Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old December 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
-

Medi cal gastro intestinal fibre response

Lately our Vet has been asking me to consider giving this food to Herbie for his Megacolon problems. He thinks that by feeding this to him that he will be able to do without his medications, currently he takes lactulose and cicpride twice a day.

I'm on the fence....I know the Vet is not trying to push the food for monetary gain...I'm wondering what is the best of two evils.....this food v taking medication.

Any input would be appreciated

Ingredients Rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat, Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Gluten, Ground Psyllium Husk, Chicory Pulp, Dried Egg Powder, Natural Flavour, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil, Calcium Sulphate, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Monosodium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, Salt, Soybean Oil, Monopotassium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Brewer’s Yeast Extract (Source of Mannan- Oligosaccharides), Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Taurine, Vitamins (DL-Alpha-Tocopherol [Source of Vitamin E], L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C], Niacin, Biotin, Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement and Vitamin D3 Supplement), Marigold Extract (Source of Lutein) and Trace Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulphate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Sulphate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate and Sodium Selenite). Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract and Citric Acid. Approximately 377 kcal/cup, 388 kcal/100 g, 97 g/cup Analysis table Amount
Protein (g/1000 kcal) 79.9
Fat (g/1000 kcal) 38.7
Fibre (g/1000 kcal) 7.0
EPA/DHA (g/1000 kcal) 0.8
Minerals Amount
Calcium (g/1000 kcal) 2.7
Phosphorus (g/1000 kcal) 2.6
Sodium (g/1000 kcal) 1.2
Potassium (g/1000 kcal) 2.5
Magnesium (g/1000 kcal) 0.2
Other nutrients Amount
Taurine (g/1000 kcal) 0.5
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM
-

Those ingredients look like they are a kibble food .....do you know if it comes in canned?
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Those ingredients look like they are a kibble food .....do you know if it comes in canned?
It is kibble....the only canned I can see is Medi Cal Gastro, which wouldn't have the same effect.

That's why I'm wondering what it is best of two evils kibble v meds.
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:56 PM
-

The only ingredient in the Medi-Cal food that is going to help is the Psyllium Husk. I think that's what is in Metamucil and didn't you try that for Herbie already?
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM
-

Quote:
The only ingredient in the Medi-Cal food that is going to help is the Psyllium Husk. I think that's what is in Metamucil and didn't you try that for Herbie already?
Yep, he gets 1/4 tsp twice a day in food....I'm gonna ask the Vet what makes him so gung-ho about this food.
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Yep, he gets 1/4 tsp twice a day in food....I'm gonna ask the Vet what makes him so gung-ho about this food.
I would also wait until the cat gurus give their inputs here.

Have you read the info on this website? .....

http://www.felinecrf.org/constipation.htm
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM
-

Quote:
I would also wait until the cat gurus give their inputs here.

I will

Have you read the info on this website? .....

http://www.felinecrf.org/constipation.htm
I hadn't, I just scanned it now....not really Herbie's case though....with the megacolon the stools are large in diameter.....dog size.
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
-

Quote:
I hadn't, I just scanned it now....not really Herbie's case though....with the megacolon the stools are large in diameter.....dog size.
I only skimmed over the page but noticed this ....

Quote:
Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin)

Some people whose cats have megacolon (a bowel disorder which causes severe constipation) have found that giving vitamin B12 in the form of methylcobalamin is a helpful preventative tratment. See Food Composition & Nutritional Requirements for more information.
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
-

Quote:
I only skimmed over the page but noticed this ....
Quote:

Some people whose cats have megacolon (a bowel disorder which causes severe constipation) have found that giving vitamin B12 in the form of methylcobalamin is a helpful preventative tratment. See Food Composition & Nutritional

I didn't read that far down ....that's interesting though maybe it would help....I'll read deeper into it tomorrow, thanks Rainbow
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I used the Medi-cal for Quince when he first started to show symptoms. He loved it....so did everyone else, I thought maybe the corn as the first ingredient made it sweet to taste for them, but as you know, I gave up on it for something with a lot more chicken as the first ingedient and kept up with the metamucil....and the other meds.
IMHO, none of them really seemed improved in their bowel habits, especially Quincy, on the medi-cal and I am happier giving the metamucil to the one in the gang that needs it and not everyone.
My opinion, I was not impressed with the food and it worked out to being a lot more expensive in the long haul since 5 were consuming it and in my mind, they were just eating more corn....and with Milo's penchant for allergies, I preferred not to risk it.
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm on the fence....I know the Vet is not trying to push the food for monetary gain...I'm wondering what is the best of two evils.....this food v taking medication.
If only it were that simple! But even if you were able to stop the lactulose and cisapride by simply feeding this, you might very well end up swapping those for other meds, like insulin or prednisone. This food has some pretty horrific ingredients, as I'm sure you know. I'd love to know how any vet thinks feeding it can possibly be good for any cat. If extra fibre is needed, that can easily be added to a better quality wet food. There simply is no justification for resorting to a moisture-depleted, high carb, low-quality (and expensive!) kibble.

Quote:
Methyl-B can be helpful in cases where nerve function in the bowels has diminished, which may be an aspect of megacolon. It's often used to treat diabetic neuropathy. Is typically administered sublingually (not really possible with cats, so mixing it with food or a treat is usually good enough). Injectable Methyl-B may be preferred in older cats or those with digestive issues because it may not be as readily absorbed via the intestines. Some reading for you:
http://www.nutritionaltest.com/methyl.html
http://www.harpsie.com/constipation.htm#methylcobalamin

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I am by no stretch of the imagination a cat food guru. But have you checked out Serengetti cat food a friend of mine has one of her kittys on it that has a bowel issue and is using this food and has found a marked improvement she does add something to it but not sure if it is B12 or not. But you may want to check there site the food is high quality
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
But have you checked out Serengetti cat food
Unfortunately Serengeti only comes in kibble form (that I know of), which isn't a good idea for cats with constipation issues (they really need the moisture in wet food).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks did not know that
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
If only it were that simple! But even if you were able to stop the lactulose and cisapride by simply feeding this, you might very well end up swapping those for other meds, like insulin or prednisone.

That's what I was thinking SCM...to date with the exception of his current condition Herbie has never been sick.

This food has some pretty horrific ingredients, as I'm sure you know. I'd love to know how any vet thinks feeding it can possibly be good for any cat.

He is of the belief that kibble helps clean cats teeth

If extra fibre is needed, that can easily be added to a better quality wet food. There simply is no justification for resorting to a moisture-depleted, high carb, low-quality (and expensive!) kibble.

As I've already said I do add psyllium husk to his food with plenty of water, Herbie's food looks more like soup but he seems to like it well enough

Methyl-B can be helpful in cases where nerve function in the bowels has diminished, which may be an aspect of megacolon.

Do you think it is worth trying and if so what dose should be administered?

Injectable Methyl-B may be preferred in older cats or those with digestive issues because it may not be as readily absorbed via the intestines.
Herbie will be 16 in March, he very rarely vomits....would that not be a sign of digestive issues?

I don't expect to get through the winter without a visit to the Vet's...we haven't in the last 6 years , but maybe by trying the B12 ...what do you think?

Thanks for the links SCM

Last edited by Chris21711; December 8th, 2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Sometimes I'm not too swift....sigh