Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM

Any experts? Was this urine test for dehydration accurate?

My dog wasn't drinking enough (it seemed to me) so I enticed her with 16 oz of tuna-flavored at 4:PM.

Called the vet, and they said a test the next morning would not be affected by the forced fluids that long before.

I should have known I would not trust the results.

I should have waited so that I am sure the test was done on what she is drinking on her own.

They insist that the timing means she is drinking enough on her own. This doesn't make sense to me. Seems like being adequately hydrated the day before would have covered up if she was somewhat dehydrated before the flavored water.
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:38 AM

????????????????????????????
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The only expert who could answer that would be a vet IMO. Have you tried PMing Dr Lee? He is great at getting back to you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

A urine test is not really testing for dehydration - it's testing for ph levels, protein, glucose, ketones, bilirubin, blood, bacteria, red or white blood cells and crystals. The results of the test may tell a vet that the dog is suffering from conditions that are caused by chronic dehydration. In your other post you said that your dog pees quite a bit, yet doesn't drink much. I would suggest a more specialized urine test called an E.R.D. that specifically tests for indicators of kidney disease. This test can detect kidney issues much earlier than a normal urine test or bloodwork, since kidney problems don't normally show up in urine tests or bloodwork until the kidney has lost most of it's ability to function.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM

She doesn't pee a lot as in volume. She just likes to go sprinkle here and there 100 times to mark her territory, I guess.

On a short walk were she can't do that, she pees a normal amount.

I thought an indication of whether a dog is hydrating properly can be seen in the urine test. Color and other factors.

He said she is drinking enough based on her test but I've become paranoid.

It might have only showed fine because I enticed her to drink the day before.

She is drinking fine now. I just don't want to have another situation.

I guess I should have waited to do the test until a day had passed with no flavored water so I wouldn't be worried about the results.
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

One day of drinking more water than normal would not alter the test results as long as it was a sample from the first pee of the day. If you drink tons of water during the day, and then give a urine sample - it will be too diluted to get accurate readings.

Chronic dehydration will lead to kidney issues so if you are worried about that then I'd suggest the E.R.D. test.

You can judge whether a dog is hydrated by the color of their urine, but it also depends on how often they go pee among other things.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
One day of drinking more water than normal would not alter the test results as long as it was a sample from the first pee of the day. If you drink tons of water during the day, and then give a urine sample - it will be too diluted to get accurate readings.

Chronic dehydration will lead to kidney issues so if you are worried about that then I'd suggest the E.R.D. test.

You can judge whether a dog is hydrated by the color of their urine, but it also depends on how often they go pee among other things.
I think she is fine. I was just being perfectionist and paranoid.

I should be more upset the vet refused to take into account the FIRST urine test being dilute that she had had 15 oz that morning. No need for blood work and all this worry to begin with.