Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
when I caught kmk... I put the carrier on it's end, door end up and open, then I put the canned food and treats right beside it and kneeled down behind where he would have to sit and eat (like where his butt would face- the food was against something-the carrier maybe I don't recall- so he'd have to eat it in one direction) then after he got comfy eating I quickly scruffed him and dropped him in the carrier and shut the door. he only got in a couple scratches as I recall, but made it sound like I was killing him with all the screeching and hissing.
I just got a chance to catch up on here so add my hoping that you catch her soon!
I think the problem with this one kr, is that she backs off as soon as she sees the carrier. She won't come close.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:39 PM
~Cat Servent~

oh kmk did too, that's why I put it on it's end and put the food next to it first then sat down, he was starving though so the food was more important that being leery of the carrier I guess.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM

should i really be worried abour rabies now?? i am going to the dr. tomorrow morning just on the safe side so he can take a look and make sure it doesnt look funny but my thumb is throbbing... thats where she chomped...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
oh kmk did too, that's why I put it on it's end and put the food next to it first then sat down, he was starving though so the food was more important that being leery of the carrier I guess.
Yep, that's our boy. Very food motivated. About the only time he might be friendly for a minute or two. He loves his treats too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
should i really be worried abour rabies now?? i am going to the dr. tomorrow morning just on the safe side so he can take a look and make sure it doesnt look funny but my thumb is throbbing... thats where she chomped...
I personally wouldn't be too worried about rabies. I don't think there's been a case around for quite some time.
I would expect the throbbing. Our minds work in wonderful ways. As soon as someone says infection or something we start imagining all kinds of weird and wacky things. You will be fine. The doc will take a good look at your wounds and probably give you a tenanus shot if you haven't had one lately. IF they suspect rabies (unlikely) remember the only way to know for sure is to euthanize the suspected carrier. Don't worry. I know. Easier said than done.

Old May 28th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Masha,I have been attacked by my own cat,about 4 times,once needing IV antibiotics.
It's the bites that will usually cause an infection,the scratches not always,in my experience.
I too would say,not to worry about Rabies,but if you have not had a Tetanus-shot in the past 10 yrs,you should have one.
I don't know much about stray/feral cats,but believe lifting her might have caused her to freak out,not that she wouldn't if caught on the ground,but you would be better protected.
My vet always has to wrap my Rocky in a thick bath-towel to be able to take his blood every three months.
I hope the TCR can help out
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There hasn't been a case of rabies for years and it would not likely be in a cat, more likely a raccoon, skunk or fox.

I think they only way you will get this cat is by trap, if she is hungry enough, she will risk going into the trap.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

eastern ontario is now known as "rabies free" because there hasn't been a case in a little of 8 yrs, it takes 7 yrs (no idea why 7) to become rabie free.
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:52 AM
-

Quote:

gulp.... rabies shot?? really.... oy....
yep , don't worry , I hate needles too and it wasn't that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I personally wouldn't be too worried about rabies.
Yep , they will give you the shot as a precaution. When it happened to me , since the cat was a stray that my neighbor would feed , they called him (I think it was environnement Canada or something) and ask he watch the cat for the next 10 days for sign of rabies. If the cat had been infected , and showed signs , I would have needed 4 more shots.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Just came back from the Dr. and they want me to take antibitics for three days and to have the rabies vaccine as a precaution, even though they said 'not likely' that i would have it but better be safe they said... so they will call me when they get it delivered.... just some shots in the arm, no biggie... its not the 'stomach shots' that they used to give a while back...

Old May 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
-

Quote:
its not the 'stomach shots' that they used to give a while back...
in the stomach ?

I had one when I was a kid (bit by an angry squirrel ) and a few years ago because of the stray cat. Both times were shots in the arm. Thank dog !
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM

arent they supposed to give an inital shot in the wound site? thats what i read everywhere but the dr. said thats for big wounds snot for when its small one on a finger.. but all the online stuff says 'must give in wound'

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
-

Quote:
arent they supposed to give an inital shot in the wound site? thats what i read everywhere but the dr. said thats for big wounds snot for when its small one on a finger.. but all the online stuff says 'must give in wound'
I never heard of that Masha. I would have probably died if they wanted to put a needle in the wound yes , I'm a wuss.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've never heard of anyone getting a shot at the wound site, Masha. I suppose if you'd been bit in the thigh or in the butt, they could give the first shot in the area, but fingers aren't very big.

The rabies vaccine used to be a series of belly shots and very painful, but they've changed the 'formula' and give it in the arm now. It'll be a piece of cake!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM

When I was still grooming, there had been an outbreak of rabies, and anyone, and I mean anyone (RCMP, Forestry, Vets., Ambulance people, and myself (groomer),) that was handling animals were advised to get the rabies shot.

It was a series of 3 shots, having to be exact on given dates. the first 2 were a week apart, and the 3rd one was 21 days later. All shots were given in the arm, and were painful. The arm was swollen, hot and sore for the whole time. I could not lay on, or put any pressure on my arm for that entire time. It was a rude awakening if I rolled over.

After I got my shots, I would tell my clients, that I wouldn't give rabies if the dog bit me.

I had no other reaction, other than a sore arm, and the inconvenience of having to go to the health unit to get the shots.

At least, not one of us that got those shots, had to have the ones in the stomach.

take care
binky
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM

well i am back. First vaccine shot done, as well as a shot of immunoglobin (sp)... the immunoglobin one is administered when its a post exposure vaccine. nurse explained that indeed the immunoglobin is generally done in the wound, however when its something like a finger or tow, that is small, they try not to as it will be very painful and difficult. another four shots left for me... but it didnt hurt

i hope this kitty is caught and she finds a good home. she is a sweet kitty and i dont blame her for her reaction... i too would be scared if a big unknown thing trried to pick me up...

Old May 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

So are you not going to try and confine the cat? I would try and get others involved. Expecially since this cat is pregnant. I know you have tried a few times, but please don't give up. You could go and set up a humane trap and wait, since she comes out, when she sees you, it shouldn't take long. I had someone do this...just set it up with some food inside and backed away. She had the cat in about an hour. She walked a few feet away from the trap, sat down, had packed a lunch for herself lol and within the hour, cat was in trap.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM

14+ said that she messaged her contact at TCR... so hoopefully they will be able to get her. I dont have a trap and even if i caught her i dont knwo how i would handle her ie. in and out of the crate for later on... i think since she is a fiesty girl, better let TCR do this..

14+ -- if they want me to show them exactly where she is, its not a problem, i can come out and meet with them; she is always in the same area.....

Old May 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
14+ said that she messaged her contact at TCR... so hoopefully they will be able to get her. I dont have a trap and even if i caught her i dont knwo how i would handle her ie. in and out of the crate for later on... i think since she is a fiesty girl, better let TCR do this..

14+ -- if they want me to show them exactly where she is, its not a problem, i can come out and meet with them; she is always in the same area.....
The message has now been forwarded to the trappers so hopefully they will catch her soon. I sent along the exact words that Maruska stated here and the pictures she attached so they know what she looks like. I hope she cooperates and goes into the trap.
I really appreciate the effort you have gone to Masha to try to catch this stubborn girl! You and Maruska. It means a lot to know there are people who care enough to help.

Old May 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I double that
she'll let herself be caught
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cats who don't want to be caught are very difficult to catch, you two have done a wonderful job . Hopefully, this girl will be hungry enough to get herself trapped .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Just as an FYI - the word has been passed along to six trappers in the area. Hopefully one of them can catch this little one. Instructions are that they are to get in touch with me via email as soon as they have her.
Keep your and lots of coming folks.
If I lived closer I would give it a shot. I still may convince hubby to go for a drive if I haven't heard anything in a week. Not that I think I could catch her if others can't. She's just a wiley little thing.

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
well i am back. First vaccine shot done, as well as a shot of immunoglobin (sp)... the immunoglobin one is administered when its a post exposure vaccine. nurse explained that indeed the immunoglobin is generally done in the wound, however when its something like a finger or tow, that is small, they try not to as it will be very painful and difficult. another four shots left for me... but it didnt hurt

i hope this kitty is caught and she finds a good home. she is a sweet kitty and i dont blame her for her reaction... i too would be scared if a big unknown thing trried to pick me up...

I am sorry you have to go through all of this. I really didn't think they would do the rabies shots as there hasn't been a case of rabies in the area for so long. Hopefully it won't hurt too badly.
Years ago my brother in law had a dead stock removal business. He got a call for a horse that had died and went to pick it up. The farmer told him afterwards that the horse died of rabies. Because the carcass slipped and he had to grab at it as he was loading he had to had the shots. Back then (mid 70s) the needles were in the belly. Good thing he had lots of padding.

Old May 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Just came home from a park. I could not find her. I was there for almost 4 hours, trying to look for her and at times trying to be patient and wait for her to come to me. She did not show up. Mostly i was looking and waiting at her regular place, but before leaving did the scan of the other place. I left opened can of tuna at her regular place, in hopes she might come back there.
Masha, hope u getting better and all those shots would not be painful.
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM

i too thought they will just tell me 'oh dont worry about it, we dont have rabies here' but they said even though chance is small, since the kitty is from the park where there is a lot of wildlife like racoons and such that its better to err on the safe side...

the shots didnt hurt at all, but aparently they sometimes do as she warned me several times that 'the second one will hurt, i will try to do it slow, its ok if it hurts'... but it didnt...