Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old June 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

My poor Chretien....

Our parrot fish, Chretien (he has a lopsided lip....so the name) has been sick for almost a month now, I've been to the fish store (a specialty store with just fish and the owners are really knowledgable, I got medicine and followed her instructions for the partial water changes and putting the other filter in the hot magnum filter we have. (I also have a whisper quiet one from walmart that I could use if it would help and a fluval too.) The lady thinks it's swim bladder, he is floating at the top, not completely unable to swim, but it takes great effort and he can't for long, and after 4 weeks of meds etc he is now bent nearly in half like his spine is curved. He hasn't eaten much in the last two days despite my cutting up and trying to feed him his favorite frozen blood worm. I'm going back to the fish store tomorrow to see if there is anything else I can do. He is the only fish in that tank as we couldn't get him to accept any other fish. And we are having some issues with Chase's heater (this is hubby's tank and fish are usually his domain, but he's not here so I'm the one fretting over his fish), the water was too warm, in the 90's due to a heater malfunction and we can't seem to get it just right again, so I may swap out my heater for his as I don't really need one for my goldfish. I'll take a water sample to the fish people, but I'd appreciate any advice you fish enthusiasts might have for me. Despite it being hubby's tank, I am very attached to our Chretien!
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor little guy. I hope you can find a way to help him.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Swift Tribe

lots of small water changes. maybe 20% or so daily. try an antibacterial food and shelled peas for a week. you can also add epsom salt to the water, 2tbs/1g. just make sure you compensate for water evaporation when adding salt to the new water as salt doesnt evaporate.

if you have already fed antibacterial food (not sure what meds you gave for 4 weeks) and he is still bent(???) then its like FW TB (no need to freak) and its incurable. if THATS the case, euthanize. use clove oil, 5 drops per ounce of tank water. shake well, add fish. when he stops moving, put him in the freezer.

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no Dahmer,look at that beautiful eye,I had a tank once(supposed to be hubbies)and I fell in love with our almost foot-long Pleco,but I have no experience with sick fishys.
Hope he'll be ok
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
lots of small water changes. maybe 20% or so daily. try an antibacterial food and shelled peas for a week. you can also add epsom salt to the water, 2tbs/1g. just make sure you compensate for water evaporation when adding salt to the new water as salt doesnt evaporate.

if you have already fed antibacterial food (not sure what meds you gave for 4 weeks) and he is still bent(???) then its like FW TB (no need to freak) and its incurable. if THATS the case, euthanize. use clove oil, 5 drops per ounce of tank water. shake well, add fish. when he stops moving, put him in the freezer.
I agree.

I haven't had good look treating swim bladder issues though, so if he doesn't recover don't feel bad. I think a lot of swim bladder issues stem from other illnesse, and unless there's other outward signs there's no definitive treatment because you're not sure exactly what you should be treating for.
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Swift Tribe

oh oh oh and when i said 'tank water' i meant you take water out of the tank, put it in a separate container and THEN add clove oil, shake well, then add fish.

just to clarify.... adding clove oil to your fish tank will kill the fish and water changes will not help. it will render the tank completely unusable.

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
-

kdr, how is Chretien doing?
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks for asking Rainbow! He has recovered from the swim bladder after 3 rounds of anti-biotics, so he is no longer floating at the top, unfortunately he is still bent and has difficulty swimming, but he still watches us and eats, and seems to like it when I hold him and stroke his head, so I am reluctant to give up. He's our special needs fish now...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:53 AM
-

Glad he has recovered but too bad about his spine. :sad: