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM

The NewVR is also running a poll today. The numbers so far are seriously pro-ban. Please log on to add your voices. Results will be aired tomorrow at 6:00. http://thenewvr.com/news/index.html

I watched the news broadcast today at 6:00. They were actually more neutral in their tone today. They interviewed the SPCA and spoke about some more "humane" alternatives (i.e. muzzling in public). The NewVR pointed out the muzzling by-law in Orillia and interviewed a young family with a Pitti and a Chi, showing them playing together, and showing their very young daughters feeding the Pitti cookies (who was a very good puppy and took the cookies with exceptional gentleness).
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Sammie,I am so sorry for your experience with ignorant people,it's beginning to sound like a modern day witch-hunt...and poor Briggs,I hope it does not effect her in any way,when people go hysterical just by the sight of her.
If you told people she's a Terrier,they probably would not even realize she's a Pittie
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:27 AM
Crusader

here's the Canada AM interview

In case you missed it.. Click here to view the video interview on Canada AM.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

There is a quiet positive full-page article by Antonia Zerbisias of the Toronto Star titled"Pit Bull owners on defensive"this morning.
I have no idea how to get it on here,but maybe someone else does
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Pit bull owners on defensive

ANTONIA ZERBISIAS

You'd think killer sharks were swimming in our streets, the way the media and some people are carrying on about pit bulls.

Meanwhile, responsible owners of thousands of sweet and gentle dogs are feeling the bite.

"Every time pit bull owners go out with their dogs, they face public relations disasters," explains Kristine Crawford, a Palo Alto search and rescue pro with three pits who also work with terminally ill children. (See http://www.forpitssake.org.)

Take Toronto's Darlene Reid.

She walks my American Eskimo Sydney with her powerful pits, George and Fred. I don't fear for Syd, who has "the boys" by their cut-off cojones. As for them and me, well, let's just say there's been licking.

But now, Reid is more afraid for her dogs than we should be of them. Last Sunday while walking George and Fred near their Riverdale home, Darlene and her daughter were assaulted by two men.

It's just the latest attack. Two years ago, while the dogs were tethered outside a Danforth café, a man beat them with a stick. Last summer, some guy stubbed out his smoke on George's back.

"It's terrifying, and it's terrorizing my daughter," Reid says.

In each instance, George and Freddy stayed calm. Why? Because, even though they've been drafted as fighters, pit bulls and their cousins, the American Staffordshire and Staffordshire bull terriers, have been bred to be gentle to humans. Their handlers had to be able to safely stay in the pits and stop fights.

Still, the myths persist.

On Monday, after last weekend's attack in Toronto, Ontario's attorney-general, Michael Bryant, said he was contemplating a ban on pit bulls, calling them "dangerous weapons."

Since then, the Star, The National Post and the Globe and Mail have all howled for the outlawing of the breed.

"Make their breeding, sale and ownership illegal," demanded the Globe, as if government can afford to monitor any breeders.

"Insist that they be neutered," the Globe added, as if shelters aren't already overrun with unwanted dogs of all breeds.

There's no solution for pit bulls, said the Globe, but the final one: "Wipe them out."

Do that, and the macho morons who get pit bulls — and mistreat them — would just move to bigger, truly aggressive dogs.

The sad fact is, any dog, given irresponsible breeding and ownership and the wrong environment, might go bad.

"I am much more afraid of a cocker spaniel than I ever am of a pit bull," says Mychelle Blake, an animal behaviourist and pit bull owner in Lancaster, Penn. (http://www.AllEarsDogs.com).

According to the American Temperament Test Society (http://www.atts.org), beagles, border collies and bloodhounds, to name just three much loved breeds, score worse than pits.

But pits have the bad luck of being the most popular breed in urban North America, mostly because of backyard breeders out for a quick buck.

"If you looked at the sheer number of these dogs, if they were really that dangerous there would be attacks every day," observes Blake.

She says that you can't trust statistics such as that cited in Tuesday's Star, which claim pit bulls account for "almost half of all dog attacks ... yet they make up less than 1 per cent of the canine population."

That's because pit bulls are not registered with the American Kennel Club. And backyard breeders don't keep books.

What's more, pit bulls are often misidentified. I thought I knew them until I played the "Find The Pit Bull Game" at http://www.rescueeverydog.org. It took me nine tries.

Besides, Rottweilers are overtaking pit bulls in the fatal attack statistics. Will they be banned too? And what about the dogs that top the list after Rotties?

"Banning the breed won't change a thing," insists Toronto dog trainer Kirk Barclay, a pit bull owner who echoes the views of the Canada Safety Council and many humane society and veterinarian groups. In fact, most breed-specific bans have proved not to be effective, and are starting to be repealed in the United States.

"It all has to do with ownership," says Barclay, who advocates education and licensing for owners. "I train people; I don't train dogs."

As Darlene says, "Look up the leash. See who is attached to it. Then judge the dog."
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Bottom line is everybody needs to email michael.bryant@jus.gov.on.ca You also need to sound articulate and educated, ranting and raving will do nothing for the cause. We want our opinions taken seriously you don't want to sound like one of the idiots who have trained these dogs to be vicious and aggressive. The point needs to be made that the breed is NOT people aggressive this is taught it is not in their genetic make-up. Also you need to make sure they realize by BSL they will push it pit fighting further underground and it is hard enough now to bust these people, this will make creulty investigators jobs harder and more dangerous.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I was reading this morning about the Kitchener BSL,in it it says anyone aquiering a Pit since april 1997 and has not removed it from the city will face a fine of up to $5.000,meaning???? You have a couple of choices,have the dog killed?sell your house and move? only to be faced with a ban in another city.....
I cannot even imagine the choices given,this is worse than I thought
I understood before,if you have a Pit you can keep it,only don't replace him if he dies,which is bad enough.But the Kitchener BSL-law is darn right inhumane
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess you can give the city a choice that you are not giving up your dog but if they would like to buy your house at a fair market value you will move. They will also need to cover the costs of your move. I don't think they should be able to make you get rid of a pet you have had no matter how long you have owned it. I am sure that they will try to do this to somebody who has the financial resources to take them to court and test this law. What they are proposing is totally unfair and should be challenged.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:33 PM

"I guess you can give the city a choice that you are not giving up your dog but if they would like to buy your house at a fair market value you will move"

BRILLIANT!!!

Considering Ontario, out-of-province. So, they'd also have to compensate you for lost wages as well, because you'll most likely have to leave your job.
Old September 12th, 2004, 04:03 AM

Ckco poll

In case anyone is interested, CKCO has an online poll about the ban.
http://www.ckco.ca/streettalk_answer.php
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Hi folks! As I've said, I received a form e-mail reply from Mr. Bryant. I've now replied to his reply. I listed several detailed questions about how the proposed breed ban will work. I also listed several alternate suggestions to an all-out breed ban. Let's see if I get another form e-mail in reply, or if he (or more realistically, his assistant) will actually reply to my point-form questions!
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

As I posted on a different thread, his legislation is going to bring in more breeds. It will not just be PBT, this he's already stated himself.
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

His problem seems to be with all big dogs. Sounds like if he has his way, the province will be for little yappers only.
Old September 14th, 2004, 02:22 PM

We seem to be more humane to rapist and murders

I am sitting at work reading these threads and my coworkers are wondering why I am blubbering like a baby. lol. I would like to know why us humans at least get a trial for crimes that we are accussed off. These poor dogs are just going to be put to down just cause??? I have had the privlege of sharing my home with a pittie cross and he is (he is my daughters dog) still a wonderful loving dog. I also own a Rottie and he gets along with all animals and humans and would trust him with anybody. I would like to send a email to this Mike Bryant but I wouldn't know were to begin. I also would like to know if he is a dog owner.
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Kitty Mum

Your frustration and concern is completely valid. I always feel the exact same way when I hear about these poor little darlings being murdered without the situation being looked into. Like why did they attack in the first place? Why is it that they only ever look at the one side and not the other? It is true that rapists and murderers get a better investigation then an animal. The problem with this situation is that humans, usually, plan their attacks....animals on the otherhand do not. Why can't these pets get a second chance? Order that they be muzzled and ensure that the situation never happens again. Then dig deeper...did the person instigate the attack? I realize that it is not fun being a victim of a "crazed" dog, but is killing them really necessary?
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
the province will be for little yappers only.
Sandi you have given me a much needed laugh!!
BTW Sandi did you hear a Cambridge ON petstore is selling designer RottiX's
Wheaton Terrier/ Rottie x's? Nice combo huh! Well over 500bux a pup I hear.

Anyway, it has also come to my attention that the Ministry is NOT reading any of the material they are supplied with at this time.

So all of the long letters you write aren't being read. So you may as well put it on a sticky note or post card and send in that you are against BSL/banning breeds.

Old September 14th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Well, he can send back another form e-mail, but I'll just keep hounding him for a personal reply. I have the time!

Wheaton Terrier/Rotti cross, huh? Sounds interesting...
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr
Your frustration and concern is completely valid. I always feel the exact same way when I hear about these poor little darlings being murdered without the situation being looked into. Like why did they attack in the first place? Why is it that they only ever look at the one side and not the other? It is true that rapists and murderers get a better investigation then an animal. The problem with this situation is that humans, usually, plan their attacks....animals on the otherhand do not. Why can't these pets get a second chance? Order that they be muzzled and ensure that the situation never happens again. Then dig deeper...did the person instigate the attack? I realize that it is not fun being a victim of a "crazed" dog, but is killing them really necessary?
Most dogs that attack people are not poor little darlings. They are powerful dogs that have usually had no training, no socialization, bad food and have been encourage to be as nasty as possible. Yes, putting them down is often the most responsible thing to do. Second chances are great, but I sure don't want my son to be the second victim.

Dogs are not people and should not be treated as such.

Having said that, people who own dogs that attack should be held responsible for what their dog has done. Period. And getting a misdemeanor ticket for letting their dog run loose is not being held accountable. If you dog bites someone then you should be looking at some jail time.
Old September 15th, 2004, 03:17 PM

A letter to the governor

They are going to destroy our dogs because of thousands of idiots described in your email. I've wrote a letter to the governor (hopefully it will be read).
We have to do something to avert the killing. See the letter below.

Dear Sir:

I am not a breeder. My family just owes an American Pit Bull Terrier for 6 years. We raised him and this dog has become a part of our family, our life. He awards us with incredible amount of devotion and love. He also loves other people even those who hate him for just being a pit bull terrier. He can lick a stranger to "death". He has never tried to bite anyone never killed an animal. I know a number of other conscientious, decent pit bull owners. They have never had a precedent of biting.

The American Pit-bull Terrier is a normal dog, no different from most of the other breeds. Moreover, these dogs inherently love people unless they are kept by irresponsible and/or criminal elements. This breed is now widely abused. I can assure you with confidence that almost all of the pit bull related incidents are caused by the dogs belonging to either dark elements in our society or irresponsible owners and teenagers who never train the dog and use it to enhance their image.

Even if a child is raised in a violent, criminal atmosphere, there is a good chance he/she will develop certain characteristics of this environment.

The people who own dogs that attack should be held responsible for what their dog has done.

Please enforce the legislation to control these individuals, and do not destroy the breed. Getting a misdemeanor ticket for letting their dog run loose will not work.

Breed ban is the easiest and the least efficient way to avert dog bites. This ban is going to be a reaction to the mass hysteria caused by the media-created stereotype, a kind of a witch hunt that has already had place in our society (e.g. all Russians are communists, etc.). It is quite obvious what will happen as a result of this ban. The same bad individuals will go underground to continue abuse of the American pit bull terrier and/or use another strong breed to raise it aggressive, utilize for fighting or just create a macho image. These individuals will get a Rottweiler, German shepherd, Doberman Pinscher, etc. What are we going to do about it? Are we going to ban another breed?

The knife, even a kitchen knife or a scalpel, can kill. But we do not ban the knife; we are after the criminal element that uses it.
The media never puts into light the bites inflicted by other dogs (there are quite a few of them) because they do not attract so much interest.

Besides, there is a tendency to call "pit bull' many of the biting dogs even if they belong to other breeds. It is rather profitable to make pit bull a monster so you can fill headlines (as it has once happened to the German shepherd).

American Pit Bull terrier is an excellent breed that inherently loves people unless human spoils a dog.

The fact is that any dog, given irresponsible breeding and ownership and the wrong environment, might go bad.
Old September 15th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

OHenry(hmmm choclate )
Very well written,I think this jerk Bryant though,has already made up his mind,seeing the"kitten eater"McGuinty and major Miller are completely on his side.
All likeminded responsible pit-owners have to somehow organize and cause a stink,together with other animal-lovers,or this law will pass,if it has not already.
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Angry Pit bull ban will be intoduced soon

The Ontario government pretends to listen to rational voices protecting the breed. But this deceitful government has probably made up their mind. The ban is going to be introduced before the end of the year, October the earliest.
Any idea how the pit bull and other reasonable pet owners can organize and protect the breed? How can we increase the public education to fight to stereotype?
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM

The only way you can stop a stereotype (and this goes for dogs as well as people) is if the breed being stereotyped stops acting that way!! Let's face it - as long as there are punks out there with Pitties on the end of a chain wearing studded leather collars, getting their dogs to chew the bejeesus out of tree limbs and park swings, the stereotype will live on. I know - it's not the dog's fault, but how do you stop these people? I sure as heck won't confront them about it!!