Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM

How to prepair dogs for a lack of attention so to speak?

Ok, so i am expecting a baby in october and tonight as i was laying on the couch i realized that i am not going to be able to spend as much time with my dogs cuddling them and such when the baby comes. They are both year old chihuahuas and are good with kids becuse i got them when my youngest was 9 months. But with a new baby comming i am not going to be able to spend hours with them playign with them and cuddling them How do you prepare dogs to get use to not having me as a snuggle partner 24/7. i have been crating them at night because they have been fighting over who gets to sleep on my stomach and i dont get to sleep. Any websites or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated. MY husband and my older son do play with them and walk them daily so it isn't like they will be ignored.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Just do what you did when you had the 9mth old...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Just do what you did when you had the 9mth old...
i cuddled all of them right from the get go. I just know i won't be able to spend as much time with them cuddling wise and i feel guilty about it because i think of them as my extended childern. maybe once the baby comes they will realize it on their own? I don't know. It is going to be hard cuddling two dogs, a 6 year old and a 22 month old with a new baby :S
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:10 PM

lol I'm expecting my first grandchild in October and wondering how the two pups of my son and his fiancee and my pup Romeo will react. It sounds like you really have everything in place for your furbabies (I love chihuahuas by the way, Romeo is a pug/chi mix) ~ sounds like they have a loving family, and I'm sure you'll find quality time, maybe not as much, but they will learn to adapt to the new schedule. Don't be too hard on yourself and let your family help lighten the cuddling load
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe instead of having as much time to cuddle with them, u can talk to them more while u are making meals, changing the baby etc. So they know u are still paying attention to them while u are tending to the baby.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the advice. I guess what I am most worried about is them becomming jealous. They are amazing with kids and are very social. Have been to obedience classes, and know not to play with baby toys and to stay out of the kids bedrooms. Currently my husband and I both work full time so when we get home from work, it is supper then homeowrk with my oldest their walk time and play time, then cuddle time when we watch tv and unwind for the night. We have kind of designated the before work and after work their time. And once the new baby comes home, and i am on maternity leave that they will think it is their time because i am home. I have been making them lay beside me when i am on the couch instead of on top of me (which they have been doing) But i don't want to make them feel like their being punished. sorry for the rambling.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM

I would put your dogs on a schedule, as you would a baby, they should have a set time for walks, feeding and when the baby is down for a nap that is when you could spend some time cuddling them. Dogs adjust very well to change, it's humans that make things complicated....