Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am crying

More and more and more

The GO Trout flavour if you can get some at Global is lip smacking good to kitties.

Me too. But happy tears.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
-

Zippety Do Dah !!!

Wowzers ......that is great news.

Sending lots of that Benni has finally turned the corner.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

aww 14+ i am soo happy for you and benni,all your stress and hard work paid off,or benni just started to realize,if she does not eat,she'll never get out of there
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Go Benni, Go!!! (doing the happy-eating-dance over here). Try some canned salmon and sardines while you're at it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

And the verdict is - blood work is wonderful except for slightly elevated calcium which could indicate cancer. I *think* it is supposed to be 10 or 11. Benni's is 12.1. The vet is not concerned. She said considering what the workup was the last time this is a major improvement. She said just keep doing what I am doing and bring her back in six months for more blood tests unless of course things change.
Benni was pretty worked up on the way home. I have never heard her rattle the bars on her carrier before. When I got her home and opened the doors she headed immediately to her hard food. I know, hard food. But at least it's food. She was hungry! I can't tell you how that makes me feel.

Now poor Orbit.... I took him along because I have UTIs going through the catuary. He is the worse with his breathing and not being able to eat. They hydrated him there. I am going to be doing it here for a few days too just to get him back to what he was. He is on a few doses of Metacam (only a few), Clavaseptin and Buprenorphine. She also sent me home with some extra Clavaseptin for the other kitties that are sick and five bags of food she had donated to her rescue. That will help out a bit. The cost of the visit, bloodwork and meds was $360. 'Course I would pay it again in a heartbeat for the good news today.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

YAAAAY benni you go girl.....14+ i've been watching this thread and i'm soooooo happy Benni is starting to eat on her own..
Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

YAY FOR BENNI.

What is up with all the elevated calcium lately Puddles was at 3.26, normal 2-2.9. I don't know how that translates to your range . When I changed her diet, it slowly went down.

Sending for Orbit

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

I don't know L4. I thought maybe the salt in the tuna may have been enough to do it? Hopefully when she is tested in six months it will be fine.
I forgot the important thing. Benni has actually gained an ounce. Here I thought she was losing and I wasnt' feeding her enough. Whew!!!

I got her some GO trout, some BC chicken, and a can of the Weruva tuna and shrimp (I think). They were out of the BC tuna . So far she has turned her nose up at the GO trout so I gave her a feeding. Of course she didn't eat much but I figure what she's eaten on her own today is great!! Let's hope she keeps it up now.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Willing cat servant

Awesome. I often remember Benni's case and wish her luck and to be well. Nice to hear
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
-

Woooo Hoooo Benni

You must be so relieved ....I hope she is soon eating completely on her own.

Now poor Orbit ....I hope the AB's work quickly to get rid of his UTI and the rest of the catty cats.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How is Benni doing this morning?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
-

Quote:
How is Benni doing this morning?
14k shouldn't be on the comp this morning L4H....she should be getting ready to come to my place
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

14+ I am so happy for Benni and for you.

I remember the stress and worry trying to get Briar to eat. It is nice to hear good news.

I know you won't read this till you get back, hope you remembered your camera.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
14k shouldn't be on the comp this morning L4H....she should be getting ready to come to my place
But I gotta know . OK then a quick update when she gets to your place , patience is not a virtue I have

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
-

for Benni
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, I'm so happy to read Benni has decided to eat! I was going to write also that Meow had been using a tube for Simba for quite some time. I know she's on Facebook often so if you have a chance, maybe just email her there.

As for the tuna, I now and then buy my gang the Bumble Bee w/olive oil as a treat. I don't know if they sell that there, but maybe that would be another alternative if she gets tired of the regular stuff in water.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

LOL Sorry L4. Benni would not touch the BC chicken or the Weruva Tuna and Shrimp. I opened another can of plain tuna in water and she ate about the same as yesterday. PV was out of the BC tuna when I went down. I'm hoping it's back by the weekend. Funny thing is she seems to want me standing close to her when she's eating. I guess not so funny when you think for the last two plus months I've been force feeding her.
Chris sent me home with a can of Instincts rabbit. I will try her with it tomorrow.

Sylvie - my batteries are just about done. They are the rechargeable ones but they don't hold a charge much anymore. I have to get new ones when I remember. kr took tons of pics though.

Just want to say thanks a ton for the continued support. It means a lot to me.

Old November 4th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You know, Jasper wants me to sit or stand beside him when he eats

That's too bad, she didn't eat , maybe she was waiting for you to feed her . Did you try putting the food on a spoon?

I do think she is on her way to recovery, it is just going to take some time.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

14+That's what I did with Rocky,let him lick the food off a soup-spoon,maybe that would be easier for Benni too
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Y Did you try putting the food on a spoon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
14+That's what I did with Rocky,let him lick the food off a soup-spoon,maybe that would be easier for Benni too
Been there. She turns her head.

I opened the rabbit Chris sent me home with yesterday. No luck. Not even the juice. Sooo, we're back to tuna. I always leave another food in with her hoping one time she'll try it. Always the tuna. But she's still eating it so I guess that's what she eats. I hope PV had the BC tuna in now.

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Been there. She turns her head.

I opened the rabbit Chris sent me home with yesterday. No luck. Not even the juice. Sooo, we're back to tuna. I always leave another food in with her hoping one time she'll try it. Always the tuna. But she's still eating it so I guess that's what she eats. I hope PV had the BC tuna in now.
You could try the NOW Trout flavour? I'll try to remember to pass on some Almo tuna and shrimp to who ever I am dropping off Heidi to and perhaps somebody can get the food to you . But I am old and the memory just isn't what it used to be . I'll put in some NOW also.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My cats didn't really like the Rabbit either, but since I started putting half raw in it they will eat it .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

How about stinky sardines in a can?
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:37 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
You could try the NOW Trout flavour? I'll try to remember to pass on some Almo tuna and shrimp to who ever I am dropping off Heidi to and perhaps somebody can get the food to you . But I am old and the memory just isn't what it used to be . I'll put in some NOW also.
I have tried the NOW Trout. It is one of the now 8 partially eaten cans in my fridge. No go. I will be using them for the other kitties or blending them up to force feed her. I have found a better way of doing it so it's not as stressful on her or me. I put her in her basket and just hold her head up gently to feed her. She seems to accept that better than being wrapped in a blanket. Go figure.

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
How about stinky sardines in a can?
She hates stinky sardines. Not too crazy about salmon either. This girl is very picky. Very picky. Good thing I love her.

Old November 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Well tuna is better than nothing right! I hope she keeps snacking on the tuna 14+. It's good that she's willing to let you feed her without wrapping her, I think that's a positive sign really. Keep up the good work with her, it will pay off.
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:44 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ah carp...i didn't think of bringin you some almo tuna from Global...even when palomine is being finicky he'll eat that and it's a smaller can than the people stuff, there is a tuna and cheese flavour too that I get when he's off his food.

Oh and I soooooo loved getting to snuggle Benni yesturday....such a treat!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 4th, 2010, 02:45 PM

glad to hear she is starting to eat on her own just a thought what about mixing the tuna with another fish flavor canned? start off with 3/4 tuna, 1/4 new, then to 1/2 / 1/2 after a couple days if she is eating all and so on till you are on the new food total?
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks TQ. We'll be doing lots of talking today. And umm, Benni's a girl. But I won't tell her you called her a boy. Benni is after George Lopez's mom on his old show. You know, she was a real biatch. Benni on her good days is too.
OOps sorry Miss Benni...my apologies.

Quote:
Well, the whole feeding tube may be unnecessary after all because SHE ATE TUNA!!! She did the normal turning her face away from the food and trying to bury the dish but I put a little of the broth on her lips. She seemed more interested then so I took some tuna and put it in front of her. She probably ate a good tablespoon or more! Now I'm praying she will move on to other foods too.
YEAHHHHHHHH Benni!! *doing the happy dance*

14+ Willie likes it when i'm with him when he eats, so does Mindy.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear she's eating, 14+! Good job, Benni...now you gotta work on variety!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."