Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:01 AM

My official introduction and a qustion

I just wanted to say hi to everyone here and I am so glad I found an active forum for this. I orignally looked into feeding a BARF diet to a year old lab that I had raised for Leader Dogs for the Blind. He was "Career Changed" because they said he had Diabetes Insipidus. By the time I got him back from LD I was living in a small appartment that was completly carpeted with no yard and I was a college student with very little money and I was told that his condition would be very expensive to treat and hard to control. Thankfully I had a good friend of the family who really wanted one of the puppies we raised and they worked at a vet to boot so now Ruger lives happily with them. By they way, I did find out that it was not so difficult to treat or expensive in his case. Any way I has been years since I thought about a BARF diet and the lately a friend and I have been talking about dog food and all of the crap that is going on and now it seem that even the "good" food is no longer "safe" (Natural Balance is doing a voluntary recall on all of it's venison formula) and that neither of us can find a food that we are completly satisfied with as far as ingredents go. I am so fed up that I should do it myself. Atleast that way I have more knowlege about the quality of the ingredents that goes in to my pet's food. I plan on switch all of my kids over soon but I have to figure out where I am going to get my meat and bones form so I can ensure I have a fairly constant supply. I have 2 dogs, John Doe a 14 year old mountain cur, who acts like he is about 4 years old and still looks like a pup and Buddy who is the newest member of the family a pit bull/lab who came to us a few months ago from a friend just before he passed away. Buddy is about five and has allergies... to corn and possibly other grain. than I have 3 walking grabage disposals for cats Friday (13?), Simon (8) and Bucky(4).
Sorry for the Long intro. The question I had was about ginding food as I have read that it is easier to get the cats to eat if it is all ground up. Do you think that a good quality food processor could handle chicken and turkey bones or should I just get a grinder.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Learning fast

I believe scott has a grinder , TD uses one, and you WILL destroy your processor if you try it. Have a look down the list and there are a few threads about grinding. Also there's a list called lepsurig (or something like that) that list available places, also rawfeeding group on yahoo forums should be able to help.
Welcome by the way.
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

lol..my grinder is my pup lol.

If you can get away without grinding, please do. With cats, you can start out with ground meats & bone, but you don't have to. try putting a bunch of different meats on a plate, small peices, and spread them out. let the cat sniff em. see what they like.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM

I don't really want to have to grind the bones, but Friday, my old cat won't eat bones and the other two only chew the cartilage off the ends of bones. Buddy will eat anything you put in front of him so he's not a problem and John Doe will at least eat chicken wings if you hold them for him so that's a start. I just don't want to buy and grinder and end up not needing it because I am hoping to get the cats to eat bone since all of the animals LOVE raw meat. I'll try some young chicken necks maybe that'll be soft enough to get Friday to eat some bone.

Last edited by SoapDish; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yeah, not all bones must be consumed. Bones should only make up about 10-15% of the diet. Try and find some small cornish hens. Or whole fish.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938