Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM

Galvanized duct/metal any toxcicity in cats?

I''ve built a pretty big cat run for my 7 cats 9'x8'x30'+ in size. I wanted to make a bunch of tunnels and walk ways using 12' PVC tubbing but because of the cost of PVC that size, $8 per foot, I though maybe I could use galvanized duct instead which is way cheaper.

Does anyone know if the Zinc? coating could have any side effects on cats with long exposure. I want to use quit a bit of it to tuild the tunnels/walkways. I can seal it up so no water get is and was thinking of lining it with carpet.

Thanks
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I really have no idea if there are toxicity issues, but I do wanna see some pics when you're done! Sounds like a fantastic cat enclosure. I have plans to build one for my 4 kitties next spring and am always looking for ideas.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Willing cat servant

Maybe a vet could answer that question I wish I knew but I want to see it finished! I'd love to take a look at that cat run ♥
Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM

Here are some shots. I'm hoping to let the cats out today when I attach the walls to the little side room. I still have to add some planters, hanging baskets, all the levels and pipes. Depending on my finances by next summer I'll keep on expanding the cage around the yard.

I still got some work on it. Gonna put in gravel between the brick ontop of the dirt to keep them out of the mud. I'll keep one section for grass and a water/bird fountain, the cats seem to like the neighbours.

I'll get more detail on it when its finished. Turned out to be way more expensive then I first planned. The ground was uneaven so we just did it this way. If I had it leveled I could have save quite a bit using rigid 2x2 corner brackets and 2x2 treated lumber.

Live and learn I guess.

Here are the photos

Name:  PB032411.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  PB032412.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  PB032413.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  68.4 KB

Last edited by end user; November 3rd, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Willing cat servant

Wow! Lucky cats
I don't think I could build that, I don't know how... Although I've never tried so you never know. This is a great idea. It's going to be and look awesome for your cats.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
Wow! Lucky cats
I don't think I could build that, I don't know how... Although I've never tried so you never know. This is a great idea. It's going to be and look awesome for your cats.
Just spoke to a vet and he said he couldn't see any problems with galavanized duct and cat even with it being outside. I'll check with one more vet and then time to buy some tubes, elbows and tees

I've never done this before but now that I have its pretty straight forward although I did learn some things that will make it much easier next time.

Because the ground is uneaven this caused most of the heaches especially with the chicken wire as I could have used 2x2 lumber making it WAY cheaper. You can also save lots of $$$ by going though craigslist and looking for free stuff. I got all the river bed rocks and bricks for free.

Oh also I'm planning to do a live 24/7 streaming webcam in the cat run. Should have that set up next week.
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Willing cat servant

If I ever attempt this I'll make sure to remember the uneven ground issue which must be pretty common in most gardens and the free stuff.
Also for a human seems like a fun project as well
And we've also learned that galvanized is not toxic for cats.
Gah! I gotta go one of my fur babies is going all nuts on me because it's morning feeding time.

Love your project