Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:41 PM

Puppy Help

Hello! My family adopted a Border Collie puppy a few months ago, he is 5 months old right now and he really is sweet. In the beginning we had problems with him nipping ankles but he doesn't do that anymore. We only have one or two pretty bad problems and we could really use help.

Our puppy bites and sometimes it doesn't really seem that playful. We have tried a muzzle, ignoring him, using a spray bottle, saying no, even lightly tapping him, and he just keeps biting. I have tried doing some sort of correctional training where you put your hand near him and if he bites it you walk away, but if he doesn't you give him a treat, and it doesn't seem to be helping. It is really getting pretty serious and he has even brought blood. Could this be result of not enough exercise or is it that he thinks he is dominant or what?

Another problem that we have is that he is a little dominant over things such as his food, people food that drops on the floor, things hanging off chairs, and objects that he's taken, such as shoes that were left on the floor accidentally. I have tried to just take it away and show that I have control but he just does not let go and it turns into a tug of war involving him growling at me and eventually letting go of the item all together and just snapping at me. His food is no different.

I appreciate any help that you can offer and I'm really hoping that there is a way to fix these behavioral issues. Thank you so much!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Border Collies are herding dogs and your puppy it trying to herd you. They are very intelligent dogs and need a job to do or they'll get very bored . They also plenty of exercise , do you have a big yard for puppy to run around in ? Will you using your dog to herd animals or did get your puppy as house pet ? If you got him for a house pet you could try to find farm that let your dog some herding , otherwise you will have one very bored restless dog . I knew someone that had a working dog for a pet and the dog ripped the kitchen floor up out of boredom.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bordercollie.htm

Last edited by Barkingdog; May 23rd, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

You do not have behavioural issues. You have a misunderstood puppy. Border Collies are a very intelligent, high energy breed and they benefit from a knowledgeble owner who can keep up with them and direct their minds and energies.

What training classes are you doing with pup? Classes with an instructor familiar with the breed will you the most. BC thrive in fast action competitive dog sports like agility. He is too young to compete but introductory agility classes would be great. BC also are top winners in Obedience trials and he is not too young to start in competitive Obedience. I would go for one of those whether you intend to compete or not just to get the higher level of training that you and he will need.

This breed needs a lot of mental stimulation along with exercise. Have you seen the joke about how many dogs does it take of each breed to change a light bulb?

Quote:
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?

Afghan: Light bulb? What light bulb?

Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned-out light bulb?

Border Collie: Just one. And I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

Dachshund: I can't reach the stupid lamp!

Toy Poodle: I'll just blow in the border collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

Rottweiler: Make Me!

Shi-tzu: Puh-leeze, dahling. I have servants for that sort of thing.

Lab: Oh, me, me!!! Pleeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh?

Malemute: Let the border collie do it. You can feed me while he's busy.

Springer Spaniel: Light bulb? Light bulb? That thing I just ate was a light bulb?

Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I'm just as cuddly in the dark.

Collie: While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.

Mastiff: Mastiffs are NOT afraid of the dark.
If you don't give your BC a job to do and teach him how to do it he'll find a job for himself. He might literally rewire your house, no kidding. This breed is far too smart and energetic for me, would love one but I know what I can handle, my Lab is enough. I find this joke is very good at describing the temperament typical to each breed.

In the meantime, patience. You are doing the right things, it will get better, it just takes time. But please, get into classes so you can learn how to enjoy your pup to bring out the best of his abilities. That will make you both happy.
Old May 24th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
You do not have behavioural issues. You have a misunderstood puppy. Border Collies are a very intelligent, high energy breed and they benefit from a knowledgeble owner who can keep up with them and direct their minds and energies.

What training classes are you doing with pup? Classes with an instructor familiar with the breed will you the most. BC thrive in fast action competitive dog sports like agility. He is too young to compete but introductory agility classes would be great. BC also are top winners in Obedience trials and he is not too young to start in competitive Obedience. I would go for one of those whether you intend to compete or not just to get the higher level of training that you and he will need.

This breed needs a lot of mental stimulation along with exercise. Have you seen the joke about how many dogs does it take of each breed to change a light bulb?

If you don't give your BC a job to do and teach him how to do it he'll find a job for himself. He might literally rewire your house, no kidding. This breed is far too smart and energetic for me, would love one but I know what I can handle, my Lab is enough. I find this joke is very good at describing the temperament typical to each breed.

In the meantime, patience. You are doing the right things, it will get better, it just takes time. But please, get into classes so you can learn how to enjoy your pup to bring out the best of his abilities. That will make you both happy.

Very well said Longblades , , and wanted to ask the OP if they did any research on BC before adopting one.
Old May 25th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Came back to give you this link to the Doggone Safe site and the link within on how to handle resource guarding, in particular food.

http://www.doggonesafe.com/

http://www.cappdt.ca/UserFiles/File/...%20parents.pdf

Please let us know how you get on with puppy.
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I second that!!! Try Agility classes it is so much fun and you get exercise too! I miss it. Direct your pups energy and it's just as good as obedience because the dog must watch and respond to your directions.